Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To compensate, I believe that the AT system adds more fuel
But how does it do that at idle? I thought the mixture control was effectively the H screw. Controlling idle speed may not mean controlling idle mixture. This is what I've been trying to figure out - having never seen one is a bit of an impediment!

This appears to be the relevant patent description: http://www.google.com/patents/US20100011597

Really tough to read, especially since I don't have time! It appears that they can adjust both mixtures - effectively they have a shut off valve in front of the entire jet system. Therefore they can shut off the fuel completely or vary the on time to "throttle" the mixture, regardless of if it is the idle or main circuit.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US20100011597A1/US20100011597A1-20100121-D00007.png
eF'ing lovely.
We've just diagrammed the thought process of any 70% competent mechanic
and patented it.
I may still have a Echo owners manual from mid 1970's somewhere around here that has roughly the same troubleshooting flowchart thing in it.
They just expected you to hold the screwdriver and listen for yourself
instead of them having an ECU do it.

When a CD of a baseline software reset and a USB cord is tossed into the box with each new saw, I'll somewhat cut down on my kicking and screaming about being dragged into the modern world.
Alas, Somehow I suspect what we're more likely to see is checking of the already serialized parts, tied to a specific saw with dealer/retailer activation at point of sale for new units.
you guys that grumble about not liking some aspect of your buying experience now
should love it when you have to buy an anti-virus ware add on to scan your saw
because there's become a real chance of it having one after the online activation process.
edit: Or the newest firmware update.

or the glib
"How are you today did you find everything you needed at whistlebritches saw emporium?"
(checkout and ringup proceeds)
"...and with that factory approved fuel mix**
(** fine print dept: extended warranty does not cover software upgrades or loaner saw)
" a spare chain and file-o-wonderguide , your total is #### would you like
to buy a Geek Squad anti-virus protection plan?,
" If you buy it at the time of saw purchase today, your coverage will also include up to two, in store only, firmware updates per year for 3 years"

or else a huge, nonnegotiable, per factory to dealer agreement, financial penalty is included in the purchase price ,should you decline the activation.

You poor guys have NO idea how horribly and irreverently verbose I can be, when I'm not having to hunt-n-peck into a keyboard.

second thought edit: Don't think that the people who torch logging equipment
won't look at dropping a virus into web connected equipment.
Storage capacity of the ECU is probably the main thing that will slow them down.
But then the same mentality that attacked this site might not object to
simply just wiping or corrupting your firmware.

What is the other saw they make with crank stuffers and AT - the 550? How big is the venturi in the carb for that saw compared to the 562?

[QUOTE="LegDeLimber, post: 5070195, member:

You poor guys have NO idea how horribly and irreverently verbose I can be, when I'm not having to hunt-n-peck into a keyboard.[/QUOTE]

I had to look verbose up.:confused: Good word.:clap:

I've never measured either of them.
It just seems like AT works fine on other saws - even other saws all tricked out with stuffers and stuff (?). They have control over mixture, so how did they bollocks this one up so bad? Given the swiss cheese throttle plate it seems like something basic.

I've been curious how they worked and the patents show that fairly well. But someone else got paid to troubleshoot/develop this system, and I don't really have the information needed to help much. Besides which I'm never going to pony up for a saw in this class anyway, so I think I will stop worrying about it - I've already got plenty of stuff to fix and troubleshoot!

From what I've seen you are on the right track.

Just adding to what you posted......

"They have clearly been drilling holes in the throttle plate".....

And notches. The extra air that has been introduced must raise idle speed.......there ain't no way around that. To compensate, I believe that the AT system adds more fuel. That added fuel pools behind the throttle plate. Crack the throttle.......that fuel dumps into the case and causes a bog.

They can add all the bandaids they want.......but this issue is common, and tough to fix.

Yes you are correct sir somewhat, the added air does raise the idle speed however the AT system has been restricted to lessen the fuel flow at X rpm, and maintain a lower rpm via the fuel valve, within the firmware revisions.

Likewise the same experience they had on Gen1 with the 576. Hence the added idle screw on the latter 576's, raising the idle rpm by a couple hundred rpm, eliminating the puddling effect.

My take on it, the TPS is not accurate even after being reset.

This is not a revelation.

The initial updates for the 44 were for idling stability.

Good input Hamish.

I've begun shimming the TPS magnets out toward the pickup a little. It seems to help......

Back