Inside the Stihl MS500i - SNELLERIZED Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a guy with a ported and stock 7900, might be hard to track him do though.;) Forgot a stock 390 too.

So far the saw sound better each time you do something:rock: Stock the saw sounds pretty lame if you ask me, I'm sure it runs fine, just seems to have slow acceleration stock, or at least that's how it sounds. The 462 on the other hand is real snappy.
Your 390 isn't stock. Hopefully it doesn't run like stock! ;)

With the air cooled husky older bikes I played with the exhaust ports. I found out by raising them and arching them to the sides worked. On the 250cc I would raise the exhaust port in the middle about 1/8” and arc it to the sides and keep it raised 1/16”.
Open it wider and polish the port and make it bigger towards the pipe opening. Then I widened the intake port and lower it. I started out on porting the first bike just a tad to see the improvement. With each bike I went a tad more in porting. Bu my fourth bike I had it down.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of the fact that Stihl spends millions on R&D before settling on a new design, and then even more to take it to production.
Sure, more power is possible on most any production saw, but at the cost of fuel economy, durability, and increased emissions.
But then again, people jump out of perfectly good airplanes too....lol

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of the fact that Stihl spends millions on R&D before settling on a new design, and then take it to production.
Sure, more power is possible on most any production saw, but at the cost of fuel economy, durability, and increased emissions.

:omg:o_O:rolleyes::crazy2::dumb::angry::confused:

:havingarest:

So far the saw sound better each time you do something:rock: Stock the saw sounds pretty lame if you ask me, I'm sure it runs fine, just seems to have slow acceleration stock, or at least that's how it sounds. The 462 on the other hand is real snappy.
I'm in the same boat having not run a 500 but get the EXACT same impression, its a bit dissapointing in 'stock' form compared to say the 462 which is great off the shelf. Interesting to see how this saw turns out after mods, what its limitations are and what it responds well too. I'm sure it has potential to run real hard. I like the shape/style of the 500, it looks 'fast'. Thanks for sharing Brad, while your not taking port work, I get the impression you could'nt resist with this one.

You have any concerns about the injection system limiting out?

According to a Stihl mechanic on the other side, the injection is able to push a lot of fuel into the engine. That shouldn`t be a limiting factor.

Programmable ECU?

Yes, see the special version used on the Waldarbeiter-Meisterschaften 2018 in Lillehammer/Norway. There was a german youtube video about it.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of the fact that Stihl spends millions on R&D before settling on a new design, and then take it to production.
A manufacture rarely ever takes equipment near their max performance. They're limited by regulation and much more concerned about the bottom dollar. Look at a corvette Z06. They're an amazing car from the factory, but have TONS left on the table.

That begs the question isn't the 500i a saw in a class of it's own?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My distributor can’t even give us a guess when we might get a snif at one.

I did the asked the thing when I visited the local Stihl shop on Tuesday, and received the same response. I even offered to deliver test logs to cut donuts with and that didn't help. Looking forward to a contest between a stock 500i and the 440/460 Hybrid Chainsaw Jim is building for me. No way I need another saw, but the 500i might be too much too resist.

According to a Stihl mechanic on the other side, the injection is able to push a lot of fuel into the engine. That shouldn`t be a limiting factor.

Yes, see the special version used on the Waldarbeiter-Meisterschaften 2018 in Lillehammer/Norway. There was a german youtube video about it.

I really enjoy my old saws but damn that is really cool

I didn't understand a word spoken, but it doesn't really matter, I still want one.

Back