Initial wait period

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGoodwin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a contact that has a series of redwoods (some 4-5' in diameter) that were healthy but lost in the recent fires in Big Sur, CA. They are on the ground and they have reached out to some local outfit to have them milled. Apparently, they were told they had to sit for a few years. I don't have any idea as to what method they use for milling, but I see two big draw backs to waiting:

1) wood is in contact with ground which is an inherent rot risk
2) as the ends dry will create cracking that may not otherwise be there

I'm happy that they are trying to salvage such a unique tree, but I only see risk in waiting. Dont think you would drop enough moisture to reduce the weight from a handling perspective. Any thoughts or inputs are appreciated.

Howdy,
Strange story. Redwoods are different, and I wouldn't worry about either one of your concerns. No reason they couldn't be milled right away. What I find strange is that redwoods of that size don't give in to fire very easily. Even the green needles can get burned and it still has a good chance of surviving. I would find out the where's and why's before you get involved with milling. I'm not quite sure what you meant by a "series" but, it doesn't take many trees that size before your 6 figures worth of lumber.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't the fire the directly killed them. The fire cooked all the vegetation and then a heavy storm cycle came through resulting in flash flooding. The trees are located in fairly steep terrain and think the soil just gave out. I am purely in an advisory roll. I almost went down last year to mill the largest but that fell through. Thanks again.

Back