Iowa Spring GTG II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings to all!
This is my first post on this site, some of you may recognize me from the Chainsaw Collectors.se site by my handle. The Chelsea gtg was also a first for me and I've joined here so I could thank the hosts and organizers for putting on a fine event. I truly appreciate the time and effort put into getting everything ready. I arrived late to the party but had a fine time chatting with many of you and putting faces to people I've only met online or talked to on the phone. Those of you I spoke with know I am more of a relic hunter than a saw tuner, but I'm learning more all the time. A special thanks to Virgil V and Mark H for their help running my two-man saws, it was the first time I'd really gotten the saws into wood. Hopefully work won't get in the way of me attending the next event and I will be better prepared and remember my camera....
Nathan, I promise to arrive earlier so you will have a chance to run one of my two-man's. Running my Disston DA-211 was a blast!
I went with the intention of selling a couple big saws and ended up bringing four new/old saws home......CAD strikes again. A chainsaw swap meet? Count me IN!

Mike J

Last edited:
chain race numbers

out of the box: ran on 371xp muffler mod only

woodland pro semi chisel 11.4 sec
oregon semi chisel 11.6 sec
Stihl semi chisel 12.4 sec

out of the box: all chisel and race chains ran on a 2171 with a muffler mod only by the same operator

woodland pro round chisel 10.4
oregon LGX 8.1
Stihl RSC 8.8

out of the box Oregon Square ground chisel 11.1

Race Chains: Square Grind

Derrick Johnson 7.7
Hedgerow #2 7.2 (believe that is a mdavlee chain)
Derrick Johnson#2 8.2/8.3
Shaun Carr 10.0
GrandpaTractor 8.2
Hedgerow #1 8.5
Andy Carlson 9.7

Race chains Round Grind

GrandpaTractor 10.2
Andy Carlson 9.8
Homelite410 10.1
Wes 12.7
MXracer428 11.2

40cc races

MXracer428 2139T 6.6/5.8
Levi 023 4.6/4.6
Derrick 2136? 11.1/11.7
Andy micro 16.9/14.9
Shaun S25DA 6.2/6.0
homelite410 wild thing 7.5/8.9
nathan red max 7.6/8.5

Welcome to the site Mike, looking forward to seeing you again.

Keep in mind that I have a particular interest in yellow and black saws that I do not currently have in my line up...

Mark

Thanks Mark
Rest assured Lefty won't be going anywhere (else) in the near future. I'm still mulling this over... you know which yellow & black saws I'd really like to have...:D
If I get a spare or you get a spare I'm sure we can do some business.

Mike

out of the box: all chisel and race chains ran on a 2171 with a muffler mod only by the same operator

oregon LGX 8.1
Stihl RSC 8.8

Derrick Johnson 7.7
Shaun Carr 10.0
GrandpaTractor 8.2
Hedgerow #1 8.5
Andy Carlson 9.7

Race chains Round Grind

GrandpaTractor 10.2
Andy Carlson 9.8
Homelite410 10.1
Wes 12.7
MXracer428 11.2

40cc races

MXracer428 2139T 6.6/5.8
Levi 023 4.6/4.6
Derrick 2136? 11.1/11.7
Andy micro 16.9/14.9
Shaun S25DA 6.2/6.0
nathan red max 7.6/8.5

Interesting #'s...
Looks like Levi found the only soft spot in the cant...
:poke:
:big_smile:

oregon LGX 8.1
Stihl RSC 8.8

Derrick Johnson 7.7
Shaun Carr 10.0
GrandpaTractor 8.2
Hedgerow #1 8.5
Andy Carlson 9.7

Race chains Round Grind

GrandpaTractor 10.2
Andy Carlson 9.8
Homelite410 10.1
Wes 12.7
MXracer428 11.2

40cc races

MXracer428 2139T 6.6/5.8
Levi 023 4.6/4.6
Derrick 2136? 11.1/11.7
Andy micro 16.9/14.9
Shaun S25DA 6.2/6.0
nathan red max 7.6/8.5

Were any of the chains semi skip or full skip? 3/8 or .325?

Thanks
Doug

Were any of the chains semi skip or full skip? 3/8 or .325?

Thanks
Doug

Derrick Johnson 7.7 (This one was a semi-skip)
Shaun Carr 10.0
GrandpaTractor 8.2
Hedgerow #1 8.5
Andy Carlson 9.7

All were 3/8"...

No .325 I know of...

chain race numbers EDITED

out of the box: 371xp muffler mod only

oregon LGX 8.1
Stihl RSC 8.8

Out of the box: 2171 muffler mod only

Oregon Square ground chisel 11.1

Race Chains: Square Grind 2171 muffler mod only all chains ran by hedgerow in a 12x12 oak cant.

Derrick Johnson 7.7 (SEMI SKIP)
Shaun Carr 10.0
GrandpaTractor 8.2
Hedgerow #1 8.5
Andy Carlson 9.7

Race chains Round Grind 2171 muffler mod only

GrandpaTractor 10.2 (LGX)
Andy Carlson 9.8
Homelite410 10.1 (carleton work grind)
Wes 12.7
MXracer428 11.2 (Carleton I think)

40cc races

MXracer428 2139T 6.6/5.8 (63PS3)
Levi 023 4.6/4.6 (63PS3)
Derrick 2136? 11.1/11.7
Andy micro 16.9/14.9
Shaun S25DA 6.2/6.0 (63PS3)
homelite410 wild thing 7.5/8.9 (chamfer chisel safety chain)
nathan red max 7.6/8.5

I really meant for this to see how fast people's work chains were and such. Perhaps mu wording on the original post was a little vague. Thank you for all who participated in this event and thank you to those who helped.

BIG THANK YOU TO GRANDE DOG FOR THE STOCK OUT OF THE BOX CHAINS TO COMPARE SIDE BY SIDE!!!!

Greetings to all!
This is my first post on this site, some of you may recognize me from the Chainsaw Collectors.se site by my handle. The Chelsea gtg was also a first for me and I've joined here so I could thank the hosts and organizers for putting on a fine event. I truly appreciate the time and effort put into getting everything ready. I arrived late to the party but had a fine time chatting with many of you and putting faces to people I've only met online or talked to on the phone. Those of you I spoke with know I am more of a relic hunter than a saw tuner, but I'm learning more all the time. A special thanks to Virgil V and Mark H for their help running my two-man saws, it was the first time I'd really gotten the saws into wood. Hopefully work won't get in the way of me attending the next event and I will be better prepared and remember my camera....mm
Nathan, I promise to arrive earlier so you will have a chance to run one of my two-man's. Running my Disston DA-211 was a blast!
I went with the intention of selling a couple big saws and ended up bringing four new/old saws home......CAD strikes again. A chainsaw swap meet? Count me IN!

Mike J

I had said earlier that I regretted not being able to meet everyone there an I have to say I wish I had known that was you with the Disston..

Dang name tags wouldn't stay on.:laugh:

40cc races

Levi 023 4.6/4.6 (63PS3)
Derrick 2136? 11.1/11.7
Andy micro 16.9/14.9
nathan red max 7.6/8.5

Too bad I had only muffler modded the redmax and it had semi-chisel chain on. I have a feeling that several seconds could have been shaved easily with better technique, square grind 3/8 lo-pro from shaun, and a little light porting. I have been regretting giving that saw to my neighbor ever since running it at the GTG!

I had said earlier that I regretted not being able to meet everyone there an I have to say I wish I had known that was you with the Disston..

I think someone forgot to try out a P52... :buttkick: I know I'm still thinking about that 133... :msp_unsure:

chain race numbers EDITED

out of the box: 371xp muffler mod only

oregon LGX 8.1
Stihl RSC 8.8

Out of the box: 2171 muffler mod only

Oregon Square ground chisel 11.1

Race Chains: Square Grind 2171 muffler mod only all chains ran by hedgerow in a 12x12 oak cant.

Derrick Johnson 7.7 (SEMI SKIP)
Shaun Carr 10.0
GrandpaTractor 8.2
Hedgerow #1 8.5
Andy Carlson 9.7

Race chains Round Grind 2171 muffler mod only

GrandpaTractor 10.2 (LGX)
Andy Carlson 9.8
Homelite410 10.1 (carleton work grind)
Wes 12.7
MXracer428 11.2 (Carleton I think)

40cc races

Levi 023 4.6/4.6 (63PS3)
Derrick 2136? 11.1/11.7
Andy micro 16.9/14.9
nathan red max 7.6/8.5

I really meant for this to see how fast people's work chains were and such. Perhaps mu wording on the original post was a little vague. Thank you for all who participated in this event and thank you to those who helped.

BIG THANK YOU TO GRANDE DOG FOR THE STOCK OUT OF THE BOX CHAINS TO COMPARE SIDE BY SIDE!!!!

I knew that LGX was a very good chain and from the looks of above the race chains can't hardly beat it either. Lol

Too bad I had only muffler modded the redmax and it had semi-chisel chain on. I have a feeling that several seconds could have been shaved easily with better technique, square grind 3/8 lo-pro from shaun, and a little light porting. I have been regretting giving that saw to my neighbor ever since running it at the GTG!

I think someone forgot to try out a P52... :buttkick: I know I'm still thinking about that 133... :msp_unsure:

Well I didn't forget at first. Couldnt find you when I did go to check it out. I started to grab it and do it anyway then got sidetracked again......

Busy day.

Too bad I had only muffler modded the redmax and it had semi-chisel chain on. I have a feeling that several seconds could have been shaved easily with better technique, square grind 3/8 lo-pro from shaun, and a little light porting. I have been regretting giving that saw to my neighbor ever since running it at the GTG!:

The square ground PS3 chain did really well on the torque monster S25CVA. 1st-3rd was all square PS3.

I knew that LGX was a very good chain and from the looks of above the race chains can't hardly beat it either. Lol

Standard LGX can be made to cut very fast, and andy and JD are pretty good at getting the best out of it with a round file....
Big difference between the best square's and the best rounds though...

Never underestimate my ability to make a chain cut worse than the "Off the roll" stuff...
:bang:

Me too, Mark! I'd heard your name mentioned and knew it had to be you, but I was either messing with the old saws or you were deep in conversation and I just plain ran out of time. I hope to be better prepared next time and arrive earlier so I hope we get a chance to talk.

The Allis 95 is still sitting on a shelf in the basement waiting for it's fuel lines. Got the pieces lined up for it, just haven't made the time for it yet. Seems it's alot easier to buy parts than it is to find the time to install them......it will be done before the tractor shows start in the fall, I expect the previous owner would like to hear it run.

Mike

Those chain times are always interesting to see. Thanks for posting them.:D

Me too, Mark! I'd heard your name mentioned and knew it had to be you, but I was either messing with the old saws or you were deep in conversation and I just plain ran out of time. I hope to be better prepared next time and arrive earlier so I hope we get a chance to talk.

The Allis 95 is still sitting on a shelf in the basement waiting for it's fuel lines. Got the pieces lined up for it, just haven't made the time for it yet. Seems it's alot easier to buy parts than it is to find the time to install them......it will be done before the tractor shows start in the fall, I expect the previous owner would like to hear it run.

Mike

I have a real clean Allis Chalmers 75 to match it.. If you like:msp_wink:

Standard LGX can be made to cut very fast, and andy and JD are pretty good at getting the best out of it with a round file....
Big difference between the best square's and the best rounds though...

Never underestimate my ability to make a chain cut worse than the "Off the roll" stuff...
:bang:

I don't really get involved with all that stuff, just thought it interesting to see those times fall in line on my own chain choices that I have made. Cant stand the Carlton/Woodland pro stuff everyone else likes but have said there semi chisel was decent.

If .325 chain was run the 20LPX would have made the Carlton look even worse.

Personally as much as I like the 72LGX I like the 72LPX better. You guys ever try to work that stuff over?

Maybe I should have left that 32" 75JGX chain that got into that metal, with JD to see if he could work any magic with it to even make it cut again. :)

Mike

Well maybe next time then.

I have a real clean Allis Chalmers 75 to match it.. If you like:msp_wink:

You only still have it because I already had one. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back