Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Idiotically Bright Headlights

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by FlyingDutchman, Nov 14, 2017.

1. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Row Seatin'

Seems like more and more people are putting aftermarket HID/LED headlights in stock incandescent housings causing them to be blinding even on low beams. Its annoying. Now, some OEM headlights are insanely bright, especially the newer Chevy trucks with a leveling kit that has not been adjusted (which seems to be ****ing all of them)

Last night I got followed by some person with a jacked up diesel truck that had headlights so bright that I was experiencing physical pain. Super white light, with even brighter fog lights, no fog in sight. Tailgating. Also passed 3 cars including me over a blind hill. Had my cell phone been working, I'd have been calling to the town ahead to see if he could be checked out by an officer.

Keep in mind, I drive in the top 50% of aggressive drivers, and I also modify my vehicles, but I maintain following distances, pass safely, and generally try not to draw attention to myself unduly. It seems like these people are using these headlights as an intimidation weapon and blinding other drivers with no recourse.

Its getting more and more difficult to drive at night because everyone is blinding everyone else....

Duce and s sidewall like this.
  2. LonestarStihl

LonestarStihl Addicted to ArboristSite

I can’t stand those either but many agencies make it hard for the officers to enforce them.

And following too closely is one of the fastest ways to get my blood boiling on the road. It’s so ridiculously unsafe and it doesn’t benefit anyone!

Duce, FlyingDutchman and s sidewall like this.
  3. s sidewall

s sidewall Addicted to ArboristSite

Nothing like slowing down and doing 30 mph for those tag sniffers. I turn mine on bright if they are blinding me when I meet them, dont care if they fit then on dim. They can get those lights set correctly if they wanted. I can't stand them. Also hate those led tail lights, they need with my eyes.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

FlyingDutchman likes this.
  4. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Yes, it's much more fun the be the slow person in front than the angry person in back. If they put their heiadlights on high beam, slow down another 10 mph.

J.Walker, jwilly and LonestarStihl like this.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

Sometimes, you just have to show them your pistol.
    One thing about those bright lights is, he will be able to see it even better.

6. Free Will

Free Will I'm saner than you are.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
  7. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Row Seatin'

Haha hit him in the neck with a potshot wow..

I don't concealed carry... I find that these "over accessorized" people tend to also concealed carry and over compensate in many other ways as well. WHO KNOWS how deep it goes.

rocketnorton likes this.
  8. unclemoustache

gun.gif

9. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver Tree Freak

Yup on the slow down part. Eventually they will pass.

10. arathol

arathol ArboristSite Operative

The problem with most of those aftermarket lights is they are the wrong length for the reflector housings. The halogen bulbs have a filament that is at a very precise height so the light beam is focused by the reflector like a flashlight. The emitters in cheap LEDs are too low in the reflector to work, so the light just scatters everywhere. The head light seems very bright because you are seeing more light in places it should not be. However, because the beam is not focused very little light is actually projected down the road and you can't see more than 100' or so. There now are properly designed LEDs available that work fine, but they are kind of expensive.
    Of course, if the light boxes aren't adjusted properly, no bulb will do what it is supposed to do.

Left to right- properly designed LED, Halogen bulb, cheap ricer LED bulb
    See the difference?
    [​IMG]

11. hedge hog

hedge hog ArboristSite Guru

When they are on my bumper I adjust my side mirrors out and a little up so they can see what it is like
    You have hug the side of lane a little
    And you can tell when you hit the rite spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. s sidewall

Good thing about some of the new type factory installed lights, when the warranty runs out on the vehicle, owner's get a sticker shock when they find out how much the parts gonna run to fixum. On the full size GM suv, it's the whole tail lamp, DRL's, whole headlamp on the trucks and suvs and some cars. $$$$.

WRW likes this.
  13. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

It's definitely not just aftermarket lights either. The other night I was followed by a new GMC SUV. Most of the time it was ok, but if the angle of the road was just right it was blinding for sure.

14. unclemoustache

Funny! I'll have to try that one.

My brother likes to adjust his windshield squirters so they squirt over the top of his car. That usually causes them to back off and turn on their own wipers.

bayard, ValleyFirewood and hedge hog like this.
  15. s sidewall

I forgot all about that one. Put skunk scent in it.

Oldmaple likes this.
  16. s sidewall

I forgot all about that one. Put skunk scent in it.

17. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

I've run into a fair amount of vehicles with lights so badly aimed that it was blinding me in my big dumptruck. Sitting in the truck, I'm a good 8-9ft from the ground.. several feet higher than a car or pickup for sure. I guess they were trying to light up the trees and stars?! No way they could be driving that and not realize the lights aren't pointing on the road but way the hell up in the air!

18. unclemoustache

When I was in high school back in Montana (near a Crow Indian reservation) we had an old station wagon that me and my two brothers abused pretty badly. It came to be called the "reservation limo."
    It had some intermittent headlights which would turn off and on of their own accord, and the right one (after yet another accident by some Peterson who shall remain nameless) was pointed up into the sky. We decided it was the searchlight looking for police helicopters. Had a lot of fun with that car. Races in the back roads of MT, car-surfing past the houses of local police, etc...

19. Free Will

Free Will I'm saner than you are.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.

I suspected that you had a wild streak in you. :innocent:

s sidewall and unclemoustache like this.
  20. unclemoustache

One of my nicknames was Smash. I didn't have the best driving skills. My driving has improved, but I still have the wild streak. I set of an alarm at the Louvre in Paris, I've had search-and-rescue called on me in the Beartooth Mtns, got heat exhaustion in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, have run out of gas on freeways many times, have allegedly brought firearms into gun-free zones, am capable of eating copious amounts of ice cream, and I love to drag my wife and kids along with me on these little disaste...... uh,..... adventures!

Conquistador3, Husky Man and Sleepy like this.