Inside Wood Gasification boiler w/1000 gallons thermal storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like OWBs are pretty common here so I thought I would share my install of a Attack DPXL-45 downdraft gasification boiler + 1000 gallons thermal storage installed in an outbuilding about 90ft from the main dwelling. Currently heating a 3400sqft house and the 1152 sqft building the boiler/storage resides in. There is no heat emitters in the boiler building, Heat from the boiler, piping and storage currently has the building at just under 50F with about 0F outside right now.
I've tried to detail the system with a series of youtube videos that I will share here. Part one covers the boiler itself and near boiler plumbing: https://youtu.be/Su9x8uAiYlo boiler install overview.jpeg

Awesome job!

How new is your home? How energy efficient? How often does your furnace run? Thanks!

Awesome job!

How new is your home? How energy efficient? How often does your furnace run? Thanks!

Built in 1982 but good insulation for that era. Lots of spray foam and 2x6 walls except for garage. Lots of 1982 windows that aren't as good as they were when new.
System has only been online for a few weeks and just getting into some 0F weather now so no real run time info yet. I do still run a wood stove set in front of a full stone fireplace and brick exterior chimney that really sucks the heat out of the south end of the house unless that stove is running. That said I only run the stove in the evening.
The real eye opener is even though I've insulated the storage tanks to the hilt, that 24 x48' boiler shed still stays at high 40's on a single digit day with north winds. I'm not complaining though, go out there after work, watch the news, load boiler and start my batch burn in comfort!

Looks great! I'm going back to watch your videos now.

I'm curious. Did you consider having the heat storage in your basement?

I've dreamt of a system with hot water storage in the basement hooked to antique cast iron radiators in the living space gravity fed.

Gravity feed? Not sure what your talking about? Ohh, but very curious.

It is very basic hydronics.

Google 'gravity feed hydronic systems'.

I have a few books by Dan Holohan.

He has a lot of interesting views on heating systems. A very good read. Google him.

Save it for your, dream application.

I'm sensing that you are a ****.

There is no need for such behaviour in this fine fellows thread on his awesome heating system. It is very rude.

I grew up living in a house heated with a coal, then oil fired gravity system.

I miss the antique cast iron radiators.

And my grandparents.

Between you and I, I'm thinking the purpose for this system is for results, not feel good, reasons. If I'm wrong the OP will set me straight. Not at all worried if you feel offended.

Between you and I, I'm thinking the purpose for this system is for results, not feel good, reasons. If I'm wrong the OP will set me straight. Not at all worried if you feel offended.

I'm not offended at all.

You didn't even know what a hydronic heating system was, so your uneducated opinion of my 'dream system' carries little weight.

I live in a much milder climate that what I grew up with.

Heating needs are about half and we get by fine with a free standing Jotul F600CB. A completely passive system.

I'm watching the OP's videos now as I have dual monitors.

His videos are great and it shows that he has really done him homework.

I subscribed.

Latest posts

Back