if i only knew then..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksnbears

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what i know now.
when i bought my wooded property,it was gonna be just for deer hunting. it was mostly ALL huge burr oak/ash/basswood with basically no undergrowth because of the canopy.
i read a bit about wildlife habitat mngt and found out the best way to "thicken up" the woods was to get rid of the canopy so i went and bought 2 Husky saws 455 and 350 and went to town.
looking back now, i can't believe how lucky i got not being killed. man oh man did i have some close calls being i had ZERO experience using a chain saw.. the good Lord was looking over me fer sure:bowdown::bowdown:

anyway, i cut down MANY HUGE trees without a plan what to do with them. at the time i did'nt really care, just wanted them down for some regrowth.
was talking to a freind one day and he said he burned wood...........boy do i have a deal for you:chainsaw:

he owned a roll-off service fleet and it was a real mild winter. being such an open piece of ground, he could basically drive right up to any felled tree, drop his dumpster and fill-er-up. don't know how many loads of oak/ash he hauled out but it was many!!.

never charged him a penny:drinking:

i think he owes me at least a 12 pack of beer??:dancing:..

on a side note, my woods are now the go-too destination for deer

gotten so thick with regrowth, i can go few places with my atv.

just guessing but i bet a cut down 50 huge burr oak and 70 huge ash trees.

How many years since thinning out the woods? I have the very same issues on my property. Nearly all sugar maple throughout with a few oaks. All sand underneath with 1/3 of the property is hill at 50% grade

I would cut an arm off before I'd cut a healthy Bur Oak down, especially in the cause of deer management. I've planted 200 in the past year and will do the same this year. Deer candy. You will find no acorns under a Bur Oak here in KS, just a well-worn circle path under the tree.

I would cut an arm off before I'd cut a healthy Bur Oak down, especially in the cause of deer management. I've planted 200 in the past year and will do the same this year. Deer candy. You will find no acorns under a Bur Oak here in KS, just a well-worn circle path under the tree.

You would probably cut both my arms off if I took a picture out any of my windows. Bur Oak is the main species around us, I don't like cutting live trees either but I really want to manage the land more, these trees can't grow like they should either when they're within 20 yards of each other. A lot of little ones dying just on our own property so I might just start taking a couple big ones every year to open it up.

Latest posts

Back