Ideas for Tavern Grade Flooring for Cabin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas for some rustic flooring for a 700 square foot cabin. Something that’s not just run of the mill. Was thinking T&G Doug Fir from some old bridge timbers that aren’t milled yet.
Would random widths work and is T&G a must?
I could also use ultra fine grain fire killed white pine.
Any suggestions because this is new project I don’t have much experience with.
Thanks

do ya a "SHUFFLE BOARD" or "BOWLING ALLEY'" down the hallway :numberone:
Keep your edge grain in mind when milling your lumber. width of board is usually narrow to anticipate moisture/humidity variables that can mess with expansion and contraction.. I like your intrigue with fine grains.. :)

Would random widths work and is T&G a must?
I have seen wider flooring put down with screws through the face in a counter sunk flat bottom hole then plugged and sanded, plug can be a contrasting/complimenting wood Make sure your subfloor is solid and squeak free as well as fairly level. I have sanded the subfloor to get a better install and as a preventative for future movement of the "schitteree" as a whole.

I have seen wider flooring put down with screws through the face in a counter sunk flat bottom hole then plugged and sanded, plug can be a contrasting/complimenting wood Make sure your subfloor is solid and squeak free as well as fairly level. I have sanded the subfloor to get a better install and as a preventative for future movement of the "schitteree" as a whole.
You can get very intricate (and impress yourself) or rustic effects such as chain whipped wood -dented- and sledge hammered spikes or maybe wear some logger spikes to break in the floor before sanding and applying a finish. Would be a loss of nice lumber though.

You can get very intricate (and impress yourself) or rustic effects such as chain whipped wood -dented- and sledge hammered spikes or maybe wear some logger spikes to break in the floor before sanding and applying a finish. Would be a loss of nice lumber though.
Could I not charge extra for the distressed look and all the extra labour it would entail?
I could certainly beat up on boards with all the hand tools I’ve acquired.
Would milled railway ties make for a more homey look?
Thanks for the replies.

64E10F17-937D-4706-93DF-BECCACE7A4AC.jpeg Look what I just found in the bush this moment. Certainly remnants of the Alaska Highway.
Wish there was more, I’m sure it would have the required patina. Maybe I could get a harvest table out of the premium boards on the left.

Monterey Pine (AKA Radiata) is great for flooring. That is THE most common species of conifer tree grown in the world today. Does not grow north of California though. I have read that the pines in the Yukon are not chronically infected with bark beetles, like they are in BC or like my lodgepole pine stand is here. So maybe lodgepole pine flooring? Pine resists shrinkage and swelling which is important in flooring. Here is an example of what lodgepole pine flooring looks like, and what you want in a Lodgepole pine floor board profile for the best flooring:

https://www.fp-supply.com/st-louis-1x6-pine-flooring.html

I used tg off a old wooden silo in my man cave at my old house. Laid it down and rented a big belt sander to knock off ruffness
That’s a great idea! To have something few people have and a good story behind it.
It’s not so much saving money and time it’s about having a good conversation piece.
I was thinking about scrounging old skids and pallets as you can kind a good assortment of domestic and imported hardwood from cherry to Purple Heart.

Monterey Pine (AKA Radiata) is great for flooring. That is THE most common species of conifer tree grown in the world today. Does not grow north of California though. I have read that the pines in the Yukon are not chronically infected with bark beetles, like they are in BC or like my lodgepole pine stand is here. So maybe lodgepole pine flooring? Pine resists shrinkage and swelling which is important in flooring. Here is an example of what lodgepole pine flooring looks like, and what you want in a Lodgepole pine floor board profile for the best flooring:

https://www.fp-supply.com/st-louis-1x6-pine-flooring.html
That’s a sweet suggestion, I’m sure Ken Keesey would approve. There’s a lot of big lodgepole as well as tamarack here , but found only in secluded pockets. My head is swimming with all these great ideas.
I saw a tavern floor that was just 2x4’s on edge and the peanut shells to boot.

I
In what condition/position were you in when this floor was "SAWED by-you"?
HadTa ASK
I sawed it on or about 1997 in the town of Tomahawk Alberta.
I was vertical most of the time but could have been horizontal cause there was mostly ranchers in that town who had the erroneous idea they were tougher than I.
Sometimes I’m glad I’m a sawed off runt.

Back