Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I have now. Figure if I add another 6" or so to the height I'll be even worse off.

Maybe I'm overthinking this? How to you all clean your stove pipes out?

IMG_2896-XL.jpg

Here's what I have now. Figure if I add another 6" or so to the height I'll be even worse off.

Maybe I'm overthinking this? How to you all clean your stove pipes out?

IMG_2896-XL.jpg

The geometry may work to take out the 45s, and replace them with a clean out t, a 90 and a bit of straight pipe. I’m guessing you have another 90 on the outside though, and that may be too many 90s for code or proper operation.

Could go with telescoping pipe...but real estate looks like it is already pretty tight there. Can you go sideways with the furnace at all, that would give you more pipe length to work with. Or slide it back further, go with (2) 90's (that's assuming your chimney drafts well enough to pull that off)

Also, I wouldn't worry about using all those 6" connections on the new plenum...I'd hook it up using something larger, more of a standard install. As long as you have at least the minimum duct area spec met, should be fine. IIRC, Drolet even told someone that in an email...they said they made the plenum that way to be easy for the DIY guy to install them, doesn't hafta be done that way though...might wanna double check with them, but I'm pretty sure they said a standard plenum/duct install was OK with them.

The geometry may work to take out the 45s, and replace them with a clean out t, a 90 and a bit of straight pipe. I’m guessing you have another 90 on the outside though, and that may be too many 90s for code or proper operation.

I do not have any other pipe except what’s shown. From here it goes straight up in a roughly 35’ chimney, so I have plenty of draft. Had to install a barometric damper to cut draft a bit as far as that goes.

Might go ahead with the T then. I’ve never installed one to be honest.

Could go with telescoping pipe...but real estate looks like it is already pretty tight there. Can you go sideways with the furnace at all, that would give you more pipe length to work with. Or slide it back further, go with (2) 90's (that's assuming your chimney drafts well enough to pull that off)

Also, I wouldn't worry about using all those 6" connections on the new plenum...I'd hook it up using something larger, more of a standard install. As long as you have at least the minimum duct area spec met, should be fine. IIRC, Drolet even told someone that in an email...they said they made the plenum that way to be easy for the DIY guy to install them, doesn't hafta be done that way though...might wanna double check with them, but I'm pretty sure they said a standard plenum/duct install was OK with them.

I tried some telescoping pipe upstairs, it’s pretty stiff and seems to be more of a hassle. Could move the furnace sideways a bit or farther away from the chimney as needed, might look at those options a bit.

2 90’s would work too. Perhaps if I’m doing that option I’d be better off with a clean out T like was suggested above?

I do not have any other pipe except what’s shown. From here it goes straight up in a roughly 35’ chimney, so I have plenty of draft. Had to install a barometric damper to cut draft a bit as far as that goes.

Might go ahead with the T then. I’ve never installed one to be honest.

Does the chimney have a cleanout?

Pretty sure I would use a T on there (maybe even 2 - one right off the furnace then another one to go horizontal into the chimney) with a cap over the unused branch you could pop off for easy cleaning. Or your baro relocated to there, in the case of a second T. Especially with that much chimney & having to use a damper - that means you have lots of draft. Ts mean never having to take the pipe apart. Well, until something needs replacing or fixing...

Does the chimney have a cleanout?

Pretty sure I would use a T on there (maybe even 2 - one right off the furnace then another one to go horizontal into the chimney) with a cap over the unused branch you could pop off for easy cleaning. Or your baro relocated to there, in the case of a second T. Especially with that much chimney & having to use a damper - that means you have lots of draft. Ts mean never having to take the pipe apart. Well, until something needs replacing or fixing...

Yes, there's a cleanout on the chimney.

I'll use a T for sure, thanks. Might try to get way with 1, then can maybe use the damper hole as the second cleanout. I'll have to see how it looks.

Latest posts

Back