Is a 50cc saw louder than a 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my saws have muff mod or piped muffler. My Echo 590 is by far the loudest. My piped Makita 9010 isn’t even close.

Are you wondering pitch or decibels?
I have small Homelite top handle XL-2's that have a higher pitch due to higher rpms and C-Series and Super Wiz's or McCulloch 250 that are "louder" due to power.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

The 372xp is a quiet idling saw. IMO. My MS260 was definitely louder while they both sat idling.
It's "ding ding ding" vs "pop pop pop"
In the cut, I'd have to say they're equal, or perhaps an edge to the 372xp. Those things SCREAM with an aggressive MM. A wall of furious sound.
(My personal experience is with a Jonsered, but same thing, only sexier)

So many factors outside of CC. Port timing, muffler design, outlet location, ignition timing, can all make a difference. On top of that the perception of individuals can make a certain saw "louder". I had a MMWS 5100s with a dual port muffler that sounded more obnoxious to me than this:
View attachment 754670
That thing looks pretty obnoxious :eek:, it hurts my eyes :cool:.

I know porting the exhaust port does make the orginal exhaust louder. Adding a ported muffler makes it louder.

On the dirtbikes, one who races must be careful they do sound checks. My husky 2100 saw sounds like a Kawasaki kx100 coming down the trail. Think about it they are riding what we’re cutting with.

I was asked once by a forest ranger if I had my spark arrestors in my saws. Just a thought. If I port a muffler I’m adding screens in it too where I can.

Ported poulan 3700 is my loudest saw. Same style muffler as all my saws, but the dang thing is loud. Loud at idle, and loud working. I used to like to run it in town doing tree jobs, but it attracts red necks and They keep trying to send their wild thing home with me to work on.

Tiny 27cc Homelite XL2 sounds really loud.

372xp makes a whole lot of noise. Probably has the farthest reaching sound of all my saws.

As cuinrearview has already advised numerous factors can contribute to a overly loud saw . Porting & timing changes can really wake up the beast within , addition muffler modding will then really make it baaark !

Not sure if 50 cc saws are louder than a 70 cc model. I can say my Homelite Super XL (58 cc) is deafening. Even with earmuffs, it's still quite loud. It's bone stock as far as I know.

Latest posts

Back