Is a Stihl MS 261 more "dangerous" than a homowner saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalle234

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a MS 261 passed down to me by a family member.

I have been around and used chain saws for a decade, but mostly homeowner saws like stihl 181, 231, 250. I cut firewood for my family and friends (about 5 cords a year).

As I understand, the 261 is a pro saw, and it scares me a bit. I have huge respect for chain saws, and always use protective gear. I have also attended several local chainsaw training courses.

My question is; aside from the obvious, being an more powerful saw, is the 261 more dangerous to use than homeowner saws? Can I use a safety chain (low kickback chain) on the 261?

English is not my mother tongue, so sorry for any grammatical errors.

Every chainsaw is dangerous if it is not used right. Work safe, think about what you want to do and make a break if you get tired. Also do a chainsaw training course. There you can learn a lot about the right use and other importand things. Yes you can use saftey chain on the MS 261.

I agree that every chainsaw is dangerous. But if anything, I think typical poorly maintained homeowner saws are more dangerous. I think the single most important thing to reduce the amount of danger posed by a chainsaw (other than knowing how to use it and using proper safety equipment) is to keep the chain sharpened. If the chain is dull and does not cut cleanly one is likely to struggle to cut, and that is going to result in unsafe practices to compensate, and because the work is harder with a dull chain you tire out quickly, and tired people are more likely to make mistakes.

If the size bar on the 261 worries you, get a smaller bar.

We were cutting wood a couple weeks back and after 5 hours we were smoked due to the heat and called it quits. I was worried with us getting fatigued we were gonna slip up and get ourselves hurt moving wood or cutting. I think with the proper respect for the saw you'll be ok.

Safety begins with the operator. Keep the brake area clean, and you'll be fine. 6 ply chaps are enough. Any more ply's and you cant move.
I'd be more worried about rising ocean levels, coming from Norway. LOL

Yes, that is a very dangerous saw. They should be banned. Please do not attempt to run that saw.
Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. Just kidding. Like others said, all saws are dangerous. The 261 is a great little saw. You will enjoy it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Like others have said they're all somewhat dangerous, the most dangerous part of any saw is the operator. Wear proper protective equipment and if possible work with some who may be able to teach you if you aren't comfortable.

Stihl aint made a pro saw since they discontinued the ms200t. I guess if you trip over it or hurt your wrist throwing it into a dumpster in disgust it might be considered dangerous. Its not like it is a whale grenade.

It will be a step up from the three you mentioned in quality and power, but maybe weigh less than 2 out of 3 of those. With your training and experience you are probably a head of most, so just be careful, don't get into a big hurry cutting and enjoy the freebee.

Can I use a safety chain (low kickback chain) on the 261?

Regardless of the saw, the most important consideration in reducing kickback probability is having knowledge about what causes kickback and not putting your bar there.

A combination of both a low kickback chain on a low kickback bar helps to reduce the probability of kickback.

Latest posts

Back