Info on my Pioneer 1074

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Campbell

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got a Pioneer 1074 (it was given to me) and I need some info.

What kind of spark plug do I need?
What ratio is the gas oil mix?
I'm pretty sure it's a 18" bar, but how else can I tell?
It's currently chainless! where can I get the recommended chain from?

The last thing is it does NOT have and air filter on it, do I need one and if anyone has a spare I should like to purchase it.

Thanks guys and girls, any help from you helps me.

BTW I live in Hamilton, ON Canada.

Cheers,
Jay

The 1074 uses a Champion CJ8 plug set at .030" gap. Mixing ratio for fuel is 24/1. If mixing small quantities mix 40ml of oil to 1 litre of gas. Yes, you do need an air filter unless you want to shorten engine life. Don't have any extras, but I can check later on to see if my Stihl dealer has any around. He still has some pioneer parts around. Chain for the 1074 should be .325 pitch. Check with any chainsaw dealer in your area. They should be able to set you up with the correct length of chain. The length of the bar is usually stamped as a number on the bar near the front part of the saw. It will also often have the number of drive links needed as well. Take the bar to wherever you are going to buy the chain and they will set you up. Have you run the saw at all. Before you spend money on a chain make sure the saw is in running condition, i.e., it has spark and the piston is not scored and it has good compression. If you take the muffler off, you can turn the motor over and look in through the exhaust port and check the condition of the piston and cylinder. Cylinder should be shiny and piston should not have any score marks on it. The 1074 uses a point system, so if it has been sitting for a long time, the points might have to be cleaned. Points are behind the flywheel and the flywheel has to be pulled off to access them.

Jay Campbell said:
Hello everyone! I just got a Pioneer 1074 (it was given to me) and I need some info.

What kind of spark plug do I need?
What ratio is the gas oil mix?
I'm pretty sure it's a 18" bar, but how else can I tell?
It's currently chainless! where can I get the recommended chain from?

The last thing is it does NOT have and air filter on it, do I need one and if anyone has a spare I should like to purchase it.

Thanks guys and girls, any help from you helps me.

BTW I live in Hamilton, ON Canada.

Cheers,
Jay

The 1074 is a good little saw. Nice.

If you use cheaper dino 2 stroke oil mix it at 32:1. If you use good quality synthetic mix at 40:1.

Is the bar orignal to the saw? Probably you have a 16 or 18 incher. If it's an aftermarket bar we can tell what size it is and what size chain you need by the numbers stamped on the bar. If you measure from the saw tip to where it meets the front body of the chainsaw that will give you the length of the bar.

I have some filters. You can reach me through PM if you'd like to pick up one. Don't use the saw without it.

I can look in my pioneer binder tomorrow to see what kind of plug you need but my guess is champion CJ6.

Pioneer 1074

Hello

I have used 16 inch bar and chain for the 1074, i have redone many Pioneers and currently have a P28, P26 ( parts ) and a 1074. I believe i have an air filter for it also. What is the sprocket on your saw 7 tooth, 8 tooth or rim? The spark plug i will check. If your piston/ cylinder are scored i have that ( used ) as well. I have crossed to the dark side and become ( mainly ) a Stihl convert. Thanks.

Doc

Last edited:
From what I have been told the saw has been sitting for 2 years or so and before that I don't know. My co-worker gave it to me and said his dad gave it to him. I started it up today for the first time. I didn't do anything special, I just set the choke and pulled. She almost started right up. Sounds really strong and I could not hear any problems as far as pings, knocks or anything to that nature. I didn't even take the plug out. There was no excessive exhaust that spewed out either.

The bar on the saw looks to be original with grey paint, and it says,

Pioneer 474790
16-058-325
Made in Canada 10-0
Pat 1975

I have a few photos of the saw but I did not take any pictueres of the saw with it's platform carrier, saw blade guard, bar chain oil tank and a plastic yellow wedge that says Pioneer (what's that for?).

Thanks again,
Jay

From what you've said you have a very good working saw, get the airfilter and a chain ( sharpened ) and you will be good to go. Does it have a chain brake? How is the paint? A picture would be nice. Also check the teeth on the chain sprocket to see how worn ( pitted it is) Is the yellow wedge solid?

Jay Campbell said:
The bar on the saw looks to be original with grey paint, and it says,

Pioneer 474790
16-058-325
Made in Canada 10-0
Pat 1975

16" bar

.058 Gauge

.325 pitch

Nice looking saw. Almost all the paint is there, thats rare in itself. Thanks.

Doc

Dave here in Winnipeg. I have just restored a 1074 Pioneer.. It was in fantastic condition but, for one major problem... Stripped Bar Studs... I looked online into many chat lines.. Some suggested the studs could be driven into the oil tank.. Not on a 1074... The studs are a 5/16 fine threaded bolt, cast into the actual aluminum housing. Non removable.. I took a look at and considered the longer nut idea... not a very permanent repair... So... I cut the studs off close and square to the body. Then used a 5/16 drill to drill out the studs near to the bottom. Being careful not to go right through into the oil tank. 5/16 is the drill size to tap for a 3/8 course bolt.. This is what I did.. Replacing the original 5/15 fine studs with grade 8 studs, using grade 8 nuts and hardened washers... I also had to drill out the oil pump housing and outer cover to match the new studs. As well as trim the slot in the chain bar to match.. This made a permanent lifetime repair. I have posted this hear for everyone’s info... I am brand new to the site. If anyone wants pictures or more info, please request it here, or e-mail me directly if that is possible...

Remember... old chainsaws are like family... lol

Dave here in Winnipeg. I have just restored a 1074 Pioneer.. It was in fantastic condition but, for one major problem... Stripped Bar Studs... I looked online into many chat lines.. Some suggested the studs could be driven into the oil tank.. Not on a 1074... The studs are a 5/16 fine threaded bolt, cast into the actual aluminum housing. Non removable.. I took a look at and considered the longer nut idea... not a very permanent repair... So... I cut the studs off close and square to the body. Then used a 5/16 drill to drill out the studs near to the bottom. Being careful not to go right through into the oil tank. 5/16 is the drill size to tap for a 3/8 course bolt.. This is what I did.. Replacing the original 5/15 fine studs with grade 8 studs, using grade 8 nuts and hardened washers... I also had to drill out the oil pump housing and outer cover to match the new studs. As well as trim the slot in the chain bar to match.. This made a permanent lifetime repair. I have posted this hear for everyone’s info... I am brand new to the site. If anyone wants pictures or more info, please request it here, or e-mail me directly if that is possible...

Remember... old chainsaws are like family... lol
Yeah, put up some pics of your repair!

Pictures of restored 1074 pioneer with repaired bar studs. upload_2019-1-11_14-21-44.jpeg
upload_2019-1-11_14-22-28.jpeg

upload_2019-1-11_14-23-11.jpeg

upload_2019-1-11_14-23-54.jpeg

upload_2019-1-11_14-24-34.jpeg

upload_2019-1-11_14-25-7.jpeg

upload_2019-1-11_14-25-45.jpeg

Here we go... what you can’t see, is that those studs are JB welded into the housing so they won’t ever back out.. This saw runs fantastic.. It belongs to a friend of mine, and is sort of a family airlume... But 20 or so years ago the studs got stripped and The Little Yellow Saw was set in a back corner to languish away... But a grandson saw it.. and asked if I could restore it to working condition... and here it is...

Latest posts

Back