Is 020t or 200t More desirable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmctyphoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I just bought an nice condition 200t with a scored cylinder. I also have an 020t in rough shape with a good cylinder.

Which is a more desirable top end?
Should I clean up the 200t cylinder and replace the piston? Or just swap the 020t piston and cylinder on it?

I know what’s easier but which is best performance?
And I will obviously find and fix the reason its scored in the first place.

Thanks guys!

So I just bought an nice condition 200t with a scored cylinder. I also have an 020t in rough shape with a good cylinder.

Which is a more desirable top end?
Should I clean up the 200t cylinder and replace the piston? Or just swap the 020t piston and cylinder on it?

I know what’s easier but which is best performance?
And I will obviously find and fix the reason its scored in the first place.

Thanks guys!
200T is more desirable,valuable and has a bit more power due to the porting.

Straight from the King! Thank you!

So I f the cylinder cleans up nice I’ll just put a new piston and rings in it.

Anything common to check or fix while it’s apart? I’ve never touched an 200t before.

Straight from the King! Thank you!

So I f the cylinder cleans up nice I’ll just put a new piston and rings in it.

Anything common to check or fix while it’s apart? I’ve never touched an 200t before.
Check the intake boot for tears,the buffers worn out usually cause that, then pressure and vac test. Carbs always crap out on them too. Use OEM parts.

The saw passed pressure and vac test with the intake boot on. So I’ll check the carb out. But in the meantime an piston is on order.

I have a 192t and a 540xp, but I’m excited to try the almighty 200t!

The intake is crystal clean, exhaust side is all scored up.

I’m gonna try and clean it up tonight or tomorrow.

The intake is crystal clean, exhaust side is all scored up.

I’m gonna try and clean it up tonight or tomorrow.

Like @lone wolf said- check your intake boot- A: for being a genuine Stihl one and B: for splits and tears.
Order a set of new AV mounts for it and use them on reassembly- if the AV goes West, the manifold intake boot usually suffers.

That is of course allowing the last monkey to run it did not have it tuned lean or goofed up the fuel mix. :surprised3:

Like @lone wolf said- check your intake boot- A: for being a genuine Stihl one and B: for splits and tears.
Order a set of new AV mounts for it and use them on reassembly- if the AV goes West, the manifold intake boot usually suffers.

That is of course allowing the last monkey to run it did not have it tuned lean or goofed up the fuel mix. :surprised3:
Also check exactly how many turns out the H needle is set at.

I’ll check the carb too. I pressure and vac tested it with the intake boot on. It is all original saw. And when taking the cylinder off the boot also looked fine.

I grab some pics. Just for fun.

FYI, I received the saw dismantled from a dealer. The stuff they throw out is amazing..

FYI, I received the saw dismantled from a dealer. The stuff they throw out is amazing..

Not really amazing- if it was a tree service saw, possibly has quite a few hours on it- it went lean and burned up for some reason, whatever was the nail in the coffin was deemed an uneconomic repair for them to do versus a new "0" hour saw for the owner.
What is considered wasteful by us garage workshop hacks because we don't count our time, or slip in some lesser priced AM parts here and there- those guys can't get away with- and if they did the customers would go apeshite at them for doing so.
Plus, it could have been one of "those" saws that gave the previous owner lots of down time because of gremlins, so he decided to bin it and replace it rather than repair.

Odds are there is more going on with this saw than a simple piston and ring job.

I’ll check the carb too. I pressure and vac tested it with the intake boot on. It is all original saw. And when taking the cylinder off the boot also looked fine.

I grab some pics. Just for fun.

If it aint 1 turn out on the H that could be the cause depending on the elevation there.

Latest posts

Back