Inside the Stihl MS500i - SNELLERIZED Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice saw and nice work, but why isn't that Mac-T hardhat I sent you a few years ago on your head?

Just giving you a hard time- nice saw, good of you to pitch in.

-Sam.

Did you advance the timing or is it fixed and can’t touch it?

This saw is $1,700 usd? Wow can’t touch this,

Stihl has made a racing version of the MS 500i for the Waldarbeiter Meisterschaften last year. That version also got a different software for the control unit. That means the control unit is updateable. They changed the control unit to sent operating data to a tablet. They talk about it in the video.

I wonder if the timing is fixed we’re we set it or does it advance electronically?
With the timing advancing electronically it’s easier to start.

If not since there playing with fuel injection why not have the timing electronically advance. The next problem will be heat sooner or later? Will we see a water cooled chain saw in the future? I predict we will. The more saws that go high tech will run hotter, the heat has to go somewhere. With no way to keep it cooler longevity could be a problem. I don’t see them pushing the envelope any farther.

I don’t see them pushing the envelope any farther.

Grow or die. Saws seem pretty low tech to me. Lots and lots of improvement to be made. Easier starting, lighter weight, more power, less maintenance, auto-choke, etc. With today's improvement in batteries (more power, smaller space, lighter in weight), how about a battery assist starter. I'd like to see a gear selector, torque vs horsepower, or pulling power vs. chain speed.

I wonder if the timing is fixed we’re we set it or does it advance electronically?
With the timing advancing electronically it’s easier to start.

If not since there playing with fuel injection why not have the timing electronically advance. The next problem will be heat sooner or later? Will we see a water cooled chain saw in the future? I predict we will. The more saws that go high tech will run hotter, the heat has to go somewhere. With no way to keep it cooler longevity could be a problem. I don’t see them pushing the envelope any farther.
Water cooling? No! Most saws already have some advance built into the electronic coils. Electric start, been done, faild. Weight is number one, next is simplicity. The next real move will be to electric saws with high capacity capacitors instead of traditional batteries. Internal combustion engines as we know it are at the end of their lifespan. Some of the stuff you guys say.[emoji23][emoji111]

@blsnelling or anyone else who happens to have one, would you mind giving me a brief update on your thoughts on the 500i? I'm all but resolved to get one, but was wondering what those of you who have had the saw for a bit and put it through the paces over the summer have to say now that you all have had the opportunity to run them a bit. Any flaws or grievances crop up, or changes from initial opinions and impressions?

Back