Injured/arthritic thumbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hickorynash

Reaction score
The bad news is that my left thumb joint is bone on bone with no cushion in between. Still would like to operate a saw safely and without too much pain. Rather than reinvent the wheel I'm wondering what adaptations folks have made to hold the saw without using their left thumb. Was thinking of a molded socket I could make a monkey fist in to lock my hand to the grip. Anyone made or seen any adaptive grip modifications?

I have been using a Futuro brand wrist brace for several years. It seemed the best available locally, and while not perfect it has helped a lot.
1618604476368.png

Can you keep your thumb over the handle and just grip with 4 fingers? I often do that.

My other thumb I keep by the air filter cover.

Hi there , a friend of mine has arthritic hands both sides , last time I seen him he said he’d been using a tallow based cream I think and he said movement had improved, I’ll get onto him and find out it’s name and get back to you . In saying that , I don’t know how well it may work as you say cushion is gone in the joint , I v e had back problems and was recommended to eat a Avocados regulary as they are fatty rich and apparently they help to plump up the discs in my back. As for a mod to keep it from kicking out of your hand , the only thing I could think of would be to find something akin to a knuckle duster and mount to handle . It may hurt if it kicked up but at least it would stay in your hand. Regards - beardy .

The bad news is that my left thumb joint is bone on bone with no cushion in between. Still would like to operate a saw safely and without too much pain. Rather than reinvent the wheel I'm wondering what adaptations folks have made to hold the saw without using their left thumb. Was thinking of a molded socket I could make a monkey fist in to lock my hand to the grip. Anyone made or seen any adaptive grip modifications?
Hi Hickory, in New Zealand we're required to wear chainsaw mitts on rear handled saws. These are leather handguards that are loosely attached to the front handle that your left hand sits in. They're designed to keep your hand wrapped around the handle and engage the chain brake if kick back occurs. A side benefit of them is the weight of the saw will be supported by the top of your hand if reasonably well fitted, so lessens pressure on your fingers and thumb. I personally prefer using mitts, and will do so even while working up the tree (except top handles!). I would send you a photo if: 1. I had one handy and 2. If i was technically competent enough to do so; I'm sure a google search should drag something up. Hope this helps.

Can you keep your thumb over the handle and just grip with 4 fingers? I often do that.

My other thumb I keep by the air filter cover.
I do the same thing, but it’s not the safest, especially for some one that doesn’t use a saw day in and day out like you and I. When I was a kid I was taught to keep my thumb wrapped around the handle in case of a kick back. If your thumb is wrapped and it kicks back, your hand just moves back with it. I was cutting Poplar saw logs into fire wood, because that’s what the customer wanted. I was using a Super 1050 with a 36” bar. My hands were so numb from hours of use, I was resting my palm on the top handle, wiggling my fingers, the tip of the bar hit a log on the other side and shot back out from under my hand and caught 3 fingers on my left hand. 50 years later those fingers still get cold and don’t work right when it starts to get cold in the fall.

All that said, I still hold my saws like you.

I do the same thing, but it’s not the safest, especially for some one that doesn’t use a saw day in and day out like you and I. When I was a kid I was taught to keep my thumb wrapped around the handle in case of a kick back. If your thumb is wrapped and it kicks back, your hand just moves back with it. I was cutting Poplar saw logs into fire wood, because that’s what the customer wanted. I was using a Super 1050 with a 36” bar. My hands were so numb from hours of use, I was resting my palm on the top handle, wiggling my fingers, the tip of the bar hit a log on the other side and shot back out from under my hand and caught 3 fingers on my left hand. 50 years later those fingers still get cold and don’t work right when it starts to get cold in the fall.

All that said, I still hold my saws like you.
Most accidents happen when we're tired and let our guard down, we've all been there.

Back