Idiot Stihl dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bet I know who that was!

Yep, You know who it was Mike, his initials are M.W. - Mr know-it-all, I'm telling the 100% honest truth about this too. You even saw the 026 sitting in my shop the last time you were here... Looks to me like they should have gotten him the part, no questions asked. I don't think the person in question has been a Stihl dealer for 22 years either

personally.. the dealer should have ordered the part.. the customer wanted the part... he is there to sell the part... what happened to the customer is always right? time to find a new dealer

My local Husky dealer takes parts like bar nuts off of display saws and sells them.....He only stocks Lawn mower parts....Saws are kinda like a side line for him...

My closest Stihl dealer only stocks Yamaha parts ............

So do I

I bet his goal in the long run was to sell him a new saw. I see it all the time. A guy brings me a saw that the local dealer said was not worth fixing, but would give him a great deal on a new one. I most of the time can fix the saw and I don't have a parts room full of new Stihl parts.

I would suspect that as well. Not what I would consider trustworthy.

O.K., So I'm helping a friend work on his 026, it's a good saw but he's had it for years and it's time for a good "tune up". His air filter & fuel line are about shot, and I told him it would be a good idea to replace the impulse line while we've got it apart.

He goes to the local hardware store / Stihl dealer and they won't sell him an impulse line - they don't have one in stock and the guy tells him that there's no reason to order one - they never go bad, says he's been a Stihl dealer for 22 years and he's never seen one go bad, he's never had to replace one and he'd just be wasting his money if he bought one.

My bud calls me and tells me what the guy told told him - my reply was "he's full of sh*t". I'd like to know what you guys think about this so I can show my friend this thread. Thanks

Should have bought a HUSKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :givebeer: :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

I agree!

O.K., So I'm helping a friend work on his 026, it's a good saw but he's had it for years and it's time for a good "tune up". His air filter & fuel line are about shot, and I told him it would be a good idea to replace the impulse line while we've got it apart.

He goes to the local hardware store / Stihl dealer and they won't sell him an impulse line - they don't have one in stock and the guy tells him that there's no reason to order one - they never go bad, says he's been a Stihl dealer for 22 years and he's never seen one go bad, he's never had to replace one and he'd just be wasting his money if he bought one.

My bud calls me and tells me what the guy told told him - my reply was "he's full of sh*t". I'd like to know what you guys think about this so I can show my friend this thread. Thanks

I had a Stihl dealer tell me about a month ago that I would have to change out my rim sprocket to change from a 3/8" .050 to 3/8 .063 B&C. The guy was not going to sell me the other parts unless I bought the rim also. Not that big of a deal and I probably could have used the rim anyway, but I'm not going to buy something from a person who is blowing smoke and not willing to admit they might not know as much as they think they do. I was so PO-ed when I walked out (without purchasing) I vowed not to spend another dime there. I think sometimes being an all mighty Stihl dealer goes to some peoples heads! This guy just could'nt get it through his head that the rim was the same for both even after looking at his top secret list, and the rim that said 3/8 and no specified gage. The good news is that most of the time there is another dealer not too far away that has his head screwed on straight and knows his stuff. Sometimes just another person at the same dealership. It is sometimes aggravating but it is also nice to have a reliable parts network pretty much anywhere you are.

The last Stihl dealership I worked at, at couple of guys came to the counter
wanting a new sprocket.
I set one on the counter, the one boy that "knew saws", started yelling
"No WAY!!!!. There is no way that is the correct sprocket!!!!"

After 10 minutes of back and forth discussion, he said. "If that's the
right sprocket, I'll eat that saw"

I said fine, I'll leave the sprocket on the counter, you go home and take off
the old sprocket, and bring it with you.

He said "Naw", "I am going to the dealer in Greenesburg, he knows what he
is doing!!!"

I put the sprocket back in stock, figured I would never see him again.

He actually came back a week later and apologized.

Kind of like that Hardees commercial about the goat, I guess.

They probably filmed that commercial in KY. Not too unusual to see a
goat in a wedding dress around here................

We see alot of 024/026's in for repair and the fuel line and impulse lines are replaced regularly. I also replace them as a set since if ones bad, likely the other is bad. Yes bad impulse lines can lean out a saw and toast them just like bad seals. Even if they didn't have the exact part number in stock most of the impulse lines are similar and a different one could be used in a snap.
Can you change an impulse line on a 024 without pulling the cylinder off?

Short answer....Yes! I use a set of long needle nose pliers to reach in there and remove / install the impulse hose on the little barbed fitting at the base of the cylinder. It's not real easy to do, but absolutely doable! No need to pull the cylinder.

Back