If you could only grow three vegetables what would they be

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WAHT A COOL THREAD!!! I love vegetable gardening [emoji847]. Ours is not huge by any means we definitely are not experts but we enjoy the heck out of it. LOVE Learning new things. Two years ago we put in drip irrigation and our crop yield went up significantly.

Well I’d have to pick something that thrives in my area and for us every year.

My 3

1)Green beans
We get LOAD and LOADS of green beans. They can easy, taste good after being frozen, lots of water, fiber and vitamins in them.

2) potatoes
I LOVE me some potato’s and they generally do well for us. And the fact that you can keep recovering the plant to grow more and more as the season continues means you can yield a ton of those starchy root vegetables we all love. The other benefit is after simply wiping off the dirt their store for a very long time on the shelf in a brown paper bag.

3)beets!!
Amazing vegetable in many ways.

If i can add a fruit to the list id say apples

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well the rain last night beat what few tomatoes I had flat on the ground and the weather channel says 41 f overnight so it lookn like a replant on them.
Taters are doin okay thou, wish I had went ahead and planted some carrots now as cool as it's been.

Maters, taters and corn. I would plant squash, but have never found a good way to can or freeze it that I liked. We can maters, whole and in juice for soups and chili. Corn we can and freeze and I make a mean pickled corn. A fourth plant would be onions. I would do Okra before squash. I can pickle it and freeze it. Then I guess green beans would be next. freeze, canned, or made into leather britches for winter food.

Butternut squash, nutritionally significant,, store well with little effort.
Onions, store well, make horrible things edible
Tomatoes, nutritionally significant, nutritional value gets better with processing and storage, freezes well.

Okra, if a forth is granted. Nutritionally significant, goes well in cooking with onions, excellent uncooked, freezes well.

Tomatoes, corn, and squash. I'd have to throw in a sage and pepper plant at the end of a row or two for hog killin time.

For the past few years I've grown all my tomatoes from seed taken from tomatoes I purchased for eating during the off season. Due to the cooler and wetter spring this year I've had problems getting my seedlings underway.
Yesterday my daughter and me went to home depot and looked at tomato plants... I only got two of the cheaper ones but seen some priced at seventeen dollars each...there's something going on here but I don't know what it is.

#1 - I think it is pretty hard to beat fresh sweet corn on the cob, just shucked and into a pot already boiling on the stove. S&P, with plenty melty butter.

Image result for image corn on cob lots of butter

#2 - the quintessential homegrown, garden fresh tomato. it stands on its own merit. any strain will do... in this case Better Boy

Image result for image better boy tomato ripe

#3 - just so many to consider. so I will pick any that are fresh picked from the garden, first full and ripe. they are the sweetest of the season...

Image result for image english peas and in pods

I grow three things apple, tomatoes and strawberries. I have several neighbors that do not want to take care of the apple trees so they say do whatever. I am ending up with at least fifty gallons of apples every year and I think if I had time I could double it. Cider that has been frozen is so delicious on a hot day apple sauce on waffles and the pies. Strawberries are also so good, but they last about two months then wait until next year. Thanks

Asparagus tomatoes and jalapeños.......3 is so limiting. :laugh:
I was going to say Tomato's, Jalapenos. I mow the lawn for my MIL's neighbors. They are both in poor health and let the garden grow over several years ago. Just as the grass starts to grow, their patch of Asparagus, starts shooting up. I mow around them and pick a handful and eat them raw. I told their daughter and she said dig them up and take them home. I'm going to give it a try.

For the past few years I've grown all my tomatoes from seed taken from tomatoes I purchased for eating during the off season. Due to the cooler and wetter spring this year I've had problems getting my seedlings underway.
Yesterday my daughter and me went to home depot and looked at tomato plants... I only got two of the cheaper ones but seen some priced at seventeen dollars each...there's something going on here but I don't know what it is.
Price gouging is all , there are always opportunists! I didn't pay that much here at all so I know there is no national shortage. But still no N95 masks avail on the net except the fake KN95 Chinese garbage and Rubbing Alcohol is still stupid expensive. Looks like gardening is the way to go.

My wife worked in a nursery part time for a few years. The owner started plants in the green houses for the commercial market. She got our about a month ago and they were over knee high with blooms. I picked the first green pepper today and I have an Early Girl that's loaded with Toms the size of pool balls and bigger. I'm ready for a big green one to grill. Love grilled green tomatoes.

Back