Introducing the new Log Splitter Line from DHT (Dirty Hand Tools)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to resurrect this thread again, but I'm about ready to drop the coin on the 28 ton unit. Other than the 4-way wedge option, are there any other options available for this splitter that might be interesting?

Update:
I just got a response from Log Splitters Direct and they can't source the 4-way attachment. Can you recommend a vendor who will ship and can include the 4-way attachment, or can I get a price for buying the 4-way kit directly from DHT?

Log Splitters Direct will have them but unfortunately we are sold out at the moment. We will have more 4 ways available around the end of March. At that time you should be able to buy them from them. We apologize for the delay, they were more popular than expected.

Someone at Log Splitters Direct said that they weren't able to custom order accessories at all, but someone (maybe you) said that I could order the 4-way kit directly from DHT if necessary. That's good enough for me.

DHT,
dang good job on the 4 way design , like how it floats a little , that's good to have with some twisted grained wood.
best 4 way I have seen for a H/V splitter.
think you might have another buyer:)

can I drive over and get one when you get them stock this summer or fall?

I wondered about the "slop" in the single wedge as it runs down the guides, but when I was splitting some nasty elm chunks, I could see the advantage of the wedge not being snug and allowed to float around. Works slick.

I'm tickled with my DHT 28 ton.

Just purchased the DHT 28 ton splitter from wood splitter direct. I can't wait to have some fun slitting some apple wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you'll love it, Flying. I love mine. I'm glad I sprang for the 28 ton version. Faster cycle times than the others.

Be sure to check *all* bolts for tightness. I used blue Loctite on any bolts with a lot of vibration (like the pump flange mount on the engine).

Only put in 4.5 gallons of hydraulic fluid before bleeding the air out of the system. The instructions that come with yours may be wrong and say something like "4, 5 gallons". Once bled by cycling the cylinder in and out a number of times, then top off.

Use appropriate thread sealant on both of the hoses that aren't attached. Make sure NOT to get any bits of it into the hydraulic system itself.

(changed the Teflon tape recommendation after being chastised by more serious types on the forum)

Thanks for the tips. I will let you know how it goes.

Oh...and check to make sure the engine to pump coupler is aligned properly. The parting line on the coupler should feel smooth all the way around. Mine was misaligned about 1/16". Just takes a wrench and rubber mallet to adjust it.

Only put in 4.5 gallons of hydraulic fluid before bleeding the air out of the system. The instructions that come with yours may be wrong and say something like "4, 5 gallons". Once bled by cycling the cylinder in and out a number of times, then top off.

4,5 is common form for 4.5 in Europe and other areas of the world.

JT

I'm well aware of that...but it's inappropriate in the US, and caused a huge mess when I misinterpreted it as "4 or 5 gallons".

I got it and love it! Splits the hard apple wood really well.

4,5 is common form for 4.5 in Europe and other areas of the world.

JT
Odd, I have never heard of that, plus Euro land is Metric so it would be liters.

5 US gallons is nearly 4 Imperial Gallons, but you would not express it that way either.

Odd, I have never heard of that, plus Euro land is Metric so it would be liters.

5 US gallons is nearly 4 Imperial Gallons, but you would not express it that way either.

I'd guess the instructions were written by someone who's native language is not English so a mish mash of everything shows up and usually contains statements that make no sense at all in English.

JT

Like we said, it was an error on our part on the initial release of the manual. If you check the version released on our website it has been updated.

I was looking at the site, saw the powered wheelbarrow but not where you can buy it from, I tried some of the links, did a google, nothing.

Page 23 of the manual from the DHT website still shows (as of 3/27/2014) an odd wording for the fluid capacity. "Fill the hydraulic tank with approximately 5 to 4 gallons of hydraulic oil." Imho, it should say fill with 4 gallons, purge the system of air, then top off.

Back