####ing Termites...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
188462d1309058256-termites-jpg

Consider yourself lucky!!

We have to have our yard treated because they are horrible in our neighborhood... We have had a few issues in the house but no major... I told my friend that we cut the trees for that they had better get thurs house inspected...

Is it true that once they are exposed to light they die?

I started splitting up some wood i had collected this spring and there were a few logs that had a bunch of termites in them.

if you split the wood, get rid of the infested section and keep that aside is the rest of the wood ok to add to my stack and season for burning?

Also who sprays insecticides on their wood pile? If you spray it now would it be safe to burn in November?

We have to have our yard treated because they are horrible in our neighborhood... We have had a few issues in the house but no major... I told my friend that we cut the trees for that they had better get thurs house inspected...

keep your peepers peeled for them suckers .... you just built that garage and wouldn't wanna have to do it again, and certainly don't want that house of yours getting put on their menu!

Is it true that once they are exposed to light they die?

I started splitting up some wood i had collected this spring and there were a few logs that had a bunch of termites in them.

if you split the wood, get rid of the infested section and keep that aside is the rest of the wood ok to add to my stack and season for burning?

Also who sprays insecticides on their wood pile? If you spray it now would it be safe to burn in November?

I spray my firewood whenever I see an infestation, like the above pics, may be once a year, may be three times. Use the same insecticide as we use on the farm pastures. Just read the labes. The ones we use say cattle can't graze it for 7 days and some say 14 days. In my opinion if a calf that I am going to eat can graze pasture that has been sprayed in a week or 2, you can surely burn the stuff after a few months.

I.have one beam along my living room with minor termite damage before the treatment hopefully killed them all. Had my house sprayed last year. I'm lucky i dont have more damage than i do, considering all the firewood sitting around the lawn since 1946. I know it used to be treated with that clordane stuff that worked so good they had to ban it. I went through a few year span pretty much forgetting about termites, and that's when my problem started. It's definately good to inspect your frame and all wood. You can stop a problem before it turns into a nightmare.

I Feel Your Pain

I recall reading years ago that termites do more damage to property each year than all of the tornadoes and hurricanes put together.

Thus you are not alone by any means. It's also interesting that south of the Nebraska-Kansas border, the termite is an enormous pest, although a few million or so attack Nebraska property also. I used to live in central Illinois, and they were a huge problem there as well. Houses could not even be sold without a formal termite inspection.

I've also been amazed at how they can infest entire neighborhoods by building long tunnels from one house to the next, spreading like a plague. When all of us are dead, the termite will probably be alive.

after a year like this one for tornado's they must really be bad...:rock:
+1. The termite will start working on any piece of dead wood that is in contact with the ground for any length of time. Storm destroyed houses are a natural feast for it. Many studs and beams were literally driven right into the ground by the twisters this past spring.

We buried some slabwood last year with a snowplow blade. Six months later I dug some up and most of it was already infested with termites. I incinerated all of it.

I'm still amazed by the incredible length that termite tunnels can reach. They can also work their way right up the sides of a house inside these tunnels. If you lean a stud against a house with one end on the ground, the termites can hollow it right out.

Apparently you don't have fire ants. I would be happy to bring you some. :)

Latest posts

Back