Interested in Stock saw competitions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Perhaps I am in the wrong area of the forum, however it seems likely I will find the info I need here. I am increasingly interested in getting started in Stock Saw events. It has interested me for a number of years, and Im not ready to make the investment into a true "hot saw".
I live in CT and am willing to travel around New England as needed. I have never attempted said sporting event before. As such I will be at the Freyberg fair for research on this event.

Aside from watching and the talking to competitors after the fact, does anyone have any pointers or Info, or resources on getting started, it seems the registration forms (limited to what I can find) that I have found for local fairs are very vague.

I would bet you bring your own saw, but what size to bring, Is stock truely stock, or should I plan on some mods?
It seems sometimes you start the saw ahead of time and pick it up from Idle yet others seem to start the saw after the starting point.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated,

Jeremy

I raced at 2 events this year that had "work saw" class. There were 2 classes, 0-60cc and 0-100cc. No tuned pipes, no 2 piece heads, stock carbs with working chokes, and stock flywheels. Gasoline only. Woods ports were allowed, and there were no chain rules. I like those classes, lots of fun and keeps the cost down.

Stock saw rules vary from no modificatins to a full race saw without a pipe. The rules vary from show to show. Some shows provide the saws, those are good ones to start at. You have the right idea, go to the shows and ask questions.

Stock Saw Competitions

I've raced at two events this year. They both had 0-2 cube class, 2-3 cube, 3-4 cube, 4-5 cube and unlimited
The best advice would be to find a saw with the largest cc engine for the class you want to run.
Be sure to have a sharp chain!

My advice is to go find some local shows and start racing with whatever saw you got. Experience is the best training and research. All of the rest will come in time. You might have knack for it or you might fall on your face but at least you will find out before you start burning money on another hobby.

Race chain is where your biggest jumps will happen, and most stock saw shows will allow race chains, some don't. Either buy a race chain from a chain builder or start researching data and give a shot at building your own. There is quite a bit of how too if you do a search on "race chain".

All shows have different stock saw rules, and you can count on people who have been racing these shows and running their saws and chains right at the ragged edge of legal, and maybe a few folks fudging the rules too. Some shows are laxed on rules, while others are complete sticklers. I have even heard of saws being DQ'd because the judge thought the saw didn't "sound" right. Most shows also class the saws by size. It could be something like 3,4,5,6 cube, or 50cc, 60cc, 72cc, 80cc. Again, this depends on the show but obviously you want enough saw for the class you enter, virtually every show will have a 72cc (4.5cube) or 82cc (5 cube) class if any. A good 372 or a 440 is an excellent starter race saw will get you into all of these races and give you a fighting chance.

Also, if the class is called "stock appearing", you will probably get your @$$ handed to you so be ready for it. My stock appearing saws are full blown race saws in sheeps clothing (hollow mufflers and plastic), they could no more make a days work than a work saw could win.

I prefer the flat out hotsaw and bikesaw "run what ya brung" classes vs the stock saw classes, the rules are much more clear when there aren't any and it keeps everyone else honest. The only completely honest stock saw races I have ever been in had supplied saws.

Back