Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Internet advertisers stealing from tree service owners

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by cuttinupferalivin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. cuttinupferalivin

cuttinupferalivin ArboristSite Lurker

As a tree service owner operator, I am appalled at how places such as Home Advisor, 1-800 contractor, Prch.com, and other internet companies are taking jobs from potential customers then selling them back to the tree service owner...Home Advisor has gained a monopoly on the tree service market ...then there's places like Monster Tree that is seeking franchises to people who have more money than they know what to do with...
    Tree work is a occupation that is slowly learned and when operating a tree service, you should earn your wah into the field...it is life threatening work and these newbies that are cutting throats on estimates will get theirs...keep on using dull saws, cause you can't sharpen one, keep on hiring just anyone, and watch what happens to your company..readon I say this is because I'm witnessing it..

2. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

About the same in the snowplowing business.

3. cuttinupferalivin

I understand that theses job lead generation companies are hitting the entire realm of the small business world with their clout..its something that needs to be addressed.
    It opens doors for unscrupulous people to come in and rape the market..people like Monster Tree service

4. blades

I shut down the plowing business this season- just not worth fighting this type of stuff anymore. It was bad enough with tom ,****,or harry, low balling for beer money( or whatever) and running without insurance. A few years back I signed on to one these just to see what could be possible- mostly the ones I was sent were nightmare accounts - super intense service , poor to no pay types, and equipment that would need to be parked at location where it may or may not still be there 24 hours later, when checked, didn't need that kind of business either.

5. cuttinupferalivin

It's a total lack of disrespect and greed on their behalf. This world is going south quick, and the internet is paving the way for most of it to happen...theres good and bad in every equation though, and the good here is knowing that God is going to surely destroy the image of the beast once it gets to that certain point where He says, I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

nandoz likes this.
  6. cuttinupferalivin

I'm sorry to hear that you decided to shut it down..i feel that way sometimes, but I have to work somewhere..one of the reasons I'm commenting here...thinking of running a saw shop for the local tree cutters so I can somehow at least stay semibusy

7. blades

saw shop- actually full machine shop that I have here. Most of what I do is regrinding carbide saws, saw chains, chipper blades and the list goes on. Plus machining, machine repair, welding and such. Its been lean that last 8 years -things have picked up dramatically in last 9 months. The internet has had a decided affect on certain portions of the business like the plowing. I am not a cnc shop- all old school.

8. cuttinupferalivin

Well ,I have some carbide stump grinder teeth, some chipper knives, and a rack of chains that I can send you if you should slow down..can you mill c yl. bases

farmer steve likes this.
  9. blades

you have a conversation.

farmer steve likes this.