Indoor Wood Stove. What type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, house sure must be well insulated if a cord last you a month! I could only aspire to burn so little! Believe me I wish I could only burn a cord a month. Have you done anything to extra insulate the house? Do you use your gas furnace, I just can't see heating that big of a house with one cord - must be nice!

Well heres the thing. Dad and grandpa owned an insulating business in the late 70's. The whole home was insulated with urea-formaldahyde foam, which pulls about an r value of 4.5 per inch, so the walls average about r27 on the low side, which I think r13 is required. Secondly he had double hung double pane vinyl windows with triple track storms installed. The attic has very little insulation which has settled to about 2 to 3 inches thick. And last year when I purchased the home from my father, I tore all of the ductwork out of the home and reducted the whole house, took 3 months to do it. I then reinstalled the woodfurnace in series instead of paraelle, that alone made a world of difference. Today my wife loaded the woodfurnace with about 4 decent splits, probably 5 to 6 inches at 12:00 noon, when I got home at 5:00 pm the house was 78 and the woodfurnace had more than enough coals to keep the house warm, its been in the upper 30's today. I am the 3rd generation owner of the home, which I dreamed of owning when I was 5 and I now have it at 25. We put over 12,000 in it last year and we have much more to do, but it heats well and thats one thing I enjoy. Also we have 10 foot ceilings, ceiling fans are the key to some rooms. But basically every room is even heat. I have nothing bad to say about wood heat, love it! Our furnace hasn't ran once this year which is propane. The house is about 2400 square feet.

OK, did I say I had a poorly insulated house? See that is what the difference must be? Although I haven't burnt that much now, but when it averages 25 outside, Yes I burn a cord in 5-7 days. My wife must have it 80 freaking degrees and 75 is just to cold - hell no wonder why I run around naked all the time... I thought that was I was just having hot flashes! Our gas furnace has not been on either. If we run a cold month with no wood - only gas - it is about 500 -550 to pay to VECTREN.

Our place is older than Abe Lincoln, no insulation, very similiar to your pics, and we go through about one cord per month. It miight be that your giving it too much air via the inlet damper or ash pan door, door gaskets. On our first fire of the day the ash drawer is cracked about 1/8" untill the fire is going really good(20min) then it's closed and the little bi-metal inlet damper is set accordingly for the days needs.

This furnace usually burns down 1 cord in 5-7 days in typical 20 - 30 degree weather.

are you serious?? how much wood do you have split? with that kind of demand, you can never rest. do you have a conveyor feeding the stove? when you say cord, are you talking about 128 cubic feet of firewood?

Back