ArboristSite.com Sponsors

impressed with Husqvarna 545 mark II

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by outdoortype, Dec 7, 2019.

1. outdoortype

outdoortype ArboristSite Guru

Just got a new 545 mark II and had lots of fun. I started out using 20LPX with and 18" and was surprised. I didn't expect it to cut so fast. I asked the dealer if it would keep up with my 50cc 346xp (that has been pretty much babied). He said it would be close and he wasn't wrong. I have never ran an AT saw or an earlier 550, 545 etc. so I cannot compare. As far as weight goes, it is heavier than the 346xp but it balances well. I've ran almost 4 tanks through it but not a lot of limbing. Bucking firewood it wasn't much behind my non-cat 359. I was also surprised by Oregon BPX. My dealer said he used a lot of semi-chisel so I ran it a lot today. It seemed like it wasn't as much of a difference in cutting speed compare to using 3/8 chisel vs 3/8 semi chisel. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. sunfish

sunfish Fish Head

Very good saw!

Yes I've notice how well Oregon BPX cuts, have used it for years. Stays sharp way longer than chisel.

chipper1 likes this.
  3. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

I'm still curious how the MKIIs compare to a 5105 Dolmar and the Makitas. On paper they're close.

pavel408, buttercup and chipper1 like this.
  4. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Addicted to ArboristSite

Glad you like it. I got an original edition 545 earlier this year. I am very impressed with it as well. I have done mostly limbing with it. Very light as easy to handle. I haven't cut much bigger stuff with it but what I have cut, it did very well. It came with the Husqvarna xcut narrow kerf chain which I like very much too. Cuts well and stays sharp.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

chipper1 likes this.
  5. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

Quit wondering and bring a 5105 by :D.

sunfish likes this.
  6. buttercup

buttercup Gone fishing

Thanks, that's really interesting to me. I have been aiming in on the 545v2 for quite some time now, it's significantly more affordable than the 550XP and I don't feel the need for the little extra - just a good saw.

sunfish and chipper1 like this.
  7. outdoortype

outdoortype ArboristSite Guru

I know what you mean. The 550 is probably $600 around here. My Husqvarna dealer said that Husqvarna explained that the 545 mark 2 has less power than the 550 mark 2 but a more useful power band to a non-professional. I don't really need the rev-boost because I don't do that much limbing.

sunfish and chipper1 like this.