Inside the MS462C - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mainly by the spark plug, looking for a tan color

me too, that's why i'm testing it

I don't think your missing anything there
Yeppers ... tan is da man ! I even go as far as to kill it wide-open ... plug chop ... one quick question kind sir ... that “saw vise” I see ya using in your vids ... is that a one-0ff or commercial unit ? I’d like to get my “paws” on one of those if available- if not I’ll fabricate one - tube in a tube with a ball-socket s/u ... thanks in advance

I couldn't help myself. I had a 3/4 wrap handle and dual dawgs to throw on this saw, then I ended up making a couple short videos. Yes, the wood is soft. I have two pieces of wood here at the house...this piece and the one I did the first video in. That's it. Take it for what it is. You'll have to use your ears to listed to how the saw is running. I'm very pleased with it at this point.

It sounds/cuts well but that’s definitely “Ohio hardwood” there ! Lol ... like to see in hard maple or better yet red-oak ... maybe check local Craigslist and scoop up free ... I’m using ears as instructed - only critique is that it should be hitting the limiter , cracking high idle immediately ... seems like a split-second more than what it should be especially on THAT Model saw ... maybe we can see spark-plug after you make some cuts ? This will clear up any misconceptions for sure ...

Compression is coming up nicely, nearly up to 175 PSI. Keep in mind that the squish was only tightened .007"-.008".
70-L.jpg

For those of you wanting to see the spark plug, keep in mind that you have to look at the base of the porcelain, requiring a magnifying glass or macro photography. For a truly accurate reading, a new plug must be used, the engine run and shot off at WOT, then the metal part of the plug cut away so that you can clearly see the very top of the porcelain. Even what I'm showing you here is not what you really need to see. You can't just pull the plug and look at the end of it as so many think and practice.
71-L.jpg

72-L.jpg

This is NOT what you're reading.
73-L.jpg

74-L.jpg

75-L.jpg

Compression is coming up nicely, nearly up to 175 PSI. Keep in mind that the squish was only tightened .007"-.008".

For those of you wanting to see the spark plug, keep in mind that you have to look at the base of the porcelain, requiring a magnifying glass or macro photography. For a truly accurate reading, a new plug must be used, the engine run and shot off at WOT, then the metal part of the plug cut away so that you can clearly see the very top of the porcelain. Even what I'm showing you here is not what you really need to see. You can't just pull the plug and look at the end of it as so many think and practice. The first 2 statements I’m in agreement with ... the last 2 I respectfully disagree

I tried everything before gutting the stratos.

From what I read, which might not be the full story, you started that with numbers you liked for another saw, rather than working your way progressively towards better numbers, is that right?

After that it looked like one more change to the transfers and exhaust, removing the divider in the carb (which made things worse), and changing the timing before hogging out the intake.

My point is that gutting the strato was the only thing that worked after you had ported to a set of untested numbers (again, unless a whole lot of details were left out of the thread), which is not the same as working your way towards a set of numbers, and finding gains beyond that.

I use 15-40 at 5 quarts
To one part STP
Been using it for years
Have 6 gallons on hand !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep ... just looked at the calendar and I haven’t farted in 3 weeks !

I couldn't help myself. I had a 3/4 wrap handle and dual dawgs to throw on this saw, then I ended up making a couple short videos. Yes, the wood is soft. I have two pieces of wood here at the house...this piece and the one I did the first video in. That's it. Take it for what it is. You'll have to use your ears to listed to how the saw is running. I'm very pleased with it at this point.

Very nice, Brad. Taking "462c porting Pre-orders" yet?:baba::baba::baba:

462c. 0 to 100 kh/m in .3 sec ...stock ... seems to my ears this build / style ain’t quite as snappy ... maybe I’m wrong but then again maybe I’m rights!

They're only rubber bullets and bounce right off ;)

No bullets, just a question. They are much easier to dodge.

I know that there are plenty of sharks in the water, but I don't think that treating everything that you don't want to hear like a personal attack will improve the situation.

The bottom line is that you are taking a nifty stock saw and getting more power out of it. That's awesome, and it is fun to watch.

We both know that you will catch crap on here no matter what you do. My only issue is with your claim that your way of doing it is the best way of doing it, because I don't think that anyone could conclude that from what I have seen. I don't have any data to the contrary, but it does not appear that the supporting data are there either.

So again, from what I gather, on the 261, you basically started with something that worked on a different saw (441), got poor results, and the only way to recover from that was to hog out the intake, which led you to the conclusion that hogging out the intake is the best way to go.

My question is whether or not that is a reasonable assessment of the process. You are, obviously, welcome to your opinion...I am just trying to sort out how you got there.

No bullets, just a question. They are much easier to dodge.

I know that there are plenty of sharks in the water, but I don't think that treating everything that you don't want to hear like a personal attack will improve the situation.

The bottom line is that you are taking a nifty stock saw and getting more power out of it. That's awesome, and it is fun to watch.

We both know that you will catch crap on here no matter what you do. My only issue is with your claim that your way of doing it is the best way of doing it, because I don't think that anyone could conclude that from what I have seen. I don't have any data to the contrary, but it does not appear that the supporting data are there either.

So again, from what I gather, on the 261, you basically started with something that worked on a different saw (441), got poor results, and the only way to recover from that was to hog out the intake, which led you to the conclusion that hogging out the intake is the best way to go.

My question is whether or not that is a reasonable assessment of the process. You are, obviously, welcome to your opinion...I am just trying to sort out how you got there.
I agree ... the saw is most definitely making more powa ! Which is a Good thing ... it’s just that most are in agreement that “gutting” the stratos isn’t the best way to achieve said results ... This is not to say that on other models 241, 261 etc that the gains aren’t there using this mod however it flys in the face of conventional wisdom

Latest posts

Back