Impulse line nipple broke ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collbran B

Reaction score
While rebuilding a Stihl ms390 I some how managed to break the brass nipple where the impulse line connects to the crank case. Has anyone replaced one? Any tricks to getting it out?

You young guys are a bit rough on nipples,

Do you burn the saw with a cigarette too?

Etch a butterfly on the crankcase bottom?

Actually there was a butterfly etched on the carb venturi of the saw we worked on in Silver class...

Welcome to AS. Just grab it with a pair of visegrips and twist while pulling, it's just pressed in there. Do you need a replacement?

Yes I will need a replacement. I was going to use one from another cylinder that I have but can't get that one out. I tried pulling and twisting with pliers then I tried a punch but it was slightly too small and just enlarged the hole. I haven't tried the one on the good cylinder yet. Figured I better learn on the old one. I'll look for my bigger punch and try that.

Yes I will need a replacement. I was going to use one from another cylinder that I have but can't get that one out. I tried pulling and twisting with pliers then I tried a punch but it was slightly too small and just enlarged the hole. I haven't tried the one on the good cylinder yet. Figured I better learn on the old one. I'll look for my bigger punch and try that.
Add heat!

Get a set of roll pin punches from Harbor freight. They are flat on the ends and won't wedge out the sides as you tap it out.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Get a set of roll pin punches from Harbor freight. They are flat on the ends and won't wedge out the sides as you tap it out.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. I was using a straight punch but it was just slightly too small

Back