In Search Of.... MS 241 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiak

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Time to upgrade my limbing saw and am convinced I need the MS 241 C-M. I understand they got discontinued in 2018(?). I'm willing to work the phone contacting U.S. dealers. Any ideas on who might still have one in old inventory??

Thank you!

hard to convince me otherwise with Stihl, but was the M-tronic system good when they discontinued the 241CM ?

I really like this Echo CS-352 for limbing.

There are still ms241s everywhere in the UK. Hard to beat the 241 in the current 40cc lineup. Apart from a ps421/ea4300, but they are a tad heavier.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

hard to convince me otherwise with Stihl, but was the M-tronic system good when they discontinued the 241CM ?

Mine is an older model year and I've run gallons and gallons thru it with no issues. Never heard of any problems with the 241. Other models yes.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm really looking for a stock saw and am for sure focused on Stihl as that's what I'm accustomed to using. If I can't find the 241 C-M, I'll most likely just buy another MS 250. The 250 I have now has served me well for 13 years and owes me nothing.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm really looking for a stock saw and am for sure focused on Stihl as that's what I'm accustomed to using. If I can't find the 241 C-M, I'll most likely just buy another MS 250. The 250 I have now has served me well for 13 years and owes me nothing.
Just a thought. MS261 C-M with a .325 16" bar for a good limbing saw. A bit better quality than the MS 250. I paid less for my new 261 than i paid for my 241..

yeah the power/weight on a new 261CM seems like a good way to go if you don't find a stock 241CM. If it were me, if buying a new saw it might as well be in production... longer time period before parts go NLA although I'm sure that won't be for a long time.

Just a thought. MS261 C-M with a .325 16" bar for a good limbing saw. A bit better quality than the MS 250. I paid less for my new 261 than i paid for my 241..
Yeah, I have considered that. Unfortunately, the 261 is a little heavier and I seem to not be getting any stronger year-over-year. Thanks for the suggestion!

Time to upgrade my limbing saw and am convinced I need the MS 241 C-M. I understand they got discontinued in 2018(?). I'm willing to work the phone contacting U.S. dealers. Any ideas on who might still have one in old inventory??

Thank you!
Call Southern States in Hillsville, VA
276-728-2912 and ask for Dougy

and/or call Mt Airy Saw, in Mt Airy, NC
336-789-4891 tell them Kennis Easter told you to call. They have two locations, so you may be in luck.

Lastly, James River Equipment in Mt Airy, NC. Seems like they had one last week.
336-352-2240

If no luck there, PM me. My 241 has 2.5 hours on it. Now with a 261 and a 462, I dont need anything else.

The 241 is way more powerful.
I had a 352, could I ask how you manage with the fuel cap,
I usually spent more time trying to get it to seal after every fill
than it took to fill it and then some, I replaced the seal, never over tightened it,
and even put a coat of chain oil to ensure I did not stretch it as I screwed it up.

I got a few soakings from it, but the worst was when I parked it full of fuel for the next
day, I never trusted it would seal and always let it sit on a newspaper so I could see any
drip before putting it in the trailer in the morning, it sat for a day with no leak, next day I
went to get it and the paper was drenched, I sold it after that, which hurt, as I liked it a lot,
it was light, never tired after a day with it, and I could use it all day without a smidge of dust
on the filter or in the box even, which meant no fiddling out in the open and no time lost on the job.

I got a Makita EA4300, same weight and power as a 241, half the price and no Mtronic to deal with.

Overkill - I will give them a try, thank you!
The people I know said they would regularly have trouble with the 241,
but the good news is, it was always the same solenoid issue and was a cheap part,
as long as you did the replacement yourself it wasn’t a deal breaker, I would have given one
a try if I hadn’t heard they were discontinued, which I think is a mistake by Stihl, maybe they
think they can replace it with a battery saw, but I can’t it any time soon.
I got a Makita instead of a 241, half the price, same weight and power, no MT to cause trouble.

A battery saw will be on my list, I am currently liking them36 volt Makita,
it gets good reviews, I see a tear down of one too, very well built, batteries are cheap
and fit other Makita tools too, and chain speed of 20mtrs a second is same as most gas saws.
Either way, I hope you a saw that meets your needs.

Yeah, I have considered that. Unfortunately, the 261 is a little heavier and I seem to not be getting any stronger year-over-year. Thanks for the suggestion!
I too don’t like any extra weight I can avoid,.
A Dolmar 421 or Makita 4300 are same weight and power as 241, but way cheaper, I bought two of
them cheaper than I could of bought the 241, and really pleased with them.
I had looked ar the 241, but passed, as they were being discontinued, and friends were regularly
replacing solenoids in theirs, I don’t know if this was resolved, but friends went on to other brands.

As others mentioned, the 261 is more power and not much heavier, I would man handle both,
I think you will be surprised at how close in weight they actually are, regardless of what
the figures say, I couldn’t tell much difference at all.
The other killer in my nick of the woods, the price difference was 80.00 euro more gets so much
more in the 261.

I too don’t like any extra weight I can avoid,.
A Dolmar 421 or Makita 4300 are same weight and power as 241, but way cheaper, I bought two of
them cheaper than I could of bought the 241, and really pleased with them.
I had looked ar the 241, but passed, as they were being discontinued, and friends were regularly
replacing solenoids in theirs, I don’t know if this was resolved, but friends went on to other brands.
How much do the Solenoids cost?

Latest posts

Back