If You Could Look Inside Another Company...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose:

• Bartlett

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Davey

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other Nationwide Company

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Swingle

• Care of Trees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sav-a-Tree

• A Utility Arboriculture Company

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other (direct competitor)

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other (no direct competition)

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
An inside look at three companys

My two cents on the subject Nickrosis...I have had the unique opportunity to see three company's in my 16 years in the green industry. I started my business after fishing in Alaska for a few years,bought some stuff and hit the ground running with little to no experience. I quickly learned I had a lot to learn and hung it up after a few years and joined a big tree service in Seattle where I took a back seat and became a humble student. For the next 12 years I soaked up all I could and silently observed what works and doesn't. I am grateful for all the experience but the "what not to do" was overwhelmingly ringing in my head and I never lost that drive to march to my own drum. A year and half ago I started my own company and took everything I didn't like about the business and applied the exact opposite to my company. The bottom line (in my opinion and the real short version) is :
1) Bend over backwards to please your clients
2) Quality,reliability and professionalism
3) Lead employees by example,treat them well and make them feel appreciated everyday. Encourage,teach, and reward..they are the back-bone of it all.
4) Stay small, keep it simple and never let quality control out of your grasp. Run the business don't let it run you.Time with your family cant be replaced.

Hi Nick
I'd love to hear more about this, very interesting, how did you approach them about it in the first place?
Could you give us a run down on the types of questions you asked, what you saw, and what you learned? How did they compare to yourself in terms of size/volume of work/turnover etc?
I tried expanding to 2 crews last year but scaled back to 1 after a number of difficulties ariseing from the growth. I want to go for it again, and have learned from my mistakes, but would like to know others experiences too.
Thanks
Trev

trevmcrev said:
Hi Nick
I'd love to hear more about this, very interesting, how did you approach them about it in the first place?
I have a PowerPoint that goes over all this. I'll edit out the company details and post it. If I forget, please remind me!

I would look at Crawford Tree and Landscape Service. Seems like they are a good company with a very smart, although a bit nosy, point man who likes to thoroughly check out everything.

Nick,
Please provide me with your ssn, dob, full name and your mother's maiden name. I will take it from there.:laugh:

Koa Man said:
Nick,
Please provide me with your ssn, dob, full name and your mother's maiden name. I will take it from there.:laugh:
I have it on a sheet of paper here, ready for you to pick up at any time. :greenchainsaw:

OK, I'll get it from you at the Baltimore TCI Expo. You are going aren't you? You can also buy me and the wife dinner. I know a nice expensive seafood place on the Inner Harbor.:cheers:

I'll be there, scoping out your company. Yeah, I spent a lot of money on food in Baltimore the last time, I'm sure it'll happen again. :)

If i could look inside another company......

It would have to be treeminator's company. Im curious how well those craftsman saws are working out for him.

trevmcrev said:
Havent forgotten bout this thread either Nick:popcorn:
Trev

Hey! Me too!

I'd like to look into a couple larger local companies here to see who and where they are networking to get their work and how they keep so many guys busy and still make a real profit.

The bigger companies listed are out of most of our leagues with the way they do business and I'd guess it's not something a smaller co. could replicate at all.

Toddppm said:
Hey! Me too!

I'd like to look into a couple larger local companies here to see who and where they are networking to get their work and how they keep so many guys busy and still make a real profit.

The bigger companies listed are out of most of our leagues with the way they do business and I'd guess it's not something a smaller co. could replicate at all.
Aw, I wouldn't say that at all. It's about having systems and following them. It's much the same as a successful small business with bigger numbers, except it takes a lot more structure to handle it. Structure being something many small companies could benefit to adopt if they want to last and not be crushed by an OSHA audit or prolonged economic drought.

What I mean is having dedicated salespeople and managers to do the handholding and follow up required to land the bigger jobs for commercial and municipal type work. Seems like those kinds of jobs will keep your guys making money when the regular work slows down.
I know I couldn't afford to pay someone for the time it would take to land those unless they are bringing in other work at the same time generating income.

Or maybe I could and I'm not thinking big enough?

Right now it's just me doing everything besides the work, I'm going to need a right hand man or woman very soon!

How's that powerpoint coming along?:popcorn: If you don't mind?

Toddppm said:
What I mean is having dedicated salespeople and managers to do the handholding and follow up required to land the bigger jobs for commercial and municipal type work. Seems like those kinds of jobs will keep your guys making money when the regular work slows down.
I know I couldn't afford to pay someone for the time it would take to land those unless they are bringing in other work at the same time generating income.

Or maybe I could and I'm not thinking big enough?

I thought the same thing until I tried it beginning a few years ago. My salesman works on straight commission plus a weekly vehicle allowance. Basically, the more he sells, the more he makes. It's a good incentive and it's better than $5 per job.

Toddppm said:

That's exactly what they would be doing! Usually sales are paid on commision, in some cases with a draw attached to keep the salespersons income from fluctuating too wildly.

Keep in mind they will be freeing up a LOT of YOUR time, which you can apply to other aspects of growing your business. If you get a really good sales guy you'll probably have to add on people to get all the work done.

The caveat to most municipal and commercial work is that it's very much a commodity, with the low bidder having a signifigant advantage. That's why a person dedicated to building relationships, can give you that competitive edge without you having to cut your own throat.

Latest posts

Back