• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Interesting things I'm seeing doing this drivers job

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm seeing and hearing lots of interesting things doing this drivers job for people who can't drive. One is most people don't understand that when you are trying to get on to a highway via an on ramp yield means if you can't do it you STOP, you don't just barrel out in front of cars coming at you and nearly cause an accident and there was one two days ago in the other lane because of what I just said. The one day I was going slowly on the on ramp with my left blinker on but there were cars in both lanes so when I got to the end of the ramp I stopped and this young woman behind me was flailing her arms and saying this and that and I just looked in the rear view mirror and mouthed "calm down", I can't do anything since there are signs on the vehicle and I don't need any bad reports so I have to take it easy, and when she passed me on the left I just glared at her and she politely flipped me off, but I had to swallow it although I did follow her each time she changed lanes just to give her something to think about, staying safely away but each time she switched lanes so did I until she finally pulled off and I kept going straight. Those on ramps are always fun......

I am seeing people open doors with their shoulder, elbows, sometimes even pushing them open with their feet, some have tissues so they don't have to touch anything while others could care less and open them like nothing, some don't even have their masks on properly and some talk outloud about how they dislike having to wear them to themselves. This I see waiting in the lobbys while the patients are in the doctor's office, we aren't allowed to sit in the waiting rooms so I sit in the lobby if there is one or in the van.

Waiting in the lobby yesterday I struck up a conversation with a husband who was waiting for his wife, and he proceeded to tell me that the Freemasons are behind the whole Covid thing, that there is a statue of the antichrist in Brazil of the guy who he said was him and you'd never know it but he couldn't tell me who it is, that I should stock up on water and food and guns and ammo, and that it is written in stone that Trump will win the election. Oh, and also to take money out of gold if we have it and put it into silver, gold will be useless in the future he says. So that was his take on things, I listened and bid him well as he and his wife finally left.

The other thing and it is amazing the attitudes of these people with eye problems, you would think they would be bitter or depressed but it is the exact opposite, they are so kind and appreciative of everything, really an inspiration to me how wonderful their outlooks are, it makes my day as well as theirs getting out for awhile and listening to their stories, for some this is the only contact that they have for the day, so we have nice talks and they are so appreciative and so am I, I am learning a lot about people and life.

Watch those on ramps!!!:surprised3: :eek:

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Those on ramps work better if you use the pedal on the right to get up to speed before trying to merge. It's easier to slide in between 2 cars with your turn signal on if the car that you are getting in front of doesn't have to slow down much, it just has to coast for a bit to leave room for you to get in. If you are going the same speed as they are, then there is no "yielding", just merging.

svk

Saw Hoarder
I'm seeing and hearing lots of interesting things doing this drivers job
Anytime you deal with people you will run the gamut from full of zest for life to the far opposite.

Working within someone's home gives you the best idea of who that person really is. I have definitely seen some interesting things.

The other thing and it is amazing the attitudes of these people with eye problems, you would think they would be bitter or depressed but it is the exact opposite, they are so kind and appreciative of everything, really an inspiration to me how wonderful their outlooks are, it makes my day as well as theirs getting out for awhile and listening to their stories, for some this is the only contact that they have for the day, so we have nice talks and they are so appreciative and so am I, I am learning a lot about people and life.
Agree completely, some of the best and most positive people are that way because they lost something yet chose to not let it define them.

NIP Group
PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Those on ramps work better if you use the pedal on the right to get up to speed before trying to merge. It's easier to slide in between 2 cars with your turn signal on if the car that you are getting in front of doesn't have to slow down much, it just has to coast for a bit to leave room for you to get in. If you are going the same speed as they are, then there is no "yielding", just merging.
Yes that is what I usually do, but this time it was a short on ramp and I realized that the cars coming at me had little time to allow me a chance to cut in so I had to stop. And when I am the vehicle seeing someone wanting to cut in I anticipate it and slow down enough to let them in, sometimes flashing my lights to signal them but I realize that some don't even see that lol!

svk

Saw Hoarder
sometimes flashing my lights to signal them but I realize that some don't even see that lol!
I am amazed at how many people do not know how to use flashers/etc or understand what they mean.

Or the clown who drives in the passing lane at exactly the same speed as the guy in the right lane and more or less creates a rolling parking lot. Fortunately many states have outlawed this but it is rarely enforced.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
[QUOTE="svk, post: 7376780, member: 41967"

Or the clown who drives in the passing lane at exactly the same speed as the guy in the right lane and more or less creates a rolling parking lot. Fortunately many states have outlawed this but it is rarely enforced.
[/QUOTE]

This is basically why I couldn't pull out that day I talked about, there was nowhere for anyone to shift lanes and being a short on ramp I figured I'd just stop, if the person behind me wants to try to pull out into oncoming cars and cause an accident go for it, but I knew I had nowhere to go so I stopped, but some other people just have no patience, always in a big hurry.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
You want to find some bad drivers, come up to NE. Driving here is like suicide squad on steroids. I normally log about 36K miles a year and have just about seen it all. Worst drivers here are the “professional” peddle bikers. They borderline on bat sh!t crazy and don’t obey any rules.

svk

Saw Hoarder
You want to find some bad drivers, come up to NE. Driving here is like suicide squad on steroids. I normally log about 36K miles a year and have just about seen it all. Worst drivers here are the “professional” peddle bikers. They borderline on bat sh!t crazy and don’t obey any rules.
I’ve driven most of the US. Most insane drivers I’ve seen are Philly and NYC.

svk

Saw Hoarder
Check out Jersey!
Boston to DC is all dicey but NYC and philly take the cake.

When I worked out of state for a while I drove the moving truck from Tampa to Albany. I hit DC around rush hour and Philly around dark. Total madness. One I especially remember was a high dollar sedan came ripping by at 100 plus on the freeway near Philly. Ten minutes later I drive by him sideswiped on the side of the road with his flashers going. Didn’t feel sorry for him one bit.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Another thing I am seeing while driving, just had it happen again today, is people will come to a 4 way stop, I stop behind them, they look all ways, start to pull out, move ahead about a foot and STOP!! I swear I'm going to rear end someone one day because they start moving and so do I, why do they stop after they see it is clear to go?

Probably for the same reason people will brake while driving and there is nothing in front of them at all, clear sailing, clear view yet they hit the brakes, some even drive with it on all the time?!

Reactions: svk
PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I also see road signs that are mostly covered by tree branches, guess they just didn't have the money in the budget to trim trees so people can see the signs, and also MANY intersections with NO street signs at all! This covid must've sucked all the money out of the system lol!!

svk

Saw Hoarder
This covid must've sucked all the money out of the system lol!!
I always wonder who makes the road repair decisions in my hometown. Some roads have literally been crap since before I had a drivers license (I’m 41 now) and other roads have been redone 2-3 times in that time.

And some neighborhoods still have intersections with no stop signs on any of the streets. I think they call those “unrestricted” intersections. Crazy.

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
I always wonder who makes the road repair decisions in my hometown. Some roads have literally been crap since before I had a drivers license (I’m 41 now) and other roads have been redone 2-3 times in that time.

And some neighborhoods still have intersections with no stop signs on any of the streets. I think they call those “unrestricted” intersections. Crazy.
We have one intersection in Pullman, Washing ton in the college rental housing area. It is supposed to be a 4 way stop. Only marked as such on 3 of the entries. Been that way for over 20 years.