internet vs. local dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennett

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
O.K. guys . . . here's a question for you.

After reading this site for about a week, I have decided I want to purchase a Husqvarna 346xp. I do not make my living cutting trees (read: will not wear out the saw). My local dealer will sell the saw for $404.95 plus tax. I have found the saw on the internet for $331.21 plus shipping . . . a difference of $73.74. My dealer said if I bought the saw from someone else, he would work on it when I needed it but would not be happy about it and would charge me every penny he could when he had the chance.

My question is: For an occasional use saw, do I want to keep my dealer happy or save $73.74 on the initial purchase price?

All opinions and comments welcome.

Find a different dealer. This guy is obviously so small minded and morally bankrupt that he would probably screw you every chance he gets, no matter where you bought the saw. Sounds to me like situational ethics which don`t work over the long run. Either you are ethical, or you are not. If this dealer wants all his money upfront, by charging you full retail, what are his intentions? The money in saws is in doing a good volume of followup, non-warranty work. Only a shop with a good reputation normally succeeds at this, and a good shop manager understands that sometimes they have to take it on the chin to earn the rep. Just my opinion. Russ

where to buy

Over charging is something else. But consider this, the shop I'm at is no different then many others. When someone brings in equipment bought elsewhere and we are in the busy season, that elsewhere gets put at the end of a line of elsewhere's that we get to when we can. We take care of customers who bought from us first, they expect and deserve it. The elsewhere's usually expect it but they ain't gonna get it.

What's the shipping rate to Ga. and what's the tax rate in Ga.? Figure the full cost both ways and see if you can't find a dealer that will split the difference. Good will does count for something, and keeping money in the local economy is, within reason, good for the local economy.
Even though you may not wear out the saw, there will be parts that will need replaced and as an occasional user you may forget one time to refresh your fuel mix in a timely manner. Something to think about.

Exhaust all possibilities to buy locally before making a internet purchase.Service is very important and I'am in agreement with NevadaWalrus on customer priority.While not liking the "air" of your local dealers comments,at least he's being up-front about the situation.The cheapest buy on a saw may not be best,try to reach some "middle ground" with a local dealer.

Bennett, who is going to track the serial number, and date of purchase for warranty work? most saws today are set up and tracked by the dealers so as to keep track of the warranty period and work that has been done to the unit. The local shop is in place to service what they sell, and unlike a web page is just a short distance from you and more convenient, for that convenience a dealer has many fixed costs (I.E. building, electrical, water, desposial fees, etc.) that a web dealer does'nt. It is true local loyal customers do come first in a local shop!

bennett,

An interesting dilemna, but have one warranty problem and you may see your $73 evaporate if you have a problem getting it fixed. Being a newbie when I bought my first "real" saw I followed my dollar and bought my 288xp from a large reputable online logging supply house. When the saw burned up 4 months later, Husky said we ain't paying for it cause there is no paper work on file for the saw (thanks Bailey's). My local dealer went to the mat for me and got the rebuild paid for by Husky. I bought my 346xp and 3120xp from the dealer, even though it probably cost me a couple hundred extra. when I get a 357xp, I'll eat the $50 and buy it from my shop. I'm always at the front of the line with the loggers (no matter what kind of crap I bring in) and don't pay "extra" for stuff. Service is paramount when making a saw purchase. I would agree with joker and say find a different local dealer, the guy you talked to sounds like a jerk. My humble opinion. An awesome saw by the way!

If the local dealer has that kind of 'tude, than I'd buy from the internet or another dealer. There is no way I'd put up with this B.S.!!

In general, buying locally is worth a premium. That premium depends on your tolerance for downtime, your mechanical ability, your knowledge of the product, and your patience with shipping leadtime/delays and other associated online hassles.

For me that premium is around 10% but it's different for everyone.

I guess it would depend if the local dealer was ,Good People or not.How did you feel about the guy while you were talking to him ?I've never owned a new saw so haven't run into the warranty thing although if he owns a dealership to the brand of saw you own he's abliged to repair it.I've had my saws to 4 different shops before I found a guy I really Like, he is 125 miles one way from my house and thats ok, I'm not a pro user and hardly ever have them worked on more than once a year.I'f the guy treated you like dirt then use someone else . I would have Liked to use someone local, but we're out in the sticks and not possible. One dealer charged me over $100 for a chain and tune up.I'd never go back if he paid me. Thats my 2 cents.Good luck,
Rosco

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where does all the white go when the snow melts?????

Our local Stihl dealer is the same sort of moron - after one such incident I started buying all my saws off of the internet. There is no way I would support such a hostile, petty, mean-spirited sort of business owner. While my business or lack thereof will never make any difference in the bottom line at his store, I do make sure that I tell everyone to avoid his place like the plague.

In any case, the saws I have bought non-locally have been fine, and I have been able to get them serviced at other stores. Some people actually like your business, regardless of where your saw came from. Find those folks and deal with them. They are out there.

P.S. If this dealer had any brains, instead of threatening the potential buyer he should have offered to include additional value to the purchaser.

He could have easily closed this $73 gap by doing simple things like:
1. Assembling the saw and adjusting the carb for that buyers elevation. He could even offer to give it a final tweak after it's been broken in.
2. Indicate to the purchaser that he'll be given priority service for repairs and best effort to provide a loaner saw during any downtime.
3. Agree to let the buyer try out the saw before committing to the purchase.
4. 10% discount on future parts/service or maybe a $25 off coupon for a tuneup/cleaning during off season.
5. Throw in an extra loop of chain or offer the buyer 3 or 4 free chain sharpenings.

Originally posted by bennett
O.K. guys . . . here's a question for you.

After reading this site for about a week, I have decided I want to purchase a Husqvarna 346xp. I do not make my living cutting trees (read: will not wear out the saw). My local dealer will sell the saw for $404.95 plus tax. I have found the saw on the internet for $331.21 plus shipping . . . a difference of $73.74. My dealer said if I bought the saw from someone else, he would work on it when I needed it but would not be happy about it and would charge me every penny he could when he had the chance.

My question is: For an occasional use saw, do I want to keep my dealer happy or save $73.74 on the initial purchase price?

All opinions and comments welcome.

bennet,

Before reading the other responces I must admit that mail order buying of a chainsaw sounded pretty good ( I am new to the internet so buying here was not possible ). But now I wonder.
This guy sounds like a real jerk, how does he stay in business?
Shop around, most of the time dealers will meet you somewhere
in between.:blob2:

:confused: my stihl dealer here in Texas did same thing to me. I
bought a new 088 off internet. They only one in Texas by the what I am told. He said you didnt buy this saw here so I dont want to work on your saws any more. He went on to say you didnt even give me a chance to sell you 088. Which i did his price 1400.00 plus. I paid 850.00. I told him that, his store wasnt even remotely close to price of 850.00. In the past i have bought saws, parts etc, from his store. He told me to take my bussness else where. And told me what dealer to go to so I did. They are great to deal with no problems, thay dont care where i bought it, its warrenty work. That guy was a stihl dealer jerk too. I did report him to stihl. And did get aplogly from stihl.

I just tbought a 346xpw from Walker's, not really an internet purchase, but definitely not local. I consulted my local dealer to help in choosing a saw for my particular application, but wasn't satisfied with the dealer's approach... he was too interested in moving product on which he was overstocked, and not as interested in helping me to select the right saw. Walker's was helpful, knowledgable and courteous. They're also able to offer saws at a lower price due to the exchange rate. So, the decision was easy.

Local service has a value, and I'm a firm believer in spending my money at local businesses. But my local dealer didn't measure up in this case, and the more competive dealer prevailed.

In your case, I'd definitely avoid the dealer that essentially advised "buy elsewhere, and I'll make a point to scr** you at every opportunity I have." A good dealer would have stepped up to the competition, offering you honest advice, and promise of good service for his/her customers, even if they couldn't compete with the prices of a high-volume, low overhead internet supplier. Select a supplier based on the criteria which you'll value now, and in the future. Then, maintian your saw well to reduce your need to call on the dealer.

I've never owned a new saw either but have gone to the local dealers to get parts and for other equipment. I'll tell you what there all jerks around here! Stihl and Husky are big here and the dealers are worthless! I don't know how they do any business and they will never get mine again. When its time for a new saw I will buy off the internet from Walker's or another source. If you know saws well and how to work on them then the internet is the place to go for a new one. Whatever happened to treating the customer right?? Morons:angry:

I work in a Chrysler dealer. People come into the showroom all the time with our true cost on the car they want to buy. They beat us to death with "information off the internet" that our standard response has become to tell them to go buy the car off the internet. They soon find that NO-ONE will sell them the car for what they thought they should pay. The phone bill in a large car dealership can be ten grand a month! Do these people think the $50.00 over cost to sell them a car is going to help keep our doors open? The return on investment in new car sales is about 1%, if internet sales drive the margin that low in the outdoor power equipment industry there will be NO DEALERS!!!!!!!!!

i went through the same crap with my first 357. i bought it from someone besides the local dealer and it had major problems. husky told me to bring it to the local dealer. same s**t."you did not buy it here so the repairs will cost you lots". i e-mailed husky and they told me husky dealers have to stand by the saw no matter were it was bought. they still gave me the run-around about what was wrong with the saw but, any complaints about the dealer i was to notify husky. what ever happened to "meet or beat"? if he wants you and the neigbors for customers he will take good care of you. if not, move on and get on the web to inform husky and everyone else. marty

Latest posts

Back