If you were to.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure, dogdad. We like noobs a lot more than you might think, and we just want men to not get hurt.

It's just so easy to get hurt in this business. It's sort of our responsibility to make you look at the realities of this work, though it might feel like a mild flaming. We're just lookin out for ya.

i dont think this is an ego thing, or flaming the newby for asking a question thing. if a nurse went to a surgeon's forum and said, "Well, I've seen brain surgery done many times, and I take care of people post-opp, so what kind of insturments can I buy so that I can do some of this surgery stuff myself? I want to make more money." That would be rediculous because it could possibly result in people getting hurt. Furthermore, surgeons, like certified arborists have serious training and practice before cutting people up so that they do it right and do it safely. Withholding advice is a matter of his and other people's safety and it would be irresponsible to give him the impression that it would be okay to do serious removals without proper training. However, I don't think I should have been so flip earlier with my remark without first explaining what I just said.

Dogdad,
No one wants you to get hurt or die, thats what this is all about. If you had said I want to learn to climb thats one thing but to go into this tree climbing thing because you got a high bid or... you think there is some money to be made then you may want to rethink things a sec. Your not going to learn the skills you need to do this one job overnight. It takes a while to learn this stuff and it takes a level head to know your limitations. And as time goes by your limitations will become fewer and fewer but remember only fools rush in. Don`t let making money or saving money cloud your judgment. No one wants to see you hurt or worse....

If you want to learn to climb this is the place but learning and earning should never be in the same sentence...or paragrapgh...or even in the same thread for that matter.

Glenn

Last edited:
Ummm, I feel more terror driving down interstate 25. Getting out of bed can be deadly. Expert kayakers drown in class 2 waters. What does all this foolishness mean ? What is the sound of one hand clapping ?

Dogdad, this is actually pretty tame compared to what you would have heard about a year ago on this site. I can hear the squirrel now.

Dogdad, a few here have been kinda rough on ya but I'm sure it has good intentions. To be honest, any gear will work as long as it is safe. Some gear is better than others but gear is gear. Before doing any kind of tree work the first peice of gear anybody needs is the knowledge. Knowing the characteristics of the different speices of wood, knowing how to make cuts, knowing how to use all types of tree equipment, and knowing safety should come first. After that, any kind of gear is good as long as its safe and gets the job done.

Wow, what a grilling. Dogdad don't be discuraged at what is going on here. You asked a simple question and are getting the simplest answers. If you read between the lines you will actually find answers. Get the tree climbers companion first. Read it and see if you want to continue or spend the money. Next investigate the different internet retailers such as Sherrils, wesspur, baileys, etc... Get there catalogs and cross reference with the guide and call them to find out what equipment that sells the best and there recommendation.

With that listen to what is being said about SAFE. Don't get second hand anything. This is your life haning by a thread. You will either like what you are doing or not and if the hairs stand up on your neck re-evaluate your situation. Remember "one is none and two is one"

Last insurance companies will raise our rates regardless of who dies or who gets hurt. The reality is that if you die no one here will care nor loose sleep over it. The trick is to use new gear, keep it clean and safe. If there is any question trash it. If you are not comfortable in the situation, walk away.

Good luck in your adventures, everyone has to start somewhere and if I listen to all the hacking I have recieved in my life I wouldn't have the stories that I have now.

Good luck and stay safe (Lots of PPE).

Hey man,
I'm not doing any bashing at all. We all had to start somewhere. You are in a good place to make some money and provide services to those who are in need.
My offer still stands. You provide the work, and my guys will teach you how to bid jobs, rig, and climb safely, at the same time you will make money. You normally pay for the education one way or another. Normally education is expensive, this is your chance to break those stats.
If by chance you come up with PLENTY of work, I personally will come down for a short visit to make sure you are headed in the right direction. The more you know about what you're doing helps in selling your services.
I've trained over a dozen climbers through the years that ended up going off on their own. It takes one with good upper body strength, ability to think and pay attention, balance, then you have a chance to make money after you learn the ropes. It's still not for everyone by far.

Boo,
If he rejects you very generous offer I'll know where he stands in terms of competency...........I wish I'd had an offer like that when I got started.

fmueller said:
Dogdad, this is actually pretty tame compared to what you would have heard about a year ago on this site. I can hear the squirrel now.

I kinda miss ol' RockySquirrel. He suffered no fools and didn't perscribe to this mordern day PC BS.

Something that many enterers into our industry don't understand is that tree work is not about the choice of gear alone. You have to be able to maintain and adjust the gear as needed whether it's a flipline or a chainsaw, or some part of your truck. You'd best be a fix-it guy because things break and wear out regularly.

You need to be a problem solver because climbing and rigging are just a series of problems being solved one after another, not that they're problems, per se, but they're points in time where critical decisions need to be made, and if not made correctly, death or destruction may ensue. if you're not a decent problem solver, I would dissuade you from coming in.

There's customer organization, phone lists, record keeping, contact tracking. Then there's the business name register, bank account for the business, and business cards. Just the bare essentials.

Then there's the working with the clients, which can make you or break you. You're not working with trees until you work with the people. Treework is 90% psychology, 10% treework.

Insurance. Must have it. taxes. Must pay them.

Then there's the choosing of the equipment you will use to start out, and I personally recommend safety gear before a harness and rope. Don't do tree work without PPE. Period.

Lastly after these basic fundamentals are covered, your education begins. Now you can climb trees and become a tree climber.

If you're gonna enter our industry and be a hack, don't bother. If you wanna buy gear to do this one job, then good luck with that. Let us know how you did. That's how a lot of us got started. All the other parts we figured out along the way. We're giving you an awareness of those other parts on a silver platter, spending time with you to see that you understand what a startup tree service looks like.

Does this still look like we're rolling you around on the barbecue, or are we sharing our time and offering valuable knowledge? Your perception is your choice.

Very generous offer Boo, I hope it is not wasted and a positive business experience comes from it. Tree machine, thanks for reminding me that if I am going to do all those things daily I need to give myself another pay raise. Think I will open a 6-pack and have a management meeting with myself about this. Well dog dad, you have some real good offers and some great advice, any questions or comments? If you got pissed off and ran away from the truth about the Biz then you probably were not ready to get into it anyway. Best of luck.

It is interesting how Dogdad asks a rather simple question and is pounced upon, all in an effort to protect him from himself ... of course.
But a homeowner wants to know how to take down a dangerous hollow tree (see homeowner forum) and guys are providing "helpful" ideas on how he can accomplish the project. Including climbing it, winching it over, and the best method for cutting onto the hollow base.

Dogdad, I guess you just happened to be the fresh meat thrown at the pack today.
Get a copy of the Sherrill Catalog it has a great selection, describes the products and has helpful information.

Fred

fpyontek said:
It is interesting how Dogdad asks a rather simple question and is pounced upon, all in an effort to protect him from himself ... of course.

He may have been pounced on but the advice between the lines was simple, there is a lot more to treework than 'what gear can I buy to start making some extra $$$ in the tree biz?' There were also some very generous offers to help and train him with the work that it seems were rejected at this point.
But a homeowner wants to know how to take down a dangerous hollow tree (see homeowner forum) and guys are providing "helpful" ideas on how he can accomplish the project. Including climbing it, winching it over, and the best method for cutting onto the hollow base.

I advise any homeowner who wants to remove a tree themselves to get out the yellow pages and call a pro. I also ask why are they removing it. If a pro at this site is trying to teach climbing and tree removal from a chair over the internet shame on them. I have seen many homeowners and part time weekend warriors advise others what they have done and what has worked while removing a tree.
Get a copy of the Sherrill Catalog it has a great selection, describes the products and has helpful information.

Fred

Agreed, the sherrill catolog does offer many good ideas and products, but there is a disclaimer at the front of the catalog that states the equipment used in the catalog is dangerous and should be used properly by trained persons. Isn't that what we have tried to tell Dogdad from the begining?

Dadatwins said:
... Isn't that what we have tried to tell Dogdad from the beginning?

Dadatwins, I wasn't singling out anyone, especially you. I can see if some guy comes in with an attitude, then he's fair game. Sure, you are right about training, that needs to be pointed out. But the message was lost in the barrage of negativity and job protectionism.
I believe the point of ArboristSite is to convey ideas, especially safety. If the guy goes to another site, as he lamented, ArboristSite lost not only a potential new member but also the chance to make a difference in how he approaches this profession.

Fred

Back