Inside the 372XP X-TORQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys don't like my striped shirts, so here's a nasty filthy Baileys t-shirt for ya:) BTW, the saw is tuned super rich to break in that piston.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSzQv9UWr_c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSzQv9UWr_c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
So do you have a plan with this saw? Or is this a R&D project? (Hope fully not customer funded!) Interesting stuff. Thank you for posting these!

Yes sir it is! by me! :hmm3grin2orange:

I cant wait to get it in wood. Brad do you plan on cutting anything with it? I cant wait:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2: BTW Check your PM's

Im going to make a full write up on it after next weekend, assuming you all would like that.

I'm very impressed with how you outlined the inside of that cylinder with the red pen. Would you care to share how you get your vertical lines so straight once you have your distanced measured? Are you using tape cut to the width you want to remove and then marking the outside of it once its stuck to the cylinder? Looks like for the horizontal lines, you could just push the ring up with the piston and use it for a guide. I'm trying to learn what i can so my next job will be a little easier. Thanks

Yes sir it is! by me! :hmm3grin2orange:

I cant wait to get it in wood. Brad do you plan on cutting anything with it? I cant wait:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2: BTW Check your PM's

Im going to make a full write up on it after next weekend, assuming you all would like that.
Yes, I'll be putting some fuel through it tomorrow. I want to break-in that piston a little before you put it to work.

Brad, I know you're in the garage which makes it a lot louder but that thing sounds like it would eat small children given the chance. :chainsawguy:

Ooooooo....that's got a mean,lopey idle.Schweet.:D
The idle is awesome on this thing!

I'm very impressed with how you outlined the inside of that cylinder with the red pen. Would you care to share how you get your vertical lines so straight once you have your distanced measured? Are you using tape cut to the width you want to remove and then marking the outside of it once its stuck to the cylinder? Looks like for the horizontal lines, you could just push the ring up with the piston and use it for a guide. I'm trying to learn what i can so my next job will be a little easier. Thanks
I locate the skirt edges and locator pins on the piston. I then put marks in the cylinder where they're located. For the vertical lines I use the part of my dial caliper that sticks out the end. On most cylinders, you can set the end of the caliper on the bottom of the cylinder and it will set square. If not, there are usually enough vertical witness marks in the jug to get it straight. For the horizontal lines, I use a ring as you suggested. I no longer use any tape at all.

Sounds good. My piston had similar wear marks when new. After about 18 tanks when it came apart the last time, everything had smoothed out. Throttle response also improves greatly.
Fantastic saws.

Hey Brad, are the red marks u made on the cylinder going to be how wide u will make the port???? Or do you just use the as a guide so u don't go out too far??? Second do u hone the cylinder after u have ported it to clean the edges?

Hey Brad, are the red marks u made on the cylinder going to be how wide u will make the port???? Or do you just use the as a guide so u don't go out too far??? Second do u hone the cylinder after u have ported it to clean the edges?

The marks on the exhaust were the actual port width. On the intake that was the skirt limit. I wasn't able to widen it at all on one side.

So you can gring down only one side, and don't have to take an equal amount off both sides of the ports? i did'nt know that. but I'm glad I do now. ;)

I like that saw alot. Can't wait to see her in action.

So you can gring down only one side, and don't have to take an equal amount off both sides of the ports? i did'nt know that. but I'm glad I do now. ;)

I like that saw alot. Can't wait to see her in action.

The intake wasn't perfectly centered on the piston. Intake width is intake width. It's not like making the transfers even.

Awesome thread, Brad. Can't wait to get home in the morning from work and be able to watch that video! (Videos are blocked on the computers here in the hospital)

What are the actual figures of power gain with these mods? Physically measurable in terms of HP? Or more a "seat of the pants" and throttle response gain?

CRAP! I was looking forward to 1 more 372Classic. Now I want the new one, too... and a 576.

Back