Inside the 372XP X-TORQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bad ,,,

To put it mildly, I'm not a happy camper. In this line of work, it's bound to catch up to you sooner or later. I just blew up my first customers saw:( Yup, you read that right. I put nearly a tank of fuel through the saw, and it ran perfectly. But I thought there was more in it, brought it home, gave it a few degrees if ignition timing advance, and was tuning it. It was at WOT and IT happened! The bottom ring snagged on the bottom of the exhaust port, and busted out the crown of the piston. I immediately yanked it apart. To my amazement, the cylinder is fine.

Here's what caused it. As a general rule of thumb, you never mess with the bottom of the exhaust port. In this case, the port bottom was too flat for as wide as I made it. On the bright side, there is litterally at least 1/4" of piston skirt below the exhaust port when the piston's at TDC. By the time I have the port shaped like I want it, the place where the ring snagged will be completely gone. I got soooo lucky. I'm also super thankful this happened to me now, and not after I shipped it.

I'm trying to make contact to order a new piston, and will pay for next day shipping. If need be, I'll next day air the saw to it's owner, who needs it for a job starting next Friday. I've already talked to him, and thank goodness, he was gracious about it.

You've got to figure something like this will happen sooner or later, but that doesn't make it any easier when it does. I'm sure I'll catch some flack from this for a select few, but I've always been open, and hopefully someone besides me will learn from it. I'm not here to hide anything, so you get to see the good and the bad.

Here are the pics. I'm currently uploading the vid of the saw cutting Oak.

1114290341_R4S5n-M.jpg

1114290242_FurMs-M.jpg

1114290425_mTtvs-M.jpg

1114290510_PjGga-M.jpg

1114290608_7UfPZ-M.jpg

To put it mildly, I'm not a happy camper. In this line of work, it's bound to catch up to you sooner or later. I just blew up my first customers saw:( Yup, you read that right. I put nearly a tank of fuel through the saw, and it ran perfectly. But I thought there was more in it, brought it home, gave it a few degrees if ignition timing advance, and was tuning it. It was at WOT and IT happened! The bottom ring snagged on the bottom of the exhaust port, and busted out the crown of the piston. I immediately yanked it apart. To my amazement, the cylinder is fine.

Here's what caused it. As a general rule of thumb, you never mess with the bottom of the exhaust port. In this case, the port bottom was too flat for as wide as I made it. On the bright side, there is litterally at least 1/4" of piston skirt below the exhaust port when the piston's at TDC. By the time I have the port shaped like I want it, the place where the ring snagged will be completely gone. I got soooo lucky. I'm also super thankful this happened to me now, and not after I shipped it.

I'm trying to make contact to order a new piston, and will pay for next day shipping. If need be, I'll next day air the saw to it's owner, who needs it for a job starting next Friday. I've already talked to him, and thank goodness, he was gracious about it.

You've got to figure something like this will happen sooner or later, but that doesn't make it any easier when it does. I'm sure I'll catch some flack from this for a select few, but I've always been open, and hopefully someone besides me will learn from it. I'm not here to hide anything, so you get to see the good and the bad.

Here are the pics. I'm currently uploading the vid of the saw cutting Oak.

There are two kinds of engine builders Brad....Those that have blown engines, and those that will blow engines...just part of the game.

There are two kinds of engine builders Brad....Those that have blown engines, and those that will blow engines...just part of the game.

I realize that, but that doesn't make it any easier. Then you add to the fact that I'm sharing my work, and it doesn't make for a fun day! This is the very first customers saw I've blow up. I did go through a couple topends on one of my personal saws before I got it right. But it's not such a big deal when it's your own saw.

And now for the good news. The saw was holding 11,500 in the cut, with the bar buried in hard Pin Oak.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eiQLdfFSl20?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eiQLdfFSl20?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I realize that, but that doesn't make it any easier. Then you add to the fact that I'm sharing my work, and it doesn't make for a fun day! This is the very first customers saw I've blow up. I did go through a couple topends on one of my personal saws before I got it right. But it's not such a big deal when it's your own saw.

You lucked out big time!! It blew up on the dyno instead of at the track...;)

As long as the man gets a good work saw it's all good...

As we say in the tree biz, looks like it is going to be a not for profit job. Happens, but insurance usually covers it.

Latest posts

Back