I'm up and running!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got my mill a week or two ago, and picked away at setting it up since then. Finally got it running today, and we ran a couple logs. Oh boy, this is fun!!!

Now enough talk - pics and vids!

Here we are setting the cutting head on the bed:

And here is the second log we cut.

Here are the results from that log:

IMG_4485.JPG IMG_4486.JPG IMG_4487.JPG

The first log was Box Elder - about 3-4 feet long, and I just slabbed it into pieces - most 1 inch, a 2 incher, and one at 1/4" and one at 1/8" just for fun.

My buddy asked if I had anything special I wanted made out of one of those slabs, since it was the first log. I thought about it for a couple hours, then came up with an idea. A name plate!

I decided to call this "Grover's Mill."

Some of you may recognize the name as a town in New Jersey, and the infamous town of being the landing spot of the Martians in "War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells.
But it just so happens that this mill was mostly paid for by my dad, whose name happens to be Grover.
And of course, the name Grover comes from 'grove' which means 'small forest'.
Lots of good connections there, so Grover's Mill is the perfect name for this!!

Got my mill a week or two ago, and picked away at setting it up since then. Finally got it running today, and we ran a couple logs. Oh boy, this is fun!!!

Now enough talk - pics and vids!

Here we are setting the cutting head on the bed:

And here is the second log we cut.

Here are the results from that log:

View attachment 864485 View attachment 864486 View attachment 864487

Ha Ha, Somebody is having big fun! ! ! ! Congrats, you're making it look easy and fun now ! ! ! Good job Mr Stach Man!

Flamed Box Elder. Yum!

Do you mill for others as a business? I have a log from time to time and I'm close by.

P.S. Just saw your Oct 1st thread, so no need to reply about your business. I'd like to see your setup sometime.

Looking good . Went to mill some today of course the coldest day of the month about 28 degrees . Got the first log loaded and the hydraulics went out. After two hours of getting tools and checking with a meter we found the selenoid that controls the pump wasn’t working . So hopefully we can get one tomorrow . This is my friends mill 8A9C5CAB-9F3E-4BDF-A6DB-640E2B0560B2.jpeg

Flamed Box Elder. Yum!

Do you mill for others as a business? I have a log from time to time and I'm close by.

P.S. Just saw your Oct 1st thread, so no need to reply about your business. I'd like to see your setup sometime.

Yes, I mill for others, but you need to bring the logs to me, unless you want to pay me to transport as well.

I had my first customer the other day - milled up 4 oak logs and a few maple for her. We'll do more maple logs later on.

Here's my best vid of the setup. Someday we'll build a proper shed, and maybe have a decent skid steer to load easier.

My friend was a Woodmizer dealer for several years. Sold lots of LT10s and 15s.

He runs a diesel LT40. I didn't really realize how much less work it is. Has it's own hydraulic log loader and positioner.

Back