If You Were A Skidder, Which One Would You Be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever see a Ford skidder ??? I know a guy who had one in Minnisota .. And I think I,ve seen a couple when I was a kid in Maine ...
Never saw a Ford, but I think the 669? Ford tractor doubled well as a skidder cause the front tires were the same as the rear. I think International also made skidders.
Gypo

the garret tree farmer I just posted has the wisconsin V4 flathead.

My tree farmer has the inline ford 4 cyl gas. 30-40 hp I think.

I collect anything chainsaw or logging related.
I used to collect saw and logging ephemera as well. I still have a bunch of stuff around somewhere. I'd buy them off a guy who found them at equipment shows and fall fairs.
John

Anyone ever see a Ford skidder ??? I know a guy who had one in Minnisota .. And I think I,ve seen a couple when I was a kid in Maine ...

a freind of mine has one of those ford 4 wheelers that is set up with a bucket loader on front. Seems to me it is a skid steer. I know something was different about it. But it looks like a tractor.

Really appreciate all the pics ..... Sawbones ? do you sell any of these nice small skidders ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I just have the garrett right now but I do know were there is an identical machine near chehalis.

I went by there last week and I see the old guy has been working on it but I
know that it is for sale too.

the garrett 10 and 15 are well built and not hard to find parts for.

Garrett in enumclaw still sells parts for them but does not build them anymore.

his looks just like mine
bigsawz001.jpg

Last edited:
What I don't like about skidding with a gas engine is that some of the older carbs would "loose prime" when on a steep slope leaving you dead in the water.
The picture of the LeTourneau is cool, but I wish I had some of those steep slopes up to 28% to work on. Lately I would consider that pretty flat ground. ;)

Andy

is the one in the pic a 10 or 15 ?? .... Alot of peole won,t understand this .. But I would really prefer a gas engine in a skidder .... They start in the cold alot easier than a diesel .......... How many bd ft .or cord would the 10 or 15 yard as a normal turn ????

I would rough quess 300-500 BF with the 15. or almost a cord of firwood.

My garrett is a 1960-61 Tree Farmer. This was before the numbers 10 or 15 were used but is same as a 10.

These were built from GI surplus parts or common , easy to find components.
rockwell 2 1/2 ton axels, ford truck trannys and ford or wisconsin gas motors.

If you were to do a study you might find that this little skidder that could would outpull, pound for pound many others. (like the ant) :)

I ran one for about 4 months but looking back I cant remember if it was a 10 or a 15.

seems like I dumped about 10 gallons of gas in it a day and pulled out a few log loads a day.

I ran a mountain logger 200 with grapple and remember hand pumping 50 gallons a day in to it.

It would have to be a Timberjack 208.First skidder I ever ran.I was 10 or 11. It was 78' or 79'.My brother started a firewood business, pullin tops with a farm tractor.Boy, when he got that skidder, did we think we were cool.Come to think of it, we were cool...Good times..:)

This thread and Tramp's other skidder thread have inspired me to build a micro skidder for micro jobs and easy transport.

I have always enjoyed building stuff and making something practical out of junk.

Sawbones, If I manage to get this thing built can I steal you name and call it an Ant?

Another option might be an Argo. available with or with out tracks and lots of different engine sizes.

The utility modle with a cab:

recdetailvehicles.aspx

You can also get tracks for them here is a video of one being used for a small scale operation.

http://www.argoatv.com/utility/applications.aspx?x=878J8XW2gG/pqZJK+2qIow==

They even have a dealer in Anchorage.

If I remember right they are about 10-20 grand depending on engines and any other bells and whistles.

Hope that helped.

In Europe, there are a lot of skidder whit cranes, and double winch. If I where a skkider, I prefer one of these.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

if i were a skidder

id probably be a timberjack. they are very common in western MA and VT. low step so older loggers can still climb in em to work. and thier awesome on hills and powerhouses and LOUD! vrrroooooom buh buh buh buh

Either a b or c series timberjack 380 or 450, the best machines I've ever cut for. The d series John deere/jack 460'swere a joke. My least faviorate would have to be the 440 John deere top heavy tractor is all it is.

Back