Idle too rich??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Reaction score
My CS-346 idles nicely for a minute or 2, then stops. When I try to restart it, it takes a few pulls before it kicks over and I smell gas. If I'm using the saw, it stays running between cuts with no problem. When I wind it up for the cuts, the throttle response is a bit sluggish.

I suspect the idle screw is set a bit too rich due to the gas smell when it dies while idling. Am I correct??

It performs fine when it is wide open in the cut.

Most likely yes, was it recently muff modded? People assume that engines need to be fattened up after a muff mod and often forget that the increased air flow through the carb also increases the fuel flow and you may find yourself needing to lean it out.

Yes, I removed the EPA mandated flow restriction (cat) and didn't touch the carb.

Thanks. I'll lean it out a bit.

The idle is definitely too rich,but if you are smelling gas it is probably flooding,you need to put a carb kit in it,make sure to set the metering lever correctly,and replace the diaphragms and gaskets in the same order as original,pay attention,and it will be good.

Yes, I removed the EPA mandated flow restriction (cat) and didn't touch the carb.

Thanks. I'll lean it out a bit.
If you're anything like me running 3 or more saws it's hard to remember when you looked at the air filter.
Got to keep em clean...I need to go check some air filters now.

Any luck getting it dialed in?

Most likely yes, was it recently muff modded? People assume that engines need to be fattened up after a muff mod and often forget that the increased air flow through the carb also increases the fuel flow and you may find yourself needing to lean it out.

I have seen this posted elsewhere and wonder if it's true. With no changes to the carb, doesn't the fuel rate only depend on the impulse rate? I can understand how the rate at wot would increase to the extent that a mod increases rpm's but don't get how it changes the amount of fuel per stroke.

Back