Is an Echo chainsaw warranty any good ? have you ever had a successful claim ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly what i’m saying. My point is he broke it. If it is indeed a defect then yes it should be warrantied, but it just sounds like he broke it. Maybe I should see if Stihl will warranty the brand new chain i broke last week when i hit a eye bolt buried in the trunk on the first cut.
Yard tree?

I don’t see it being warrantied because its from normal usage. Thats like buying a new car and hitting a pothole and wanting the manufacturer to replace the rim and tire....it happens and is no fault of the automaker. I don’t see a reason to get all up in arms over a less than $10 part.
The part is built cheezy and it's 38 dollars on Amazon. Google, clutch cover for Echo C's 352. You can't just replace the catcher without buying the entire unit. My dealer also said he couldn't buy the clutch cover without the tensioner assembly. This looks like a money maker for Echo. Fact is a chain catcher should be built out of something other than a piece of plastic that easily snaps off. My old saws, including the Green Poulan has metal chain catchers NOT attached to the Clutch cover. If this were built right it wouldn't have broken. And no, the chain was not dinged or damaged. People who are commenting that have no idea should go find a cs 310 or 352 and look at this thing. It looks like it's designed to be snapped off. The plastic where it's joined to the cover is VERY THIN. A plastic butter knife you get at a fast food restaurant is about the same thickness maybe even stronger. Echo should do a A RECALL.
Even the expensive cars come with defects at times. Manufactures normally recall and replace defective parts.

The Dolmar PS420 is probably a one-time-only catcher too. It’s a plastic tab moulded with the clutch cover. Just like your Echo; sad, as catchers go.

You should not have to buy an entire clutch cover to replace the chain catcher. And a chain catcher should survive quite a few derailments before needing replacement.

And a clutch cover that needs replacement after a single derailment should come cheap. Real cheap.

I have pondered covering my Dolmar “tab” with something to help it absorb a hit. Hard hose, aluminum tubing, brass tubing, or??

In a country as litigious as USA, how is a design that so easily breaks a safety feature like the chain catcher considered immune to a safety recall?

Not too many good reviews for echo's 5 year warranty. Even my dealer said almost all problems are blamed on fuel related issue's. So if your piston is scored from the saw being set too lean(from the factory/dealer), echo says it's from ethanol/dirty air filter. Not good when your dealer tells ya not much is covered...

I see your point, really i do, but It sound like its just made cheap not defective. That saw is marketed for a homeowner for occasional use. If you want a better built saw then by a pro saw. If there were 1000’s of complaints or multiple guys getting hurt from it then i’m sure they’d recall it just because a few broke (relatively speaking on how many are out there) they aren’t gonna worry much about it.

i see the principle for them to just fix it and make the customer happy but they aren’t obligated to do so.

There was a video put out a while ago noting the safety differences between a stihl and a chinese knockoff. One such difference was the chain brake plastic snapping. Well, here's a chain catcher plastic snapping. Isn't there a safety body in USA that will take a dim view of that?

Chain catcher price for CS361P:
https://www.partstree.com/parts/ech...aw-sn-c51913001001-c51913999999/engine-cover/
Pos. 8
Echo 43302635430

CHAIN CATCHER

More details

Your price: $1.50

or
https://www.amazon.com/Echo-ech-43302635430-catcher-chain/dp/B008G49WLA

... and I agree, the price for a CS352 clutch cover assy is ridiculous!
Yeah, I know what it cost. And if when I asked if it was a warranty item, I had just been advised that I'd be better off buying one right off the bat instead of the dealer lecturing me on how he assumed I tore up my chain for 10 minutes when I never even mentioned having a problem with my chain, and then on here how I was lucky that I didn't cut my leg off and this and that and so on......I would've just bought one.

For USD 1.50.- I would make sure to always have a spare on hand...

On many Stihl homeowner saws the chain catcher also is part of the clutch cover and tends to vanish over time although the plastic used by Stihl is a lot more durable. On those models there is a hole in the crank case housing which can be used to make our own chain catcher using a bolt, a number of nuts and some suitable piece of hose or other tube material... Stihl parts also come at a rather high price - especially in Japan.
Saws and parts in Japan generally cost about twice as much as in the US :envy: . So, people over here are used to get creative at times. I would never spend 45 bucks on a piece of plastic that most probably will not last very long.

For USD 1.50.- I would make sure to always have a spare on hand...

On many Stihl homeowner saws the chain catcher also is part of the clutch cover and tends to vanish over time although the plastic used by Stihl is a lot more durable. On those models there is a hole in the crank case housing which can be used to make our own chain catcher using a bolt, a number of nuts and some suitable piece of hose or other tube material... Stihl parts also come at a rather high price - especially in Japan.
Saws and parts in Japan generally cost about twice as much as in the US :envy: . So, people over here are used to get creative at times. I would never spend 45 bucks on a piece of plastic that most probably will not last very long.

I'll try to post a photo.
This plastic is so thin it's laughable. Echo web site states it's a Professional saw. They state NONE of there saws are for occasional use. Look at this closely the break is visible. The clutch cover where it's molded is very thin. The part looks thicker than it really is because it partially peeled off. Note the other photo for comparison. I have an old Poulan Wild Thing that needs new gas lines sitting in the shop. Even THAT saw has a metal chain catcher. IMG_20190213_183421.jpg IMG_20190213_183748.jpg

... that does look flimsy - not very Echo-like. Does the catcher engage with the saw's housing when attaching the cover? The Stihl version does... But Stihl also offers a separate catcher as a replacement part that can be attached to the saw body.

All of my work saws are of an earlier vintage and I guess it may be a good idea to stick to them.

... that does look flimsy - not very Echo-like. Does the catcher engage with the saw's housing when attaching the cover? The Stihl version does... But Stihl also offers a separate catcher as a replacement part that can be attached to the saw body.

All of my work saws are of an earlier vintage and I guess it may be a good idea to stick to them.

There is a portion that goes into another VERY THIN part of the saw housing. No way to attach anything to the saw. Dealers mechanic said, run it as is. Don't need a catcher. On a side note I have NEVER broken a Chain, a clutch cover, nor any thing on a Chainsaw. Not even a fuel or oil cap. My dad would have beat my butt. As I grew up I trained my Grandson to treat equipment with respect. I did, however, many years ago tie an old Poulan 2150 to the wrong limb and it fell with the limb. Hit straight on the bar tip. Bent the bar. Saw went airborne came down sitting flat on it's bottom. The motor was idling perfect. My help killed the engine as I descended. Once on the ground, I put another bar on and finished the job. Which paid much more than the saw cost new. Thank God it was one of those no good sorry ole cheap Poulans INSTEAD of a superior Echo 352. Yeah!

There is a portion that goes into another VERY THIN part of the saw housing. No way to attach anything to the saw. Dealers mechanic said, run it as is. Don't need a catcher. On a side note I have NEVER broken a Chain, a clutch cover, nor any thing on a Chainsaw. Not even a fuel or oil cap. My dad would have beat my butt. As I grew up I trained my Grandson to treat equipment with respect. I did, however, many years ago tie an old Poulan 2150 to the wrong limb and it fell with the limb. Hit straight on the bar tip. Bent the bar. Saw went airborne came down sitting flat on it's bottom. The motor was idling perfect. My help killed the engine as I descended. Once on the ground, I put another bar on and finished the job. Which paid much more than the saw cost new. Thank God it was one of those no good sorry ole cheap Poulans INSTEAD of a superior Echo 352. Yeah!
UPDATE.

FACTS:
NO:
The Warranty didn't help me AT ALL.

SO: exactly WHAT IS COVERED FOR 5 YEARS??

The PLASTIC parts?
No! not in my case.

The chain, chain tensioners, clutch and bar?
I didn't expect them to be.

The carburetor and Motor?
Good luck with that. You may be told, YOU used the wrong fuel.

So exactly what will Echo cover?
Defective material?
Okay, it's YOUR job to prove its NOT your fault and the part was defective. Good luck.

Fact is:
I TESTED the Warranty and made several attempts at negotiations.
Nothing worked:
The crap I was told opened my eyes and all I can say is GOOD LUCK with your Warranty.

My dealer couldn't find the cheap plastic $10.18 cent part that should have been available. Instead they offered me the complete assembly for 35.00 plus tax.

I've made secseve failed attempts but I'm a fighter and wanted to Know I'd given it my best.

So, today I went back to the dealer with the information showing the cheaper part pulled up on my cell phone.

The guy behind the desk looked lost for a while. He went into a side room while I waited.

Finally! He states. They don't keep it in stock but,
Yes, we can ORDER it for you. NOT in stock? I suggest he order 2. One for ME and one for his stock. Then he said you need to Pay for it now. I paid and gave then my phone number. He said we will let you know when it arrives. FINALLY!!!!.MAYBE!!!

Total cost $ 11.15. I would have bought it DAY ONE.
Instead they let a customer come in with a broke saw and leave with a broke saw with no solution other than spending around 40 bucks for something I should not have to pay for. Not a great way to do business.

Money was NOT the problem. Service and Warranty or lack of both was where the real problem lies.

Testing the Warranty was my Goal and the test proved to me I can't trust Echo Warranty.

When I arrived at the dealership, yet another person, someone I'd never met before talked to me about the non warranty and I placed my order.

My Test PROVED to ME that Echo warranty is worthless.

Your opinion may vary.

Conclusion:
I can't recommend anyone buy any Echo products based upon the value of the Warranty.

In my extensive testing where I dealt with a reputable Dealer I got no help until I gave them the information that they should have given me in the first place.

Not even a well maybe we should do something for you since maybe that MATERIAL had a flaw.
How about we sell you just one of them at our cost this time and you pay full price next time.

Back when I was a service manager I NEVER let a customer have a problem without giving them a Solution.

Will I keep these Echo saws? Probably until I start selling then off..

I still like my Echo saws and my dealer but from now on, I'll be there telling my story about Echo and asking Exactly WHAT DOES the Warranty
cover?

Of course bars chains and things that wear out SHOULD NOT be covered fully and we understand that.
But parts that are NOT NORMALLY considered Consumables, like a clutch cover and chain catcher should have at least a pro-rated warranty.

Well back in the good old days those things lasted much longer than a FEW MONTHS. My Sthil 024 has a metal clutch cover and a metal chain catcher and niether have EVER been changed.

So. IMHO:
Echo Warranty Stinks and Plastic chain catchers are design flaws. .
Good day.

UPDATE.

FACT :
NO:
The Warranty didn't help me AT ALL.

SO: exactly WHAT IS COVERED FOR 5 YEARS??

The PLASTIC parts?
No! not in my case.

The chain, chain tensioners, clutch and bar?
I didn't expect them to be.

The carburetor and Motor?
Good luck with that. You may be told, YOU used the wrong fuel.

So exactly what will Echo cover?
Defective material?
Okay, it's YOUR job to prove its NOT your fault.

Fact is:
I TESTED the Warranty.
The crap I was told opened my eyes and all I can say is GOOD LUCK.

My dealer couldn't find the cheap plastic 10.18 cent part and offered the complete assembly for 35.00 plus tax.

Until I went back today with the information pulled up on my cell phone. Finally!
Yes, we can ORDER it for you. NOT in stock. Pay now, well let you kbkn when it arrives.

Total cost $ 11.15
Money was NOT the problem.

Testing the Warranty was my Goal.

When I arrived, yet another person, someone I'd never met before talked to me about the non warranty and I placed my order.

My Test PROVED to ME that Echo warranty is worthless.

Your opinion may vary.
Conclusion:
I can't recommend anyone buy any Echo products based upon the value of the Warranty.

In my extensive testing where I dealt with a reputable Dealer I got not anywhere

Not even a well maybe we should do something for you since maybe that MATERIAL had a flaw.
How about we sell you just one at our cost this time.

Back when I was a service manager I NEVER let a customer have a problem without giving them a Solution.

Will I keep these Echo saws? Probably until I start selling then off..

I still like my Echo saws and my dealer but from now on, I'll be there telling my story about Echo and asking Exactly WHAT DO you cover?
Of course bars chains and things that wear out SHOULD NOT be covered fully.
But parts that are NOT NORMALLY considered Consumables, like a clutch cover and chain catcher. Well back in the good old days those things lasted much longer than a FEW MONTHS.

So. IMHO:
Echo Warranty Stinks.
Preaching to the choir mate. Most of us already know the warranty is as useless as teats on a bull. But I guess it doesn't help to remind everyone from time to time.

Preaching to the choir mate. Most of us already know the warranty is as useless as teats on a bull. But I guess it doesn't help to remind everyone from time to time.
Thanks.
I had to prove it to myself.
I'm a very strong willed guy. I'll do about everything possible to give the company and the dealer a chance to make me believe in them but as I've said. I'll laugh next time I hear the, Oh but it comes with a 5 year warranty. .

Coffee time. Have a great day.

Back