Indoor Wood Boiler Idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandRidgeMill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for any advice on an idea I have been dreaming up.

Currently I am running an OWB to heat my shop’s radiant floor heat. I have burned about 14 face cord this year which is a little above average for around here considering the mild winter we have had. I am looking to heat the house with the boiler as well. All in all I will be heating around 4000 sqft.

The problem is, I know the boiler is too small to heat both. My “master plan” is to tear the boiler apart (outer shelter), get the boiler down to the bare bones to turn it into an indoor wood boiler.

I want to install the boiler in my shop uninsulated. My thoughts are that it will heat the shop enough just from heat radiating off it, connect my line to the house, and hopefully burn the same amount of wood that i use to heat one building that i would to heat two.

I am looking for any thoughts on this idea, maybe some things I havent thought about or some head scratchers.

Side note: boiler used to heat just the house with about 10 face cord, which is very little for around here. The lines to the house are still in the ground an would be very easy to hook back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One idea would be to have the boiler situated so insulation panels or doors could be opened or closed to control boiler heat loss to the shop when you aren't using the shop. This could result in a reduction of fuel used.

Why is this a stickie? Didnt see it before.

Waste of time, IMO. If heat is making it into the water jacket, running it the way it is designed should get the heat out to where it is needed. And somehow making it give off more heat will mean you will need to burn more wood to generate said heat.

Back