I'm thinking of trading my 880 for a 462 as im getting older.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I am getting older. Don't have the lungs to use the beast anymore
I would find a way to own both... I also own a couple beast's that don't get much use. 076 and 084... but there's nothing like them... wouldn't want you to have any regrets... Best of luck on your new saw

I like mine pretty good... 462 is in the top 5 out of my 40 right now.
Bit more power than the classic 372 once both are broken in & 462 feels like it weighs less than my 16" MS 290 with a 25" light bar. Well balanced saw, starts easy, and cuts nicely.
More bottom grunt than my stihl 460. I can actually lean on the 462 a good bit in the cut where as the previous model is decidedly touchy.
Not a replacement for an 880 or 660/661, but a great, nicely balanced workhorse of a saw in the woods for up to a 30" bar.

462 is definitely an awesome saw. The weight is phenomenal. When you get one, don't expect to be surprised by the power at first. It'll feel like a quick reving 70cc, but with a very narrow power band. However, after dozen or so tanks of fuel, it really wakes up and the power spreads out nicely. To me it feels like an aggressively ported 60cc saw in weight and rpms, but has the power of a modded 70cc.
I completely agree with the torque. It just keeps cutting. I've heard that with longer bars it struggles when leaned on and burried, though I only run 20"-25" on mine and am pleasantly surprised every time I use it.
It feels more like a 372 than the 572 does.
As a replacement for an 880... That may be asking a bit much.

I don't want a smaller saw but find the 880 is getting too big for me. It is a great saw, can't be stopped. But it is very heavy. I am just getting older.

I hear you brother! I am just turning 60 And I’m carrying my 441 all day like a boat anchor I could only imagine a 660 or an 880. Anyway that’s why I bought my 201T I drop and fell And buck with my 441 and trim with my 201

Back