If you could only grow three vegetables what would they be

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans. I don't even like green beans, but it's one crop I can grow with the terrible soil I have.

In about 6 years I've had 1 good crop of red beets, 2 of tomatoes, so-so potatoes, 2 mediocre crops of peppers, and 1 good year of corn.

Onions won't grow, carrots grow huge tops with no roots, and cabbage never makes it 2 weeks.

I found that most common varieties for this area wont grow in my soil. Take Detroit dark red beets for example, they grow nice tops but only half inch beets. Last year I tried Lutz, and got enough to give half away.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Sweet corn is great. The corn farmers grow here ain’t the sweet variety. It’s used as feed and alcohol production. Hard to say what you got.
I always liked the field corn my grandpa grew better than the sweet corn from our garden.
He grew it mostly as a cash crop but also as livestock feed.

Definitely tomatoes, green beans because we always get a large yield, and I suppose potatoes even though they're a PITA to keep burying them deeper.

We have a 60 x 60 foot garden but the past few years we haven't used the entire space. This year we'll be planting several rows. Right now we have beets and radishes planted .

Potatoes

can‘t plant much here till the very end of May. Two years ago we had a -5c night in late July. That night was surrounded by a few minus 2’s and 1 nights. Killed nearly everything.

I’ve had it.

I am in the process of erecting a hoop house/high tunnel/whatever it’s called. It is 21’ x 31’ and should take care of most of our space needs for above-ground stuff. I want to grow a pepper.

Back