Ideal wood hauling trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the budget allows, get a dump trailer. I wish my budget allowed for one years and years ago. One disadvantage to the dump trailer is they typically sit a little high so loading over the side can be difficult with large pieces. Solution: load thru the back or get the larger style that has the tires on the sides instead of underneath. They seem to tow loaded a little better as well. The only other disadvantages of a dump trailer is the price and finding a nice one used. Used dumps are kind of like used Super splitters, when you finally find one used they are usually very used and the owner is selling it because there is a new one in the garage. That tells me they are worth their weight.

I use a short box diesel super duty and a 5 X 8 trailer with a tall steel drop down ramp in the rear. The trailer was built nice and low to the ground for easier loading (also so motorcycle frames don't scrape when loading). Large rounds get rolled up the ramp and everything else gets thrown over the sides. I haul about 3.5 face cords of wood at a time between the truck and trailer. It works for me because that is a good amount for me to cut and load when I have a few hours to be in the woods. The nice thing about a utility trailer is they are all over the place for sale (check craigslist) pretty cheap and their uses are pretty much unlimited. My recommendation is to find one with an "overkill" axle that is built to handle more weight than you can actually fit in the cargo area. Another advantage, off the top of my head, my 5' wide trailer follows my truck nicely through tight two-tracks. Sometimes I use my Jeep hooked to the trailer when it gets really tight or hilly. You can typically find them for around $700-$1500 with the heavier tires, frame, and axle.

I agree with XX about the narrow 5' trailer... I was looking for a 5x12 tandem axle for awhile but gave up because they aren't very common (most I found were 6x12) and my truck would end up spitting tranny parts all over the road if I actually used it to capacity very often.

The other is that I am 41, fat, and out of shape. By the time I get enough cut to load my present truck and trailer, I am ready to look for A/C, a fan, and a beer.

If I had a truck to pull it, a bigger trailer would be nice when the wood is a decent drive away. Would make the extra distance worth driving.

Ian

I've still been thinking/working on the trailer situation. I've narrowed things down to a carhauler approx 16' that I will add sides to for wood hauling and remove for other uses. I've found a new one that is rated at 7000 gross weight with brakes on both axles. The guy is firm on price at $2200. Should I pull the trigger or wait for a better deal. I'm not in a big hurry as I have a trailer I can borrow occasionally, but have been watching craigslist off and on for over a year. I've only seen a half-dozen or so I would be interested in looking at and they are 3-4 hours away - one way. So, should I pull the trigger?

:popcorn:

Pull the trigger

You can't go wrong with a car trailer. Like you said put wood sides on it and it can haul a lot of wood. Check to make sure the trailer wiring is all secure to the frame so that it can't get tuged off. Trust me on this. I would not make the sides one pc but split them up that way they are easier to take off and store. Some day if you want to upgrade trailers, you shuld be able to easily resell it.

Beefie

Yes good advice. Dump trailers look very nice I must admit but used car trailer are cheaper, easily modded, and have usually have brakes on both axles due to being rated for carrying a vehicle. My 16' trailer was $2500 brand new, weighs 1500 lbs empty but is rated for 5500 lbs gross which means the ability to carry 4000 lbs of wood, thats pretty decent. And yes low to the ground easy to load big stumps-heavy wood into. And it doubles as a car carrier, ATV/Rhino carrier and all around decent trash/moving trailer I have moved my brother 3 times in 6 years with it, furnature and other large items, bed mattresses, head boards, fridges fit easily on it. A real do it all type of trailer IMO.

:agree2: My exact thoughts as to the type of trailer I will someday own. One trailer I have in mind (built by Big Tex) is a 16' car hauler (brakes both axles) that is rated for 7000 lbs gross and weighs 1810 lbs empty, allowing for 5190 lbs of wood. Not sure what it costs, but I'm guessing around the $2500 mark.

Kevin

You can't go wrong with a car trailer. Like you said put wood sides on it and it can haul a lot of wood. Check to make sure the trailer wiring is all secure to the frame so that it can't get tuged off. Trust me on this. I would not make the sides one pc but split them up that way they are easier to take off and store. Some day if you want to upgrade trailers, you shuld be able to easily resell it.

Beefie

Good point.

Kevin

4' sides

4' long sides would be good . I would not want to go any shorter. I would not exceed 2' for height. It just gets to tall to throw wood over.

Beefie

P.s. print out a weight chart of wood and keep it in your truck , it gives you a handy reference to let you now how close you are to maximum weight on your trailer

Check Farm Auctions

Bought mine at a farm auction a little over $400 a few years ago.

and Bought this dumpkit on eBay for $500 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260404695806

I have aquired new 5" channel steel for a new main frame and toung , will be a long fun project when I get time to do it.I am going to lengthen the axles to be on the outside of the body, buying new brake axles later. Brakes still work on the current ones. A certified welder will be stick welding the critical welds.The current wheel position is too far back and will be placed correctly.

Cant wait!

woodtrailer2.jpg

Last edited:
I've still been thinking/working on the trailer situation. I've narrowed things down to a carhauler approx 16' that I will add sides to for wood hauling and remove for other uses. I've found a new one that is rated at 7000 gross weight with brakes on both axles. The guy is firm on price at $2200. Should I pull the trigger or wait for a better deal. I'm not in a big hurry as I have a trailer I can borrow occasionally, but have been watching craigslist off and on for over a year. I've only seen a half-dozen or so I would be interested in looking at and they are 3-4 hours away - one way. So, should I pull the trigger?

:popcorn:

I bought a Big Tex 16' car trailer that was 8 months old at an auction a couple of years ago for $1400, I'd keep looking. The 3500# axles under those trailers are a little light in my opinion, but that's just me. If you get a 7000# gvwr trailer don't run car tires on it, get good heavy trailer tires.
Hit some auctions, you should be able to come up with a 10000# trailer for $2200 or less. Even if you have to travel a little ways to get it it's worth it. You're trying to get what you need for what you can afford. I wouldn't settle for a light trailer, especially if there's not a big hurry. A good heavy duty trailer will serve you for many years, instead of being a thorne in your side.

Andy

Look at the "hog-back" on this load. I try to keep it under 70 MPH.

This thing dumps but only 4 or 5 pices fall off. Sometimes, I loose more than that on rough terrain.

Seriously? I would get an electro-hydro tandem-axle dump trailer to hold me over until my grandsons are old enough to help me unload (10 years).

If I had endless amouts of $$ I'd have both!!. a 12' Dump and a 16'-18' car hauler. Both have their Pro's & Cons.. Rigth now I use a 16' Tandem with a Mid height deck. I got a Good deal on it so I'm not going to complain but If I had to do it again I'd get either a low Car hauler or a Larger over the Wheel Deck.. The Dumps a very nice But I use my trailer to get Hay and 12' just isn't enough room.

Now that is a nice setup you have there Tennisbow. How big are those trailers. Is the one behind the atv store bought or home made. :clap:

Beefie

Tennisbow Welcome

Welcome to the best wood related site on the web. There is a lot of good people out there. why don't you post a new thread about yourself so everyone can say Hi .

Once again welcome aboard.

Beefie

Look at the "hog-back" on this load. I try to keep it under 70 MPH.

This thing dumps but only 4 or 5 pices fall off. Sometimes, I loose more than that on rough terrain.

Seriously? I would get an electro-hydro tandem-axle dump trailer to hold me over until my grandsons are old enough to help me unload (10 years).

cut the spring perches on the frame loose--dont destroy them!!! then, get a piece of seamless tube, the same size at what the perches were welded to on the frame. a little longer than the distance from the front to rear of the spring perches--weld the tube to the frame, then the perches on the bottom of that. just that little bit of height,, may be enough to kick the load off!! if the frame tube is 2 inches wide, you could also raise it 3 inches by using a 2x3 inch tube--for a 3 inch raise---instead of two--:):)

This is what i use to haul wood out with. This is a load of hickory.

My thread is the recipient of a very nice first post. Good job. I too would like to know if the trailer is homemade.

Back