Identify and fix my Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmorrell

Reaction score
Got a puppy a few years ago and she chewed up my Japanese Maple completely. Took off all branches and damaged the bark. I took it for dead but it had some growth the following year and more the next. But I’ve noticed what appears to be escalating issues. I need help identifying the problem(s) and how to fix them please. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg73333B8F-24C8-4695-BC38-8383AA056727.jpeg62B96E9D-3371-4302-8C13-4758F17D922D.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg73333B8F-24C8-4695-BC38-8383AA056727.jpeg62B96E9D-3371-4302-8C13-4758F17D922D.jpeg

The spots on the leaves almost look like a scale insect, but it is not Japanese Maple Scale and I am not familiar with a scale that feeds on the leaves of jap maple. Can you scrape the circles off with your finger nail?

The small leaf spots are a fungus, most likely phyllosticta. Not a concern, however the herbicide damage is, note the disfigured leaves. Also the dog damaged trunk is compromised, keep the tree small so it wont snap in the wind.

The spots on the leaves almost look like a scale insect, but it is not Japanese Maple Scale and I am not familiar with a scale that feeds on the leaves of jap maple. Can you scrape the circles off with your finger nail?
Yes, the white spots come off with a scrape of the nail.

The small leaf spots are a fungus, most likely phyllosticta. Not a concern, however the herbicide damage is, note the disfigured leaves. Also the dog damaged trunk is compromised, keep the tree small so it wont snap in the wind.
Is there a treatment for the fungus?
I haven’t used any herbicide. The white stuff on those leaf tops looked almost like dense spider webs but they were only there for the early stages of leaf develop emend this spring. It disappeared in the past few days and the leaves are full.
many recommendations for the trunk? Wrap it? Remove loose bark? Leave it as is?

Back