I'm looking for a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've used a Husky 22 ton splitter for 15 years now and I like that type of splitter. It's nice and slow and easy to control.
However, I'm getting tired of noodling big rounds down to manageable sises. I would love to have a log lift on my next unit. Any recommendations? Make, model, size, price,
My budget is around $1,500. to $2,000. I would like it to be in the 30 ton range.
Thanks

I don't think you're going to find anything worthwhile in your price range with a lift.

Do you have a tractor with a loader?

My tractor is too small for that.
I would be willing to go a little higher then 2 grand.
What price range is an entry level splitter with a log lift?
How hard would it be to add one to my existing splitter.
What would be needed? Cylinder, hose, hand valve and some kind of rack.

Only thing I am gonna say about a lift is that if you raise a 35"x18"(approx 650lbs) round of white Oak up to split your going to have 2 pieces 325lbs to deal with very quickly when it busts in half. You need to have a plan beyond a lift getting up on the beam.
Be careful with your new machine.

Only thing I am gonna say about a lift is that if you raise a 35"x18"(approx 650lbs) round of white Oak up to split your going to have 2 pieces 325lbs to deal with very quickly when it busts in half. You need to have a plan beyond a lift getting up on the beam.
Be careful with your new machine.

Good points but with a log lift, the lift itself will catch one side of the drop off. So that leaves only one side to deal with at a time.
Besides I can just let it fall to the ground if it's too heavy to handle. I have thought about using a truck bed crane and attach it to the splitter to lift the rounds with. I don't like splitting vertical, it's actually harder then horizontal, (in my opinion)
The 22 ton splits most of the wood just fine. But live oak is plentiful around here but it's very hard to split. Live oak is one of the best oaks for heat but a ***** to split. I have been rejecting loads of live oak just for that reason, Too damn hard to split.
My 22 ton will bust right through most knotty wood and forked wood just fine. Put a small piece of live oak on it and it will come to a dead stop.
Knotty pecan can be a challenge on a splitter as well. I only deal with cooking woods, Pecan, oak, mesquite, and hickory.

I really like the looks of the Countyline 40 ton splitter from TS https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter
Or the DHT 35 ton unit https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...orizontal-vertical-log-splitter-kohler-engine

Any opinions on ether brand or modle? DHT or Countyline?

I've been selling wood for over 10 years now and no mater how much wood I stock up on, I sell out every year.

Good points but with a log lift, the lift itself will catch one side of the drop off. So that leaves only one side to deal with at a time.
Besides I can just let it fall to the ground if it's too heavy to handle. I have thought about using a truck bed crane and attach it to the splitter to lift the rounds with. I don't like splitting vertical, it's actually harder then horizontal, (in my opinion)
The 22 ton splits most of the wood just fine. But live oak is plentiful around here but it's very hard to split. Live oak is one of the best oaks for heat but a ***** to split. I have been rejecting loads of live oak just for that reason, Too damn hard to split.
My 22 ton will bust right through most knotty wood and forked wood just fine. Put a small piece of live oak on it and it will come to a dead stop.

I really like the looks of the Countyline 40 ton splitter from TS https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter
Or the DHT 35 ton unit https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...orizontal-vertical-log-splitter-kohler-engine

Any opinions on ether brand or modle? DHT or Countyline?
i wanted the DHT after using one but the NEW countyline 25 ton came along for less than $700. that said watching all the DHT threads here it seems that anyone with an issue got great response from DHT with new parts etc. check your local Lowes store if you have one. they run some good deals on DHT and may price match other stores. good luck.

i wanted the DHT after using one but the NEW countyline 25 ton came along for less than $700. that said watching all the DHT threads here it seems that anyone with an issue got great response from DHT with new parts etc. check your local Lowes store if you have one. they run some good deals on DHT and may price match other stores. good luck.

Yes I have noticed all the positive comments posted about the DHT brand.
All these types of splitters are almost exactly alike, no mater what brand they are.
The Countyline 40 is a little bit larger then the DHT 35, though I suspect ether will do a good job.
I like that the Countyline is larger and it comes with an engine guard and the DHT does not.
I could add an engine guard easily enough to the DHT.
I'll check Lowes pricing before I buy.

I'm sure I'll still get many years out of my old splitter, but I think it's time to invest in a bigger unit.
I can quarter up a big round with my saw in short order so figuring out a way skip that step needs to be just as easy and time saving.

My tractor is too small for that.

Well, If you have a FEL and a set of skidding/lifting tongs, you can use the tractor to lift the heavier pieces and hold them.

BUT.....

I have found that its easier to make the pieces smaller on the ground rather than make them smaller with the splitter. I was never a noodler, but I will to prevent having to deal with 2 heavy pieces off the ground.

You can also build a staging table to set next to your splitter to lift pieces onto so you don't have to lift them manually, more than once. Would be WAY less than 2+ grand. Even if you are looking into buying a bigger splitter... Ive got a CUT tractor and I size my logs so the tractor can lift them onto my DIY cutting deck. Rounds get rolled onto a staging table and then rolled onto the splitter. I rarely have to lift anything other than a finished split to toss into the trailer or a tote.

What price range is an entry level splitter with a log lift?

I think these are the least expensive option with a log lift, at least that I found when I was looking... Mind you I didn't go that option and instead bought a Super Split and elevated my work area.

22 ton

37 ton

I think Northern Tool sells a comparable model to the above as well....

How hard would it be to add one to my existing splitter.
What would be needed? Cylinder, hose, hand valve and some kind of rack.

Not hard at all if you have the skills, or are willing to pay a fabricator to do it. I don't know the particulars, but it is possible.

I'm sure I'll still get many years out of my old splitter, but I think it's time to invest in a bigger unit.
I can quarter up a big round with my saw in short order so figuring out a way skip that step needs to be just as easy and time saving.

I, personally, have found that this can become very expensive. Ive been through several iterations of my process, all thinking that what I'm doing is going to make things easier.... What Ive found is that I don't have pockets willing to expand to the size necessary to fall in line with my desires. So I bit the bullet on a quality, fast splitter and then built a staging/cutting table.

Keep in mind I ended up buying a new tractor with a FEL. I needed a new tractor anyway, but if I wasn't wanting to have the loader, I could have gone way smaller and less expensive.

Did you think of using a HF 1000 pound motor cycle lift? They are only $400 before coupons, if they qualify. You set it next to the splitter, it will lower flat to the ground, load 2 or 3 big rounds, lift it up level to the splitter. With straight Oak I can split a slab, off center, so I don't have a 300 pound chunk falling on me, and the lift acts as a table for the other side, Joe.

I know it isn’t the preferred position for many people but why not just use the splitter you have in the vertical position to quarter the big rounds into manageable pieces? My 22t husky has no problem with the big rounds.

Otherwise I think you’ll spend around $4k minimum on a splitter with log lift.

Well, If you have a FEL and a set of skidding/lifting tongs, you can use the tractor to lift the heavier pieces and hold them.

BUT.....

I have found that its easier to make the pieces smaller on the ground rather than make them smaller with the splitter. I was never a noodler, but I will to prevent having to deal with 2 heavy pieces off the ground.

You can also build a staging table to set next to your splitter to lift pieces onto so you don't have to lift them manually, more than once. Would be WAY less than 2+ grand. Even if you are looking into buying a bigger splitter... Ive got a CUT tractor and I size my logs so the tractor can lift them onto my DIY cutting deck. Rounds get rolled onto a staging table and then rolled onto the splitter. I rarely have to lift anything other than a finished split to toss into the trailer or a tote.

I think these are the least expensive option with a log lift, at least that I found when I was looking... Mind you I didn't go that option and instead bought a Super Split and elevated my work area.

22 ton

37 ton

I think Northern Tool sells a comparable model to the above as well....

Not hard at all if you have the skills, or are willing to pay a fabricator to do it. I don't know the particulars, but it is possible.

I've been running on just one splitter for over 10 years now and I have no plans to stop any time soon.
Business is great so I think it's time to invest in a new (bigger) splitter and to have a back up and replacement for the old unit that has so many hours on it.
My tractor is small but it does have a 3 point hitch. I've pondered the idea of getting forks for it to move rounds with. My tractor is too small for a front loader so it will have to use the 3 point hitch.
Putting forks on the tractor will let me pick up rounds, but not very far off the ground. 2 feet at best.
But if the round is laying flat, I might could use the forks to possion the round under the splitter and go vertical.

I (need-want) a bigger splitter and I want to try and make work a little easier too.

I know it isn’t the preferred position for many people but why not just use the splitter you have in the vertical position to quarter the big rounds into manageable pieces?

The old splitter is old. Business is good and I'm turning away premium quality firewood because my currant splitter is not worthy of such tasks.

I do't have one. I have two trailers so I put the splitter between the trailers and split from one and toss onto the other. But. I keep thinking about the lift for when I dump loads. I split most of my wood on the paved court in front of the house so I have a nice smooth, stable splitting surface to work from. The motor cycle lift would be nice because I could roll it off the court, I can't set up anything permanent there, Joe.

Back