If you were to.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you were to go out and buy a climbing saddle,, spikes,,to climb a pine tree and peice it down ,,what brand would you get ?

Redbull said:
I would buy the kind that came with a professional tree man attached to them. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have to agree there. If you have to ask a question like that you probably have no business doing it without training.

don't listen to them man. here's all the gear you need to do the most advanced tree work. . . top of the line stuff we're talking here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pole-Tree-climb...ryZ61788QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MSA-SAFETY-BELT-climbing_W0QQitemZ7567094142QQcategoryZ36353QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

actually, I'm very much kidding. If you think you can just buy the gear and cut down a tree, I promise you that it will result in injury or death. Like I said in a different post, DIY=DIE

:buttkick:

Dogdad, Did't mean to piss you off but I just had to say it. If I would't have, someone else would have. I see in your profile that you are in the lawn and landscape business. Are you addig tree care to your list of services or is this a one-shot deal? I'm gonna be honest with you. If you're looking to save a few bucks by removing your own tree, I'd recomend against it. There's too much ivolved for someone to safely walk you through a removal over the internet. Now, if you're looking into a long term commitment to tree care, you might find some help. It won't happen overnight though.

Oh, and to answer your original question, brands aren't as important as safety, comfort, and, well, safety. The best way to find the right gear is to try it out.

Not to mention that the gear will probably cost more than having a pro take it down for you. Surely a landscaper has the equipment to clean it up.
But hey, it's just a tree, how hard can it be.
See the do it yourself homeowners thread, same thing applies here.
-Ralph

RedBull...you didn't....just surprised at the responces. I have a skid loader , stump grinder and have been removing fallen trees from Katrina. I find it really interesting and challenging work to figure on what peice to cut first and how to go about it. It's kind of like a puzzle. Plus the $$$$...............There is no place around here that sells arborist gear( New Orleans),,so I thought I would ask you guyus that have used different brands , styles, etc...... what is good. Yes ...to answer your ? I would buy a saddle and spikes to see what it is like to climb a Pine tree 40' up. Would I stick to it ,,,who knows. I know I wouldn't go and do some crazy tree work or climbing......I do have some smarts to me. But there are alot of pine trees to cut that are snapped.

Yep...want to climb and cut the limbs then drop the trees in pieces,remove with the skidder and grind the stump. I don't want to climb some burly oak and start cuttin away. Some of these pines are close to houses so you need to peice them down.

Well, if you know anyone with gear, see if you can try there's on first, if that style isn't comfortable try a different style. Like I said before though, this isn't something you can just run up and do. If these trees have been damaged, you need to be able to assess the stability of the tree and what kind of loads it can handle. Another option is to try and find a good, safe climber ad hire him to climb and train you.

I just think I asked the wrong ? to the wrong people at the wrong website.I thought i could get some usefull information but evedently if one has not cut trees and you guys are such pros.........

I'm just looking out for ya, man. Seriously, this is not something that you just run out and do without proper training. I really mean no disrespect.

dogdad said:
If you were to go out and buy a climbing saddle,, spikes,,to climb a pine tree and peice it down ,,what brand would you get ?

I just think I asked the wrong ? to the wrong people at the wrong website.I thought i could get some usefull information but evedently if one has not cut trees and you guys are such pros.........

Now, you read back over that an tell me where you said you've been doing it for x years. Your profile says you mow grass and trim hedges.
Now, how are we supposed to know that you've been climbing for 10 years, and are just looking for updated gear and knots?

Most everyone here would rather see you safe, than hurt. If thats a fault, than maybe you are talking to the wrong crowd. But we get 10 of these dumb questions a month, and the ones who ask it are the ones driving up our insurance and workers comp rates. A lot of guys with a LOT more experience than you get hurt or killed every year. Is the money really worth it? Why can't you hire someone to do the climbing, and teach you?
Some of us are trying to get you to step back a bit, and realize that you're probably already beaten, and are just itching to get yourself hurt. You really think it can't happen to you? It happens everyday to guys EXACTLY LIKE YOU!

Take this reply however you will, but whatever you do, STAY SAFE.
-Ralph

Just be sure that hwen you order the gear get the stuff that comes with the highest amount of life insurance so your family has one less thing to take care of.

Seriously if you have never been in a tree before with a chainsaw under proper conditions you really should have some sort of formal training. And you pick for a first removal a Pine as comapared to a Burly Oak as you put it....not smart. Pine has the hinging ability and strength of a toothpick. Sure there are weaker/worse trees out there but I would take the big burly Oak to rig to than the small pine next to a house...a lot more predictable.

Good luck!

You do realize that you need a state arbo license to do treework in Louisiana don't you? LA is one of the few places where they actually have an enforcement program too. the cops do, and will, arrest...

FWIW

Have you read The Tree Climber's Companion? If not, stay on the ground.

Redbull said:
Well, if you know anyone with gear, see if you can try there's on first, if that style isn't comfortable try a different style. Like I said before though, this isn't something you can just run up and do. If these trees have been damaged, you need to be able to assess the stability of the tree and what kind of loads it can handle. Another option is to try and find a good, safe climber ad hire him to climb and train you.

Just let me know if you're interested in using my guys while they're down there. Looking like I'll need to bring them home If they can't stay busy there without me.
You could make money and learn some climbing at the same time!!

Back