Introducing the new Log Splitter Line from DHT (Dirty Hand Tools)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found out this morning that the name of the USA made splitter company that my friends and prefer to use has been removed from my comments since the company I referenced - does not support/advertise on this web-site. I guess this will be my final post as I can not see myself spending time on a site where you need to "pay to play". I was even told by someone that it was in "bad taste" to reference another brand on the thread I happened to respond to. Well - there were many references to SPEECO on that same thread. Oh wait one minute - I see why that is A-OK - SPEECO is also a paid advertiser. That explains it all. So have fun people - I and my friends will enjoy what we do in Texas - supporting and using American made products whenever we are able. And, telling the truth about them and how they perform. See y'all down the road!

USAmadeforme - over and out!

I could have handled the situation differently. Not better for you differently, but differently. There's a big difference between coming here and saying what brand of tool you use, sponsored or not, in a thread showing what you do and how you use the tool, and blatantly coming into a thread to steer people away from a sponsors product.

Now, I'm gonna handle things a bit differently. Have a nice life.

Non sponsor advertising

If Steve doesn't mind I'll add a little to this. The administrators and moderators know that it's virtually impossible not to mention brand names. We tend to cut a lot of slack on that, our sponsors understand the problem and most of the membership does as well.

Our sponsors are a big part of why we can make a forum like this available. Without their contributions this would be a much smaller and less informative place. Several of our sponsors make a real effort to provide information and services far beyond the scope of what's required. We appreciate that and it adds immeasurably to the knowledge available here.

Our sponsors pay to advertise here and allowing non sponsors to advertise for free just isn't right.

The main thing we ask is that you not post links or phone numbers or addresses of companies that offer products in direct competition to those of our sponsors. We're well aware that that's a difficult task and we appreciate the effort involved.

If you have a question about whether or not your post constitutes non sponsor advertising you can PM the moderators before you post it and we'll let you know. If you see a post that obviously contains non sponsor advertising please report the post and we'll deal with it.

Thanks.

And if you get a gentle nudge from one of the mods as a reminder to play by the rules, just keep in mind they dont get paid a cent either for all their hard work around here. Hell, I wouldnt want to babysit half the guys around here for nuthin! heck, i dont reckon you could even pay me for that!

Thanks mods for all that you do around here, I know it aint pleasant being the law sometimes.

And if you get a gentle nudge from one of the mods as a reminder to play by the rules, just keep in mind they dont get paid a cent either for all their hard work around here. Hell, I wouldnt want to babysit half the guys around here for nuthin! heck, i dont reckon you could even pay me for that!

Thanks mods for all that you do around here, I know it aint pleasant being the law sometimes.

Thanks, Av. It means a lot coming from a guy like you.

To some, I'm sure I'll come across as anti-Made In America commie loving scum, but so be it. I'm the first to buy USA made if I can afford it, and my job directly depends on others doing the same, but everyone has the same set of rules to play by.

Okay, I have never posted on this forum because I enjoy the reading and tend to learn more with my mouth shut. So hello to everyone.

Now, a brief explanation of why I have decided to post. I purchased a 27 ton unit directly from the company in early July and received excellent customer service. The purchase was made easy and the shipping was quick. However, that's about where it ended.

One of the stub axles had an incomplete weld so I took pictures and forwarded them to the company. They replied that it wouldn't be an issue and not to worry. I however felt that I paid for a complete product with no flaws. So, we agreed that a complete replacement wasn't necessary. I would fix the weld myself and they would ship a 4 way wedge no charge for my trouble.

Well, to date a wedge hasn't been shipped and no one will respond to my emails or phone messages.

This is just my experience and yours may vary. I would maybe consider this if you are looking at this brand of log splitter. If they decide to make it right I will post a full retraction.

Rollon, please PM us with your contact details and we will call you Monday morning to address any issues you might have. I apologize for any inconvenience but I do not have any knowledge of emails from you so please have those handy as well.
Thanks
DHT

Ps if you were promised a wedge and have not received it that is because they are on back order

Last edited:
Okay, I have never posted on this forum because I enjoy the reading and tend to learn more with my mouth shut. So hello to everyone.

Now, a brief explanation of why I have decided to post. I purchased a 27 ton unit directly from the company in early July and received excellent customer service. The purchase was made easy and the shipping was quick. However, that's about where it ended.

One of the stub axles had an incomplete weld so I took pictures and forwarded them to the company. They replied that it wouldn't be an issue and not to worry. I however felt that I paid for a complete product with no flaws. So, we agreed that a complete replacement wasn't necessary. I would fix the weld myself and they would ship a 4 way wedge no charge for my trouble.

Well, to date a wedge hasn't been shipped and no one will respond to my emails or phone messages.

This is just my experience and yours may vary. I would maybe consider this if you are looking at this brand of log splitter. If they decide to make it right I will post a full retraction.

Sounds like you're a shake-down artist.:msp_scared:

Mr. HE:cool:

DHT,

What is an adjustable detent valve? What does it do?

Also, how does the 4-way wedge work? Does is slip over the existing wedge or do you have to manually remove the 2-way wedge and install the 4-way wedge?

Hinerman

DHT,

What is an adjustable detent valve? What does it do?

Also, how does the 4-way wedge work? Does is slip over the existing wedge or do you have to manually remove the 2-way wedge and install the 4-way wedge?

Hinerman

The adjustable detent allows you to adjust the pressure at which the valve will kick back into neutral when pulled into the retract position. Without the adjustable detent if the detent mechanism wears out, or the spring is weak, the valve will not stay in the retract position until the wedge is fully retracted.....which means the user has to hold the valve in the reverse position. This is annoying at best, and customers usually end up replacing the whole detent assembly. This design eliminates that concern.

Below is a picture of our 4 way system

View attachment 310526

The adjustable detent allows you to adjust the pressure at which the valve will kick back into neutral when pulled into the retract position. Without the adjustable detent if the detent mechanism wears out, or the spring is weak, the valve will not stay in the retract position until the wedge is fully retracted.....which means the user has to hold the valve in the reverse position. This is annoying at best, and customers usually end up replacing the whole detent assembly. This design eliminates that concern.

Below is a picture of our 4 way system

View attachment 310526

Thank you for the explanation. Another question: Is there a way for the consumer (me) to adjust where the ram stops when retracted? For instance, I cut all my wood to 16-17 inches. Is there a way to stop the retraction at say 18-19 inches instead of the full 24-25 inches? I have never owned a splitter so I apologize if this question is elementary. Hinerman

I just found out this morning that the name of the USA made splitter company that my friends and prefer to use has been removed from my comments since the company I referenced - does not support/advertise on this web-site. I guess this will be my final post as I can not see myself spending time on a site where you need to "pay to play". I was even told by someone that it was in "bad taste" to reference another brand on the thread I happened to respond to. Well - there were many references to SPEECO on that same thread. Oh wait one minute - I see why that is A-OK - SPEECO is also a paid advertiser. That explains it all. So have fun people - I and my friends will enjoy what we do in Texas - supporting and using American made products whenever we are able. And, telling the truth about them and how they perform. See y'all down the road!

USAmadeforme - over and out!

I have to wonder what kind of #### you are in real life to come to a board like this and dis a sponsor's product simply because you're making the claim that their product isn't 100% US made parts which is difficult to attain these days anyway.

So far the DHT rep has shown a great interest in customer service and showcasing all of the features of the products as well as even taking suggestions received on the board.

In my mind customer service counts for more then where all the components are made.

Last edited by a moderator:
suggestions to DHT (or any log splitter builder)

DHT,
I am looking to purchase a splitter for my personal use as I now burn wood to heat my house for the most part. I've been looking for an inexpensive unit (was trying to spend $1k) but I'd rather get a bit of quality then save a few bucks. I've looked and "researched" them all (online and in person....), compared features, prices, speed, design, others opinions... This unit looks pretty good and is affordable for me.

Just a few helpful suggestions/wish list for you from me:
1. Allow for the log cradle/catcher to be installed on both sides, an add-on option or something. I need and like a large cradle, on both sides. Makes loading logs easier, just drop the log on the cradle and it rolls down to the beam.

2. Instead of the flip down stand, use a real trailer wheel with adjustable height. This way we can roll the entire unit without having to pick up the tongue weight, and you can adjust the height when on un-even ground. Harbor frieght sells those trailer wheel jack thingy's for $19, so it won't cost anything/much to add.

3. Offset the beam to one side a little bit. This will give you more space for the motor on the opposite side, but more importantly give the user lots of space to walk right up to the beam on the work side to load / unload logs and splits. So the wheel/axel is not in the way of your feet.... I recently saw a Troy B. 27 ton unit at lowes like this, and it looks to be a genious idea. Looks to be very comfortable to work with.

Good luck!

So, a quick update.

After I posted I was quickly contacted by who I believe is the president of the company personally and on a Sunday afternoon my time. Which would make it close to 7 his time. He was very pleasant to speak with and very apologetic.

After a long conversation it appears that somewhere there was a breakdown in communications and that was the reason for the extended delay. We agreed upon a mutual decision and everything was made right.

It was very refreshing to deal with a company who's leadership will take the time to talk with a consumer. I would have no qualms about buying from DHT in the future and most likely will.

Question

Ok, I'm going to pick one of these up from Logsplitterdirect....

So how should one /or what should one use to make the decision on which unit to get, the 22 or the 27 besides the extra $200?

The 22 ton is a bit faster (faster cycle time), and is $200 cheaper.

The 27 ton is a bit stronger I guess, but at the cost of being slower (larger piston, same motor).

Am I missing anything else I should consider? I currently use and get away with the little 5 ton electic unit. So I don't think the extra tonnage will be required for my use.

Ok, I'm going to pick one of these up from Logsplitterdirect....

So how should one /or what should one use to make the decision on which unit to get, the 22 or the 27 besides the extra $200?

The 22 ton is a bit faster (faster cycle time), and is $200 cheaper.

The 27 ton is a bit stronger I guess, but at the cost of being slower (larger piston, same motor).

Am I missing anything else I should consider? I currently use and get away with the little 5 ton electic unit. So I don't think the extra tonnage will be required for my use.
If you're getting by with an electric one, You ain't gonna believe the power a hydraulic has.

So, a quick update.

After I posted I was quickly contacted by who I believe is the president of the company personally and on a Sunday afternoon my time. Which would make it close to 7 his time. He was very pleasant to speak with and very apologetic.

After a long conversation it appears that somewhere there was a breakdown in communications and that was the reason for the extended delay. We agreed upon a mutual decision and everything was made right.

It was very refreshing to deal with a company who's leadership will take the time to talk with a consumer. I would have no qualms about buying from DHT in the future and most likely will.
I guess the shakedown pays off,,, :)

Latest posts

Back