Impressed - Stihl 041 FarmBoss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I inherited a Stihl 041 FarmBoss- 20"bar from my father-in-law. I cranked it up and cut into a large sycamore log. Geez, that old saw went through it like a hot butter knife. Sweet running saw. Does anyone know how many cc's this saw is? Was this a popular saw back in its day? Do they make a comparable saw today like this one? Are parts tough to come by for these old saws? Got a good one you want rid of?

Lots of questions....need some answers! TKS

Yes I have one for sale

But it is not cheap....it is an original 041 one of the first sold in the area here and has had very little use.....I will post pics later when I get it out.....the paint is near perfect and shows how little use it has had

JamesReed,
The standard (not super) 041 was 61cc and came out in the mid 1960s. At that time it was one of the finest saws available and it, along with the 031 are the saws that made Stihl what they are today. As far as making a comparable saw today everyone is going to have an opinion on that but the short answer in my book is, there is no saw comparable to an 041.
They are big and heavy and loud and not as safe as todays saws and some will say that these are bad things. I say that there will be 041s and 031s running when Jesus comes back. Many of them have been in steady use for 40 years or more. I ask you "What can you purchase today and have a reasonable expectation of still using 40 years from now?"
As for parts availability many of the parts for these saws are still available through Stihl dealers, some are available aftermarket and there are literally THOUSANDS of parts saws (and saws that are being parted out) available.
I do have a very good one and when I have lost everything else in my world you will be able to see me walking down the road with it in one hand and my old bolt action 30-30in the other!
Mike

Stihl 041 Farmboss

I bought an 041 Farmboss used for $125 about five years ago and it's been my principle firewood cutting saw since. It was almost cherry then and had a 16" bar/chain on it when I bought it, but I now use a 20" on it. I can bog it down, but I really have to load it to do that. I obtained a copy of the manual from Stihl just after I bought it. It lists two different displacements: 61cc (3.72 cu.in.) or S=72cc (4.4 cu. in.). I guess there were two different versions, one designated "S". The only parts I've replaced so far were available from the local Stihl dealer, and included a carb kit, fuel and impulse lines, the resilient parts of the oil pump, and in-tank fuel pickup filter. The one downside is that it doesn't have a chain brake, so I've taken to using the almost new MS290 I was able to buy last year in another deal that was too good to pass up, and keeping the 041 as a backup (and to retrieve the 290 when I get it pinched).

PESt,
That old 30-30 has killed a TRAIN CAR load of deer, and even tho' folks will try to tell you that they are outdated and ineffective it ALWAYS does it's job if I do my part. I have yet to ever pull the starter rope on that 041 that it didn't start( with fuel in the tank of course ) but the next time may be the time!
If I have my 30-30 I can kill something to eat and with the 041 I can cut a pile of wood to cook it with!!!LOL
Mike

My BIL acquired his 041FB from his Dad who's had it since new. It's seen a lot of wood in it's time and still has >150 psi compression. It's a very torquey saw, but it's also very slow. My ported 260 will easily out cut it. It was a great saw in it's day, but a 361 will run circles around it. I've yet to run my 041 Super to compare it to.

They you will be needing my alcohol conversion kit to run the saw on....if it gets that bad there will be no gas for us peons

PESt,
That old 30-30 has killed a TRAIN CAR load of deer, and even tho' folks will try to tell you that they are outdated and ineffective it ALWAYS does it's job if I do my part. I have yet to ever pull the starter rope on that 041 that it didn't start( with fuel in the tank of course ) but the next time may be the time!
If I have my 30-30 I can kill something to eat and with the 041 I can cut a pile of wood to cook it with!!!LOL
Mike

Well said! Anyone that thinks a 30-30 is ineffective doesn't know how to hunt.:cheers:

30-30 cases trimmed.
CCI 250 Mag Primers
35 Grains Winchester 748
Speer 170 Grain bullets.
With a bolt action you could use boat tail bullets.I have had excellent results with this mixture. My 041 is alive and kicking.This saw will be around to make my coffin.Ken

30-30 cases trimmed.
CCI 250 Mag Primers
35 Grains Winchester 748
Speer 150 Grain bullets.
With a bolt action you could use boat tail bullets.I have had excellent results with this mixture. My 041 is alive and kicking.This saw will be around to make my coffin.Ken

I use 34.5g w/748 and a Win. LRP. 32g with the 170 grain bullet. 2300/2100fps plus or minus over a chronograph with a long barrel, of course, usually less with a shorter one. Old load but plenty fast, reliable and no pressure signs.

I Got Lucky

Actually, my wife ordered the deer, we use it like most folks use beef. I guess I got lucky, when deer season comes around and other guys wives are complaining about them being in the woods, my wife is telling me " I think there's room in the freezer for two more deer".
KENSKIP1 I've been using that load for years. I picked up some BARNES X 150g FN 30-30 bullets real cheap and they work great.
Mike

I was speaking to a Stihl dealer I know yesterday, and he says that parts are starting to get scarce for these saws. He's sold tons of them over the years, and many are still in use. So, he grabs any dead one he can find as an additional parts source.

I've got two 041's; one in mint shape, and one that's kind of ruff. Both run great. I suppose that in alot of ways, they would fail to measure up to todays saws. But despite their statisical shortcomings, I think they are great saws. Pick it up and pull the rope, and the first impression you get is "well built". It's one of those saws that won't break unless you do something dumb and bust it. It's very easy to work on; you can't ask for easier access to the carb. Plus, they give a little diversity to my collection of old Jonsereds.:givebeer:

And

As long as you have a points ignition stator it will run no matter what.....even an EMP blast will not stop it

The 041 Farm Boss was a very popular saw in my area in it's day. I bought one new in 1976 when I got out of high school, I thought I could take on every tree in sight & I gave it one he11 of a try.

Back