If you've read "The Golden Spruce"...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange and sad event, it was the only one know like that I believe. (Sitka spruce)
I remember It like yesterday.
In the Queen Charlotte Islands,and now goes by the Haida native name; Haida Gwaii
He dissappeared... not so strange. Id say that was a death sentence.

Haven't read the book, its well known history here

I have read the book. The guy was a rock star logger and flipped his lid and went the other direction believing logging has destroyed the wilderness. He cut the golden spruce down to make a statement. It sure did. The last he was scene was leaving Prince Rupert in a kayak headed for court on Haida Gwaii never to be seen again.

I have heard there had been sightings of the guy in Siberia but nothing has been confirmed as far as I know. He was an extreme swimmer and would swim in sub freezing weather in the winter time. He spent some time in Whitehorse in the winter so he could go for his daily winter swim in the Yukon River. He was quit a guy and I believe he lived in Liloett, BC. I worked with a bunch of guy's from Prince Rupert for a few years and the local belief is the natives got him for cutting down the secret tree.

Its worth the read,

Dog_River

I have a copy of the new movie, Hadwin's Revenge, but haven't watched it yet, wanting to watch it with some of my tree working buds.. but we've all been busy. Looking forward to it! I'd say any anti-logging bias is good, as far as the abhorrent rate at which they are still logging old growth on Vancouver Island and in BC
. The Ancient Forest Alliance is doing what they can to stem the tide, and at least protect what can be saved. Google "Big Lonely Doug" for a video of some of my BC Arb friends climbing the tree

I have a copy of the new movie, Hadwin's Revenge, but haven't watched it yet, wanting to watch it with some of my tree working buds.. but we've all been busy. Looking forward to it! I'd say any anti-logging bias is good, as far as the abhorrent rate at which they are still logging old growth on Vancouver Island and in BC
. The Ancient Forest Alliance is doing what they can to stem the tide, and at least protect what can be saved. Google "Big Lonely Doug" for a video of some of my BC Arb friends climbing the tree
You're in the wrong place with that hippy nonsense talk.

can I come over to your house and remove all timber related items?

You sir, are a fool

I see this site is now populated with a lot of narrow minded types who don't seem to understand the value of old growth forests.

It IS abhorrent what is being done in BC, and has been done in the past by US logging practices, and may still be going on in the Tongass, I'm not sure.

Clear cutting clearly has its place, but the way it was done historically effectively destroyed the ecosystem. Given today's knowledge, forest managers should show more respect for the forest by clear cutting smaller swaths, and being sure to respect the watersheds...AND show more respect for the areas where the best old growth remains....

http://www.cathedralgrove.eu/text/01-Cathedral-Grove-3.htm

It's all about the money...

I, uh, am a forester. Protecting the vertical and horizontal complexity of late-succesional forest stands is one of my top priorities. I also spend a lot of my energy accelerating the development of these desirable traits in forest stands through silvicultural applications. TL;DR -- I'm more concerned about "Old-Growth" than you are, because I do it for a living.

I see this site is now populated with a lot of narrow minded types who don't seem to understand the value of old growth forests.

It IS abhorrent what is being done in BC, and has been done in the past by US logging practices, and may still be going on in the Tongass, I'm not sure.

Clear cutting clearly has its place, but the way it was done historically effectively destroyed the ecosystem. Given today's knowledge, forest managers should show more respect for the forest by clear cutting smaller swaths, and being sure to respect the watersheds...AND show more respect for the areas where the best old growth remains....

Yer comment of "any anti-logging bias is good" is what ticks me off.

Sure the old growth truly wild areas should be preserved, and they are here in the states, its also why 9 out of 10 mills have closed here since the 90's. The little town I spent my teens and 20's in is just about a ghost town, because folks like you want to protect the native growth, well there isn't much native growth around there, but its mostly Forest Service ground and now thanks to a bunch of whining city ****s there isn't a whole lot of logging on Forest Service ground. What is done is just thinning in an attempt to control the fire danger... and its really not enough. So there aren't any timber jobs out of the ole home town, anyone logging near there is from farther north, much farther north, where there is more DNR land and more reliable logging.

So you know a big thanks is in order for a whole generation of loggers and loggers kids that have nothing to do or look forward to besides boeing or drugs.

Yep the anti Logging crap ticked me off to. Maybe I should go to your forum and talk about how trimming trees is unnatural and abhorrent. The trees have a right to grow that way. It's the way God intended. What about lichen, or tree frogs, or ants that make their homes in those urban trees? Birds, bugs whatever? Just silly hippy talk. Clearcuts grow back. Old growth or virgin timber are pretty questionable terms. Old growth to who? To us that only live 80 years? So what? We are just a speck in the existence of life. Should we mow down every big tree we come across? No. But how much preserved land is enough? Who decides where to stop? Save a little near the major highways so the hippies can smile and let the rest be cut and grow back where only the loggers tred. Who else is going to supply this planet with the wood we need?

Honestly its selfish of us to preserve old trees that are taking up space for future trees to be harvested by future generations. Around here mature trees get cut. Over mature trees become wild life trees until they fall over. Releasing younger generations of trees is what keeps the supply going.

We grow 'em pretty well out here in the PNW. Of course, if you want to talk about tragic deforestation, let's talk about clearing the east coast/midwest hardwood forests for farming 1700-1900. That was about triple the area cut on the west coast since 1900... and virtually none of it was ever reforested. What's forested there now is largely fallow lands reclaimed by nature. Naw, I think it's fair to say that we've learned a few things in the last 300 years, and we're doing pretty OK both by the market and by the land. Now, if we could only stop exporting raw materials and bring the mills and their jobs back home.

You seem quite sure of yourself on this subject. You should be aware then that more trees are regenerated yearly than are harvested? That we have more forest cover now than in a long time? Forests now are managed economically. That is, to provide return on shareholder investments while maintaining the ability to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. You anti-logging types who seem to foolishly believe that a cut tree is never replaced just cant grasp the fact that we have an un-fathomable amount of timber in this country alone, and that active management, silviculture, and harvest is good for our forests.

Forests which are not intensively managed and harvested succumb to mortality, fire, etc. USFS lands are largely in terrible shape because of people like you who vehemently oppose logging and forestry without actually having a clue as to what it is you are opposing.

Ummm, where in hell did I say I'm anti-logging? Perhaps you should quit being so sensitive. What I don't like is what went on in the past and what is going on in Canada...clearcuts too large.... the best forest is not one with stands of even aged second growth, but a diverse one... and that can be maintained better if less logging is done...and, where possible and practical, more standing trees left.. maybe some even thinned or crown reduced to reduce windthrow chances while the new forest grows around them. I'm well aware of how fast a woods can regenerate, especially redwood and spruce, even Doug-fir, and know clearcuts, in general, are best for regeneration of a sun loving tree like fir....
As well, the ecosystem is very important, and is always going to be more diverse and healthy in a diverse forest.

Back