I'm looking for a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That can be confusing for a person without a sharp eye. If you notice the fuel cell is attached to a log splitter thus making it a log splitter fuel tank.

Gald to see/hear/read your new investment is working out and meeting or exceeding your expectations!
If u look at the hydraulic tank on my HB5 logsplitter you can see a silver vent on the corner. Do not look at the 6.6 gallon red logsplitter fuel cell as it is vented thru the cap. Those silver vents are $5-$10 and well worth the money.

Thats a common vent cap. All It needs to do is keep water and debris out and let air in and out. My home made brass vent does exactly that, and it was free.:yes:
It will work till I get a chance to get another one. Thanks for the idea.

I may upgrade the wheel hubs with some bearing buddy's for easy greasing. Don't want the bearings to end up like on the old splitter.

Within the first few min of operating my new splitter, it was very apparent that wood can easily slip off the push plate. And in fact it did a few times, once with quite a bit of force. I did a test with some scrap to see if it would keep the wood secure. Now that I know it will work, I replaced the temporary gussets with a solid piece welded 100%. The test pieces stuck out a little to much so I shortened it up a little bit. I wanted a slight ridge on the perimeter edge so this was my solution. It's a big improvement. Pieces don't slip off anymore.

Before:
2u428wi.jpg

Testing:
2d0mafk.jpg

Final:
jzuu7q.jpg

Your solution looks much prettier than mine. 1/2" rebar in the shape of an X.

A guy stopped in for some firewood and while talking with him, he mentioned that he was looking for a used spliter. I just happen to have a used splitter that I may let go, now that I have a new unit. I let him look it over and I started it up and cycled it a few times to show it works.
I didn't say anything to him, but man is my old splitter SLOW. After using my new splitter with 9.5 sec cycle times, my old one is ridiculously slow.
It's so slow I don't think I'll ever go back to using it. I think I'll just sell it and put that money on the new one.
I was at Lowes the other day and they had some DHT splitters out front. I looked at the DHT 35 ton unit and it looked like an entry level splitter compared to the Countyline 40 unit.
If you get a chance to see them side by side, you can clearly see the difference.
If your in the market for a conventional splitter. You owe it to yourself to look at the Countyline 40 ton unit. I'm not disappointed with it at all.

As I suspected when I opened up the wheel hubs, the bearings had "minimal" grease on them. After correcting that issue, I fixed the bearings on the old splitter as well. As luck would have it, I had some bearings that I bought for another trailer and they didn't fit and wasn't worth the drive to return them. I had forgotten about them and found in a drawer.
I love to find odd ball parts laying around that save me a parts run and money.

I love to find odd ball parts laying around that save me a parts run and money.
Every time I use something like that I make a point to tell my wife that I've been saving it for 15 years and even knew what box to find it in! She has wondered aloud about why I keep stuff...

Every time I use something like that I make a point to tell my wife that I've been saving it for 15 years and even knew what box to find it in! She has wondered aloud about why I keep stuff...

The challenge is finding what your looking for, when you need it. Sometimes I look for days for something, only having to go buy it cause I can't find it and it and it can't wait. Only to find the part the next day after I gave up and bought the part.

On the other side, I'll hold onto something for 20 years, then finely getting rid of it. Only to need it shortly after.

Case in point. The mod I did on the splitter, I had to buy the bar stock, cause I scrapped most of what I had been saving over the years.

I keep scrap pieces of metal piled outside the door to my shop. Many times I need just a small piece for something, I throw all the scrap in a pile until My wife makes me haul it off, and then the next day I need a small piece and have to buy it. My metal supplier is a real arsh. You need 4 ft of channel, tube, ext, he charges for the whole piece and keeps the left overs. It actually pisses him off If I load the drop on my truck. I am paying for it, so why leave it for him to resale to the next guy. Of course, this makes my outside pile start growing all over again.

I keep scrap pieces of metal piled outside the door to my shop. Many times I need just a small piece for something, I throw all the scrap in a pile until My wife makes me haul it off, and then the next day I need a small piece and have to buy it. My metal supplier is a real arsh. You need 4 ft of channel, tube, ext, he charges for the whole piece and keeps the left overs. It actually pisses him off If I load the drop on my truck. I am paying for it, so why leave it for him to resale to the next guy. Of course, this makes my outside pile start growing all over again.

If I paid for it, it's coming with me.
That's like someone paying for a cord of wood, only to leave half of it behind.

Do you deal directly with Countryline or TSC for customer support? What's the warranty?

W

Ok so I have 2 months on it and 40+ hours run time. So far I'm very happy with my new splitter. I've ran post oak, red oak, pecan, mesquite, live oak, ash through it and she's not struggled at all with anything I have thrown at it. I've run at least 10+ cords through it and I like it, a lot. I changed the oil at the 4 hr, 20 hr, and 40 hr, marks. Oil looked very good every time. Big thumbs up so far! :chop:

I think it has a wire support already in it but I'll check and make sure. Thanks.
As for the vent, my old splitter is set up the same way only I used PVC instead of brass. It has never been a problem. However, I can probably put a stainless screen in the brass pipe to keep debris out.
I have little mud wasps around here that like to make nests in any little holes they can find. Found all my trailer hitch wire plugs filled up at times.

I rented a tw-6 log splitter by Timberwolf and was very impressed. It’s about double what you’re looking to spend but it is extremely fast. And well worth the money. Like 2 guys with a conveyor minimum to keep it working at full capacity.
http://www.timberwolfequip.com/tw-6-log-splitter/

Then my next step is going to be this one right here. Used to be made by tempest but woodmizer bought them out I guess. I think this design is brilliant! But it’s high. Like $13k high

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Log-Splitters/FS500-Log-Splitter

Back