Is a 281 Husqvarna too old to fix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle FooFoo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 281 Husky that I bought new in 1991.I have had to rebuild this saw more than once.I like this saw but don't know if I should spend the money for another rebuild.I don't really need this saw but it would be nice to have it working again. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance Uncle FOOFOO

I have a 281 Husky that I bought new in 1991.I have had to rebuild this saw more than once.I like this saw but don't know if I should spend the money for another rebuild.I don't really need this saw but it would be nice to have it working again. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance Uncle FOOFOO

what do you mean by "rebuild"? If you're talking about replacing the piston/ring, I would do it. $35 for a piston kit, 281 is a good saw. If it needs a cylinder, a 288 top end will bolt on.

Last edited:
Do it...

I would say go for it. Have you done the crank seals in your previous rebuilds? A carb kit, piston/rings and gaskets with seals can easily be done for about $100. You could add on your possibly worn out AV mounts (1991 rubber ones) for cheap, and put in a new clutch with cup and sprocket and still be around $150. I don't think you could find a decent saw that you KNOW THE HISTORY of for that kind of money with the kind of displacement. Good Luck,

Jason

I'm with these guys, the 281 is a rockin' pre-EPA powerhouse. If you need more excitement than the "same old saw," pop on the 288 cylinder and piston kit. If you need a source for used OEM, PM me.

Most guys who get rid of their 281/288 regret it afterwards.

I've got a 288 I bought new in 89. I've thought about getting rid of it a time or two, but I've had it so long it would be like getting rid of one of the kid's.:laugh: So I just keep resurecting it. I may let her try the racing scene next year.:jawdrop:

Andy

Latest posts

Back