I'm looking for a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2573ms9.jpg

I fixed the push plate this morning by welding some strips along the outer edge of the plate.

2d0mafk.jpg

Put on the hour meter and then I got to run about a half cord of knotty pecan and about a half cord of knotty live oak. I'm liking how fast and powerful this unit is.
4io5c6.jpg

I like the see through return hose so I can monitor fluid conditions.

3127475.jpg

The vent hole in the dip stick is a very poor design. My old splitter had the same set up and I got water in the oil. This will have to be replaced with a better more weather proof vent cap.

2r595ra.jpg

I fixed the push plate this morning by welding some strips along the outer edge of the plate.

2d0mafk.jpg

Put on the hour meter and then I got to run about a half cord of knotty pecan and about a half cord of knotty live oak. I'm liking how fast and powerful this unit is.
4io5c6.jpg

3127475.jpg

The vent hole in the dip stick is a very poor design. My old splitter had the same set up and I got water in the oil. This will have to be replaced with a better more weather proof vent cap.

2r595ra.jpg

I found some old brass fittings in an old bucket. It's not really a vent cap but it will keep the water out.

2uqdvmx.jpg
ya got me thinking about that vent plug and even though i keep my splitter covered i'm was looking at the vent/fill cap for a DHT splitter and need to find out if it will fit. reminds me of the breather cap on my old 54 chevy truck.
https://shop.dirtyhandtools.com/collections/tank-beam-parts/products/vent-cap

I would put an actual filtered breather when you can get one. Not just an open open vent.

and I would change that clear vinyl suction hose to an actual hydraulic suction hose. With the wire spiral (not wire braid) reinforcement they are designed to prevent collapsing inward under suction. I’ve changed two or three of the clear vinyl ones on different splitters when they get hot they get soft and then later on start to collapse and cause restriction

I would put an actual filtered breather when you can get one. Not just an open open vent.

and I would change that clear vinyl suction hose to an actual hydraulic suction hose. With the wire spiral (not wire braid) reinforcement they are designed to prevent collapsing inward under suction. I’ve changed two or three of the clear vinyl ones on different splitters when they get hot they get soft and then later on start to collapse and cause restriction
I think it has a wire support already in it but I'll check and make sure. Thanks.
As for the vent, my old splitter is set up the same way only I used PVC instead of brass. It has never been a problem. However, I can probably put a stainless screen in the brass pipe to keep debris out.

I'm with Kevin J. That's your suction line - not a return line. Suggest you buy a proper replacement for it now - they don't tend to survive long. Not robust enough for the application.
Unfortunately - no easy way to swap it without draining the hydraulic tank (tipping the splitter up on end is not considered easy)

I changed the fluid in my 22T this past spring and it looked new, total waste of money IMHO, the fluid was in the splitter since 06 and the splitters is stored outside. My guess is moisture got in yours simply from cycling the cylinder, and maybe not getting it hot enough? not from water actually pouring in through the vent, I don't see how any significant amount of water could actually get in through that tiny hole. The vent was not the cause IMHO, and this is how most splitter vents are setup. I personally would be more worried with that homemade vent, a lot of crap could get in that big pipe. Keeping the fluid level up will also help keep moisture out.

Glad you're hiking the new splitter looks like a pretty solid buy.[emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Mine didn't let water in but when the oil got hot and the splitter was tilted in the right direction,it vented oil heavily.I put a 3" nipple,with external threads both ends,drilled a diagonal vent hole toward the top of the new cap.No dipstick feature but no oil venting either.

2d0mafk.jpg

4io5c6.jpg

3127475.jpg

2r595ra.jpg

I changed the fluid in my 22T this past spring and it looked new, total waste of money IMHO, the fluid was in the splitter since 06 and the splitters is stored outside. My guess is moisture got in yours simply from cycling the cylinder, and maybe not getting it hot enough? not from water actually pouring in through the vent, I don't see how any significant amount of water could actually get in through that tiny hole. The vent was not the cause IMHO, and this is how most splitter vents are setup. I personally would be more worried with that homemade vent, a lot of crap could get in that big pipe. Keeping the fluid level up will also help keep moisture out.

Glad you're hiking the new splitter looks like a pretty solid buy.[emoji106]

No my old splitter had a lot of water in the oil. Not a little but a lot. It looked like a McDonald milkshake. Yes the hole is tiny, but that tiny hole can let in more water then the moisture in the air being exchanged every cycle. Besides, ever since I changed the vent on the old splitter, water or moisture has not been an issue. As for wasting your money on an unneeded oil change, I hate to say it but that's on you. You should have inspected the oil condition before you changed it. As long as the oil is clean with no moisture in it, It should last for ever.

No my old splitter had a lot of water in the oil. Not a little but a lot. It looked like a McDonald milkshake. Yes the hole is tiny, but that tiny hole can let in more water then the moisture in the air being exchanged every cycle. Besides, ever since I changed the vent on the old splitter, water or moisture has not been an issue. As for wasting your money on an unneeded oil change, I hate to say it but that's on you. You should have inspected the oil condition before you changed it. As long as the oil is clean with no moisture in it, It should last for ever.
I think maybe you took what I was trying to say the wrong way. I changed the oil even after inspecting it just because, but yeah it was probably in the end of waste of money I saw nothing in it. It was old so I figured why not. But yeah the vent probably isn't the source of the moisture IMHO, you can probably turn the hose on it and not get much or any water in, but doesn't take much moisture to turn the fluid milky, air bubbles in the fluid can look similar too. Keeping the fluid level up is a good way at keeping moisture down.

Anyway have fun with the new tool/toy[emoji6] If I ever replace my 22T I'd be looking had at this model.

I'm with Kevin J. That's your suction line - not a return line. Suggest you buy a proper replacement for it now - they don't tend to survive long. Not robust enough for the application.
Unfortunately - no easy way to swap it without draining the hydraulic tank (tipping the splitter up on end is not considered easy)

I checked and it does have a wire insert on the suction hose. Thanks for the heads up.

3.5 hours on it now and it's still on the first tank of gas. I have only had to run it at half speed and it has no problem getting through tough wood that my old splitter would be struggling with. I'm really liking the taller wedge and it seems to be every bit as fast as advertised. Because it's more beefed up and heavy I can toss a round up on the deck and it is solid and doesn't move around at all.

a boat gas tank come on
That can be confusing for a person without a sharp eye. If you notice the fuel cell is attached to a log splitter thus making it a log splitter fuel tank.
3.5 hours on it now and it's still on the first tank of gas. I have only had to run it at half speed and it has no problem getting through tough wood that my old splitter would be struggling with. I'm really liking the taller wedge and it seems to be every bit as fast as advertised. Because it's more beefed up and heavy I can toss a round up on the deck and it is solid and doesn't move around at all.
Gald to see/hear/read your new investment is working out and meeting or exceeding your expectations!
If u look at the hydraulic tank on my HB5 logsplitter you can see a silver vent on the corner. Do not look at the 6.6 gallon red logsplitter fuel cell as it is vented thru the cap. Those silver vents are $5-$10 and well worth the money.

Temps are in the low 30's and she starts right up on the first pull. First impressions are looking good. I love a new toy.:chop:
Lol you guys in the south, 30 isn't cold man it better start.[emoji6] They get a little stiff around 0 and you best be running 10W synthetic instead of 30 SAE.

Back