Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you have the recommended backdraft dampers installed than it will more than likely overheat. I've thought about this numerous times. I'd like to pull then out, but don't want my LP furnace blowing into it if it turns on.
Two options here...a power closed/spring open damper, or a fusible link style heat dump door like Yukon sells, http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACEACCESSORIES/SAFETYHEATDUMP/tabid/200/Default.aspx
hafta have a plenum to put that in though.
For 1699 I don't think you'd find anything on the market comparable with these features .
Still on sale for $1399 at Menards...as of right now anyways

Why? 98% of the wood stoves made today have none, and no blower to cool it either

Most of your better wood furnaces recommend, or even come with 'em. Gotta control the draft some way, either a baro or a key damper. If draft is controlled and the high limit switch is working, the furnace should never overheat...power or not (well, unless the duct system is poorly designed (no gravity heating)
I guess I just find it odd that you can't cut the air off a snuff the thing out if something were wrong

Hi everybody just an update I installed a baro and I am seeing much better performance...... 250/275 stack temp toward end of a cycle is much better than I had before...less coal ...had a 10 hour burn last night the house was 70 when I loaded this morning with the outside temp around 14......My reading bounces around a little say between 06 to 09 never really holding on one more than a few seconds....not sure if that would be normal or perhaps due to the 8x8 masonry chimney .... At any rate things are much better....thanks for all your help everybody

No way!! Are you telling us you installed it according to the directions and it works better! Absolutely amazing. Just imagine how much betterer it could still be if you installed the rest of the system according to the directions.

hi guys, went threw this entire post from front to back and gota say tons of useful info and a awesome site. im pretty sure i remember another member of the site havein the same problem with his tundra but checking if anyone else has. there were a few of us that put in new tundras this summer and i know of at least 3 of them that are all failing in the same way. theres cracks forming in the front of the stove around the heat exchanger clean out door and the main loading door(glass door) sorry for the bad pics its tough to get decent pics of the cracks. all i can say is gentlemen please look over your tundras or heatmaxs very closely.
10404417_10153029288601273_7386223696744802294_n.jpg
heat ex door bottom right
10995667_10153029288566273_2737853718115974186_n.jpg
heat ex door bottom left
10443390_10153029288516273_6324347157365273651_n.jpg
main door bottom right (glass door)
11011056_10153029288741273_5140760491821915471_n.jpg
main door bottom right

hmmm think I'll watch this forum a little more before I run out and make the plunge to replace my hotblast. As inefficient as it is, it doesnt show any signs of failure or cracking any where except for those **** blowers which I've taken care of! I wish we had a menards in Canada though. Funny thing is it's made in Canada and I can get it cheaper in the states WTH!

Mine had cracks at every corner of the firebox door. This was last year after first season of use. Took pics and they sent me a new unit. Wasn't all that pleased cause it's a pain my arse to go up and down my stairs. Still have the old one. Thought about selling it and seeing if someone wanted to weld it. But didn't feel comfortable with that. So it sits in my shop. No sign of cracks on the new one yet.

After a close inspection last night ,to my surprise I see mine is starting to get a crack in each upper corner of the door . I contacted sbi today and waiting in response .. What a shame after I endorsed this product to others ..I was willing to overlook the ash drawer but this is getting ridiculous . I believe the next furnace will be a max caddy . Now I must admit I'm not sure even at a cheap price that the tundra is a good option

This is the response I've received so far.

In order to have a thorough case file, we will require some additional information. A copy of the proof of purchase. The dimensions of your residence, a description of your chimney (length and diameter) and the ducting. We will also require photos of the cracks and the environment surrounding the furnace including the duct work.

Sounds like fishing for a reason to blame it all on you. Send them pictures of the furnace, that is the thing you want taken care of. The layout of your house has zero bearing on how it performs in terms of cracks. On the other hand the house layout might well affect how well it heats, which is an entirely different concern.

Sounds like fishing for a reason to blame it all on you. Send them pictures of the furnace, that is the thing you want taken care of. The layout of your house has zero bearing on how it performs in terms of cracks. On the other hand the house layout might well affect how well it heats, which is an entirely different concern.
I agree. I'm sure they need to investigate. I just sent them what they asked for. I'll post again when I hear more.

Mine had cracks at every corner of the firebox door. This was last year after first season of use. Took pics and they sent me a new unit. Wasn't all that pleased cause it's a pain my arse to go up and down my stairs. Still have the old one. Thought about selling it and seeing if someone wanted to weld it. But didn't feel comfortable with that. So it sits in my shop. No sign of cracks on the new one yet.

Wonder why they didn't provide just a new door, instead of a whole new furnace?

I honestly don't even want to think about having to install a new one. Just trying to get that thing in my basement was one of the worst things I've ever had to do. Heavier than hell even with 3 people and a dolly I still managed to break my basement stairs because of the weight and I had to spend another whole day building new basement stairs.

I honestly don't even want to think about having to install a new one. Just trying to get that thing in my basement was one of the worst things I've ever had to do. Heavier than hell even with 3 people and a dolly I still managed to break my basement stairs because of the weight and I had to spend another whole day building new basement stairs.

Well, that sucks...maybe just get it welded up and reinforced where it sits?

I got a wicked deal on a zero cool side by side once, a freeking monster..took four of us to get it in. When I moved it stayed there....

im staill waiting to hear back from the dealer that sold and installed our furnaces but i did provide him with pics of the cracks and the serial # so now its just a waiting game. ill post what i hear back as soon as i hear more also.

Latest posts

Back